Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding 2 hrs ago and something didn't feel right, the bike didn't seem the usual. Approaching a red light I downshift from 3rd to 2nd to use engine brake, well the rear tire locks and I start sliding left and right. I didn't panic, and just held the clutch in and kept the bike upright. The rear tire caught on again and I came to a stop. I always downshift this way and I never had a problem, my rpms were around 4,900 when I downshifted to second gear. I kept riding and the bike didn't feel right so I rode back home. Upon inspection I found this:

100_5965.jpg

This is after I plugged it back in:

100_5968.jpg

Anyone know what that is for? Could it be the reason my rear tire locked? Or was it rider error?
Thanks

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Wow! Glad you didn't panic and are ok...!!! :)

·
Banned
739 Posts
Would have nothing to do with the rear wheel locking up. Probably just a broke tab on the wire connector. There's a bunch of electrical stuff up there on the left grip - Horn, signals, hi/low beam... If you still under warranty, they'd fix that for free.

You were probably going a little faster that you think and the rear skidded a bit. Be careful with the engine braking. Bottom line: rider error.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine was not plugged all the way in from the factory. I believe that other's on the board have said the same of theirs. I noticed it, when I couldn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I suppose it could have killed the engine on you, but that didn't happen to me.

Glad you saved it and kept the shiny side up.

Reactions: Shawn00sa

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would have nothing to do with the rear wheel locking up. Probably just a broke tab on the wire connector. There's a bunch of electrical stuff up there on the left grip - Horn, signals, hi/low beam... If you still under warranty, they'd fix that for free.

You were probably going a little faster that you think and the rear skidded a bit. Be careful with the engine braking. Bottom line: rider error.
Is not broken, it just clicked back in. Thanks for the advice, will definitely learn from this.

Mine was not plugged all the way in from the factory. I believe that other's on the board have said the same of theirs. I noticed it, when I couldn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. I suppose it could have killed the engine on you, but that didn't happen to me.

Glad you saved it and kept the shiny side up.
Chris after I read your post I remembered that last week I was in front of my garage in neutral ready to start riding, I lifted the kickstand pull the clutch in and put it in first and it stalled. I looked again and the kickstand for up. Weird, maybe it was related.

so you are sure that you didn't apply the rear brake at all?
No rear or front brake, just engine brake.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had it happen a little bit once when I was getting a bit more comfortable than I should have been. Could be carrying to much speed or dropped down 2 gears accidentally instead of 1...

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's the electrical connector to your clutch lever position switch. Basically, ecu gets signal from switch; in or out. Prevents you from starting bike while in gear with lever released. Not sure what else ecu uses signal for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sensor/switch lets your ECU know if the bike's clutch is pulled in or not. Look at the housing where it connects, there is a little plunger that extends as the clutch lever is pulled in. I'm not 100% certain that could cause a lockup but there is a good chance that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yamaha should be smarter than that. If something like that fails it should "fail safe" not lock up a tire. Maybe it popped out when you were skidding down the road?? :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have found it doesn't take much "crap/crud/oil/etc" on the road for the rear tire to skid. It is especially bad with any sand or pea gravel on the road. Which is bad around here right now as they are still cleaning off the roads from all the sand and gravel they lay down over the winter.

I also use engine braking a lot, but do it more by ear and feel than rpm's. I will have to take a look next time and see what rpm I am engine braking at??? As I do not engine brake hard, it's more smooth engine braking.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yamaha should be smarter than that. If something like that fails it should "fail safe" not lock up a tire. Maybe it popped out when you were skidding down the road?? :)
Hahaha, thank God it was that and not the rear tire that popped out.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have found it doesn't take much "crap/crud/oil/etc" on the road for the rear tire to skid. It is especially bad with any sand or pea gravel on the road. Which is bad around here right now as they are still cleaning off the roads from all the sand and gravel they lay down over the winter.

I also use engine braking a lot, but do it more by ear and feel than rpm's. I will have to take a look next time and see what rpm I am engine braking at??? As I do not engine brake hard, it's more smooth engine braking.
Same here Rocky, I engine brake by ear. I did it for 4 years with my Suzuki every time I came to a light or a stop sign. I guess I have to re-learn it with the FZ

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
That electrical connector coming unplugged will not cause the rear wheel to lock up! Downshifting without proper speed matching will, a slightly hard tap to the rear brake will, that connector will NOT.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That electrical connector coming unplugged will not cause the rear wheel to lock up! Downshifting without proper speed matching will, a slightly hard tap to the rear brake will, that connector will NOT.
When you say proper speed matching you mean blipping the throttle? I know it wasn't the rear brake because I never use it, haha.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
When you say proper speed matching you mean blipping the throttle? I know it wasn't the rear brake because I never use it, haha.
That's exactly what I mean. It doesn't take much of a mis-match to cause the rear wheel to lock if you haven't blipped the throttle and modulated the clutch perfectly, to cause the rear wheel to start to slide. And BTW, I pretty much never touch the rear brake either.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's exactly what I mean. It doesn't take much of a mis-match to cause the rear wheel to lock if you haven't blipped the throttle and modulated the clutch perfectly, to cause the rear wheel to start to slide. And BTW, I pretty much never touch the rear brake either.
Not that I need to add my agreement to triplethreat, but i completely agree. I've locked up my tire for a spell because of a bad rev match. It's really easy to do on lighter bikes. The 09 should have a slipper clutch my BMW has one and I love it along with a few other electrical nanny systems that the 09 doesn't have. ABS and slipper clutches should be standard on all bikes if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts