Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new pair of riding boots today. Alpine Stars S-MX5 vented.

I have been riding in Sears work boots until now. I tried on some boots at Cycle Gear a while back but was not impressed.

But boy howdy are these new boots nice. They feel like bedroom slippers. Not hot and super comfy.

Definitely worth the price of admission.

IMG_3949.jpg IMG_3951.jpg

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
If you didn't wear them much, take them back and exchange them for a pair of S-MX6. I have a set of the 5's (waterproof, non-vented) and a set of the Super Tech R's. Both boots are great, but the 6 just added some much needed ankle articulation. VERY nice boot for the money.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you didn't wear them much, take them back and exchange them for a pair of S-MX6. I have a set of the 5's (waterproof, non-vented) and a set of the Super Tech R's. Both boots are great, but the 6 just added some much needed ankle articulation. VERY nice boot for the money.
Hawker - Love those boots!!!!!

Stoltec - I need to get a good tank protector for my bike... I have got big balls and I don't want to nut scratch my tank. I am sending you a PVT Text so I can order a tank Protector from my manly parts. I know everyone including the women have got big balls so Balls/Tank issue might be a "Big" issue wth this awesomely humongous group!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just placed my order for my love handles... Mucho gracias. Hopefully I will stick to my FZ-09 until she(fz-09) gets a restraining order against me. LOL

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
89 Posts
My SMX-2 Air Carbons arrived yesterday. Upgraded overnight shipping from RevZilla!! I am thrilled. The quality looks top notch and I can't wait to try them out. The only thing I worry about is where the sole connects to the rest of the shoe. I cant see any obvious threads holding them on, and with my double wide feet I am worried they will detach within a year like all normal sneakers I wear.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Picked up a new pair of riding boots today. Alpine Stars S-MX5 vented.

I have been riding in Sears work boots until now. I tried on some boots at Cycle Gear a while back but was not impressed.

But boy howdy are these new boots nice. They feel like bedroom slippers. Not hot and super comfy.

Definitely worth the price of admission.

View attachment 8461 View attachment 8462
I have the exact same boots, I loooove them! Best gear purchase I've ever made.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the S-MX5 WP and by far the best WP boots I've had, although my original SIDI Vertebrae (which I still have and love for those warm dry days) are great dry day boots esp. with the titanium toe sliders sparking away

·
Registered
657 Posts
How do these boots run for size comparison? Big, small, just about right?
I'm normally a 10 - 10.5.

My SMX-5's are 9.5

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the SMX-5s and they are great. I've owned mine since 2011, crashed in them twice, and they're still in beautiful shape. I wear size 10 US, and if it helps a lot, New Balance and Reebok sneakers fit me perfectly while Nikes tend to run too narrow (every bit of reference helps right?). Alpinestars doesn't make a size that correlates to size 10 US, unfortunately, so it was either go with size 44 Euro (which correlates to 9 1/2), or Size 45 Euro (which correlates to size 10 1/2). The 45s were too big and the 44s fit pretty good, however I think I would have been better off going with a brand that offered size 10. SOME days (just some) the toe box feels too tight and there's blistering on the small toe. It's intermittent though so it's related to foot swell. I will be going with TCX next as they fit my foot better due to offering a size that correctly correlates to 10 US, but if it weren't for that, I'd happily stick with A* from now until the end of my riding days.

*Alpinestars boots do tend to run a little wide. Not wide enough to necessitate marking them as wide, but wide enough to where if you sometimes have to go up a 1/2 size because of the width of your foot, you won't have to with Alpinestars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tim is stepping on up.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the SMX-5s and they are great. I've owned mine since 2011, crashed in them twice, and they're still in beautiful shape. I wear size 10 US, and if it helps a lot, New Balance and Reebok sneakers fit me perfectly while Nikes tend to run too narrow (every bit of reference helps right?). Alpinestars doesn't make a size that correlates to size 10 US, unfortunately, so it was either go with size 44 Euro (which correlates to 9 1/2), or Size 45 Euro (which correlates to size 10 1/2). The 45s were too big and the 44s fit pretty good, however I think I would have been better off going with a brand that offered size 10. SOME days (just some) the toe box feels too tight and there's blistering on the small toe. It's intermittent though so it's related to foot swell. I will be going with TCX next as they fit my foot better due to offering a size that correctly correlates to 10 US, but if it weren't for that, I'd happily stick with A* from now until the end of my riding days.

*Alpinestars boots do tend to run a little wide. Not wide enough to necessitate marking them as wide, but wide enough to where if you sometimes have to go up a 1/2 size because of the width of your foot, you won't have to with Alpinestars.
+1.

I too normally wear a 10. I tried the 44 and it was a little tight up front so I went with the 45.

My left foot is a bit longer than my right so the left one is super happy and the right just has to suck it up.

Both sides are super comfy and since the boots are for riding and not walking I don't notice anything being out of place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts