Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if I could get input from some fellow members on the forums about A-* mesh jackets. (Sizing, durability, experiences, etc) I was looking at a few different models on Revzilla and wanted some reassurance before I go down this road. My past two jackets have been ICON, but I feel like giving another brand a shot.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have one (GP Plus), it's amazing in warm and humid weather. Love it!

Revzilla have a good size chart, just remember to use Euro sizing when ordering. I think I'm about a 40" chest, and ordered Large / 52 Euro / 42 USA. Fits perfectly. I also bought the leather one too, same size, for colder weather. Plus the back protector insert. Revzilla's pricing is very good on these.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i have the viper air (not sure it's mesh? but it's definitely textile) - good quality - CE armor and i use the same upgraded ce level 2 back protector from my A* leather jacket to work with my viper. Vents very well. Would recommend particularly over anything Icon.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have the A* T-Jaws mesh. I like it as it has the removable liner so i can wear it in a little bit colder weather.

Good protection. I think I'm about a 42" chest, 6'-0" and I went with the XL. Fits well. No complaints.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a A* air jacket. Have it for 3 plus years. Looking at a getting a leather one now. Maybe the GP Pro Jacket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Like I mentioned in my initial post, I have only owned ICON jackets before. Is the sizing pretty comparable or would you say A-* runs smaller? My medium ICON jacket is running a bit tight and I would have to go up to a large if I bought another ICON, would I be okay in a large A-*?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Like I mentioned in my initial post, I have only owned ICON jackets before. Is the sizing pretty comparable or would you say A-* runs smaller? My medium ICON jacket is running a bit tight and I would have to go up to a large if I bought another ICON, would I be okay in a large A-*?
I too started out with ICON. You learn quickly who the better brands are just by asking. I think of Danese and AStars for leather and Joe Rocket for high quality Mesh Jackets. The jacket below is my current fav and question if anyone makes a better mesh jacket for under $200:

Joe Rocket Resistor Jacket - RevZilla

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It really depends - i would use the sizing chart vs. how Icon fits compared to A* - revzilla has a great sizing chart and free returns (i'm sure other sites do as well) - a lot of reviewers will post their height and measurements in the review section to give you an idea as well.

You also have to ask yourself if you're going to upgrade the back and/or chest protection. If you're doing both - i would size up, if youre doing just the back you may get away with the same size as you wear currently.

Jackets within the same brand fit differently depending on cut and purpose so comparing to ICON is not that advisable in either case.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an A* textile jacket. It's holding up real well. I'd assume their mesh jackets would do quite well as well. As far as sizing goes, I'd recommend going to a shop that has a few jackets and try them on. If the price is right buy from them, otherwise just buy online. If no shops around you carry them, then get a measuring tape and take some measurements. The measurement guides on revzilla are really helpful. Also, pay attention to the video reviews. Sometimes a jacket may fit a little too big or small, and they'll recommend going a size up or down.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I have an A* textile jacket. It's holding up real well. I'd assume their mesh jackets would do quite well as well. As far as sizing goes, I'd recommend going to a shop that has a few jackets and try them on. If the price is right buy from them, otherwise just buy online. If no shops around you carry them, then get a measuring tape and take some measurements. The measurement guides on revzilla are really helpful. Also, pay attention to the video reviews. Sometimes a jacket may fit a little too big or small, and they'll recommend going a size up or down.
Good stuff

I've found Dianese runs a bit small and Joe Rocket runs true to size. Most European cuts seem to run small and trim.:cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Their mesh jackets aren't quite as cool in hot weather as other brands but do protect more. Also, they have more of a "sport" fit. Most textile/mesh jackets have a naturally baggier fit with lots of adjustment straps in the sleeves and waist to take up the slack and give it a more proper fit. A*, as with most European brands, foregoes this in favor of a more athletic/tailored fit.

Good stuff

I've found Dianese runs a bit small and Joe Rocket runs true to size. Most European cuts seem to run small and trim.:cool:
Actually Joe Rocket typically runs one size larger than marked (except with some of their leather gear), and make up for it by having a lot of adjustment in the sleeves and torso to take it in. I had a Joe Rocket jacket that was size 3XL back when I should have been in a 4XL by all rights but it still fit me well, and the adjusters in it allowed me to keep wearing it as I lost weight all the way down until I got to the point where I needed to go down to an XL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the all input fellas. Since I don't have any stores around me that carry Alpinestar, looks like I will just get the old soft tape out and do some measurements.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Their mesh jackets aren't quite as cool in hot weather as other brands but do protect more. Also, they have more of a "sport" fit. Most textile/mesh jackets have a naturally baggier fit with lots of adjustment straps in the sleeves and waist to take up the slack and give it a more proper fit. A*, as with most European brands, foregoes this in favor of a more athletic/tailored fit.
Yep, no donuts once you're in Alpinestars! :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the t-gp plus air mesh jacket and it flows great air in hot weather for sure. If you order from RevZilla.com you can exchange it for free if it doesn't fit you. Good luck with your search!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts