Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't seen this yet, we now have MotoGP safety technology available to everyone. This is really cool! They haven't announced pricing yet, but my guess is the $500 - $700 range. I hope I'm not too far off!

Something that stood out to me: They claim the protection is equivalent to 18 Level 1 back protectors. 😳 Last month, I tripped over my dog in the back yard, and I was feeling it for days. At my age, something like this looks awfully appealing!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is this supposed to be better than the Helite model?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
A mate of mine has bought one, but he never rides fast, just commutes. But, if you can afford it, why not?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this supposed to be better than the Helite model?
I would think so. First of all, the Helite uses a passive tether cord to activate. The A-Stars uses gyroscopes, accelerometers, and a computer algorithm to decide when to deploy the bag. There could be times when you impact the ground and you don't get far enough off the bike to pull the tether before it's too late. The A-Stars vest can tell if you're low-siding, for example, and deploy the vest before you hit the ground.

Also, the A-Stars vest wraps around and protects your ribs, and has shoulder protection as well. And since it's computer controlled, there's a smart phone app to keep you abreast of battery charge, settings, etc.

I'm wondering if it's single use or can the system be re-charged?
I don't know for sure, but I would guess there are replaceable cartridges...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have a price up now on the Alpinestars website: $700

It's not cheap, but I'm going to be saving up...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmmm....just found out I was getting a bonus from work, I do wonder if its re-useable. $700 for all that tech and it's one use would disappoint me.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know they have higher-end vests, the Race and Street versions, which definitely have replaceable canisters (I've heard they're about 30 bucks each). I have to believe this vest is similar, but if not I may step up to the $800 Street vest. The website is saying March 2020 for its debut, so I guess we'll know by then...

·
Vendor
1,095 Posts
I have a tether one, I like that idea as I think you have to send the other type in every so often to make sure the accelerometer is functioning correctly

the one I have has replaceable co2 cartridges and is rated for 10 uses. you just swap out the co2 cartridge after use

I do like the fact the alpinestar is under your gear so wont get damaged in a fall. I use mine on road trips and at track days. it protects your whole spine and rib areas

for sure adds an extra level of safety as core injuries are some of the worst and while the airbag wont protect against every type of fall it sure has to help

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of my worst crashes was when I was transitioning from right to left while hard on the brakes and off-line, in the marbles (on the track). My front end let go when I was practically straight up and down, and I slammed the pavement directly on my left side. A tethered system would never have engaged, because I never came out of the seat until the damage was done.

I broke 7 ribs (3 completely displaced) and my shoulder blade. If I had been wearing a Tech Air vest (which didn't exist at the time), the sensors theoretically would have detected my body's sudden change in direction and deployed the airbag before I hit the deck. That could have saved me a whole lot of financial and physical grief - which I still feel today.

Not that a tethered airbag system isn't good... It's a great thing that I'm sure has helped many a rider in a big way. But the Tech Air system is the next generation, and it's a really cool thing...

·
Registered
30 Posts
i purposely bought
the TechAir gears from Alpinestar to have this later integrated in the Jacket i have :) Cant wait until the to get this :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you haven't seen this yet, we now have MotoGP safety technology available to everyone. This is really cool! They haven't announced pricing yet, but my guess is the $500 - $700 range. I hope I'm not too far off!

Something that stood out to me: They claim the protection is equivalent to 18 Level 1 back protectors. 😳 Last month, I tripped over my dog in the back yard, and I was feeling it for days. At my age, something like this looks awfully appealing!

I suffer badly from overheating and wear a cooling vest often. Do they say how breathable these are?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts