Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my way to work this morning I had the closet call yet (on the FZ).

I was heading up a two lane road; in the city. Speed limit is 60km/hour.

The traffic was staggered and I was in the left lane. I sped up, and slipped in between the car in front of me, and the car to my right. I had probably sped up to about 80km in the process.

As I arrived in the right lane just easing off the throttle, a cab changed lanes to make an immediate right turn off the street (essentially the cab decided to make a right hand turn from the left lane).

I quickly reacted and hit the brakes. My rear brake locked, and possibly my front. The cab driver must have seen me in his rear-view, and stopped turning midway.

I slid, keeping the bike upright first sliding to the right, squeaking past the cab, then sliding to the left, through edge of the street the cab was going to turn onto, then again sliding to my my left before sliding right (again) and nudging the curb. I had locked up the brakes for a good 60 feet.

I though for sure as it was happening "this is it, I'm going down"...miraculoulsy I kept the bike upright. and recovered continuing on my way.

The bike felt like I had blown the rear tire as I was sliding (probably because the rear shock was depressed.) Fortunatly - no damage that I can see.

Not a good way to start a day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Glad you are ok!!!! Damn - bet that was scary.

Because of that crap - I now record everything on my rides just because of your situation. If I go down, I want everyone to know it was their fault for insurance reasons.

I have hooked up a mobius to my bike--- I have it hooked up to the aux power via USB.

Mount for the Handle bar: Bicycle Motorcycle Handlebar Tripod Mount Holder for Mobius Action Camera | eBay

Mobius Cam: Mobius Actioncam Full HD Sports Camera 1080p 30fps 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay

USB attached to the AUX Power ( behind right air intake cover) on the Bike: USB PowerPort 12V 2 1A Dual Charger for Smartphone iPhone Android GPS Motorcycle | eBay

I am really Glad you recovered!!!! Bet you Probably pooped yourself a little. :)

Reactions: excelongt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you are ok!!!! Damn - bet that was scary.

Because of that crap - I now record everything on my rides just because of your situation. If I go down, I want everyone to know it was their fault for insurance reasons.

I have hooked up a mobius to my bike--- I have it hooked up to the aux power via USB.

Mount for the Handle bar: Bicycle Motorcycle Handlebar Tripod Mount Holder for Mobius Action Camera | eBay

Mobius Cam: Mobius Actioncam Full HD Sports Camera 1080p 30fps 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay

USB attached to the AUX Power ( behind right air intake cover) on the Bike: USB PowerPort 12V 2 1A Dual Charger for Smartphone iPhone Android GPS Motorcycle | eBay

I am really Glad you recovered!!!! Bet you Probably pooped yourself a little. :)
I'm still shook up a bit.

I hear you about the filming. I actually have a gopro mounted on the bike....of course I didn't have it on this morning :(

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
From your description, you need a lot of practice doing emergency quick stops so you improve your braking technique.

Cagers will cut you off all the time. You must have the skills to see them and respond in time.

Find a parking lot and do quick stops at several different speeds up to about 80-100kmh. Practice the quick stops at each speed until you have convinced yourself you have stopped in the shortest distance you possibly can for that speed without locking up either wheel. Then practice at the next higher speed.

Remember to include downshifting to 1st gear before stopping in each practice.

When I am teaching quick stops on the MSF range, I teach my students the "all fours" practice as both hands (front brake and clutch) and both feet (rear brake and downshift) must be used pretty much at the same time to make a safe, effective quick stop.

Further, once you have convinced yourself you are stopping in the shortest distance you can at each speed, then practice quick stops regularly. I practice several times every time I ride the bike. I do a quick stop at the end of my street and in the parking lot at my office.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm still shook up a bit.

I hear you about the filming. I actually have a gopro mounted on the bike....of course I didn't have it on this morning :(
LOL - You need to Tape that Sheet and Hope it never ends up on Liveleak!!! LOL

Camera Cameras & optics Photography Camera operator Eyewear

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would have to interject here and state that this guy was cut-off, and escaped a collision, and was also able to continue on with his day. Stating he doesn't know how to make quick stops seems a bit too much here in my opinion. The age old "SIPDE" may have lended to a better reaction but ultimately, bikes are nimble and fast which helps and hinders all at the same time. That cabby would have been at fault, but the nimbleness of the bike likely made it hard for the cabby to even see him. Street fighting has its consequences. Good job staying upright! Ride till you die!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
Who needs coffee in the morning, near death experiences is all you need.
Obviously, you never had our Corporate Coffee -- it is a near death experience in itself!!!!!! LOL

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
In an Ideal World we'd have our own roads, and the vast majority of them would Not be straight....:cool:

Very glad you got away without a scratch.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I would have to interject here and state that this guy was cut-off, and escaped a collision, and was also able to continue on with his day. Stating he doesn't know how to make quick stops seems a bit too much here in my opinion. The age old "SIPDE" may have lended to a better reaction but ultimately, bikes are nimble and fast which helps and hinders all at the same time. That cabby would have been at fault, but the nimbleness of the bike likely made it hard for the cabby to even see him. Street fighting has its consequences. Good job staying upright! Ride till you die!!
Learn from everything you do even if you only learn to not do the same thing again.

He did a great job staying upright, this time. But he locked up one or both wheels. That indicates a substantial weakness in his braking skills.

One lesson to be learned from this incident.

He was lucky to get away with it this time. Might not be as lucky next time and he has a chance to improve a life saving riding skill he now knows is a weakness.

Ignore the warning/lesson at his peril.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Glad to hear you and the bike are okay! That must have been scary.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Glad you survived that one, chief.

My eldest son (lives on his own) went down on Sunday. Squid uniform. Deer took him to the pavement. Bike likely totaled. He walked away with some serious road rash. Riding alone without a license.

Youth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Learn from everything you do even if you only learn to not do the same thing again.

He did a great job staying upright, this time. But he locked up one or both wheels. That indicates a substantial weakness in his braking skills.

One lesson to be learned from this incident.

He was lucky to get away with it this time. Might not be as lucky next time and he has a chance to improve a life saving riding skill he now knows is a weakness.

Ignore the warning/lesson at his peril.
I ride in Calgary, and there is still gravel along the edges of the roads. I have taken a safety course, and actually consider myself to be a skilled rider.

I did initially apply considerable pressure on the front brake in this situation (that lasted only seconds). If I would have maintained front brake pressure and a normal (textbook) stop I would have ran right into the cab. In this situation, by changing the stoping dynamics, easing off the front break ,it allowed me to break (skid) and stear the bike around the cab. The gravel on road over was a big factor in this event; too much front break pressure when I was sliding around the cab would have inevitably led to a low side, and a meeting with the curb/street sign.

It was a narrow miss, and I probably shaved a few days off my life. I do appreciate the advice though; but I think in this instance I did the right thing, and had a little bit of luck on my side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts