Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has HD changed the shock/travel on the new Street Glide?
If I remember my RK and Electra Glide Classic had 1" more rear suspension travel

If your roads are good I agree with Harry ie Goldwing/K1600GTL

On our roads in Ontario comfort means Adventure style bikes (GS,Vstrom,Tenere,Tiger etc)

I miss my HD's but not when I hit potholes and frost heaves ouch!
YMMMV

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I seriously doubt Matt's video is going to change any misperceptions, but he provides some convincing arguments. I, for one, would love to get a new Street Glide for those longer rides. Comfort is becoming more of a consideration with my mileage.
Shirley you can't be serious with that video. I made it to the 8 minute mark before all the contradictions made me shut it off. First, am I really supposed to give any validity to a guys opinion who wears fingerless gloves with those cute little knuckle holes? Safety equipment with no safety, yeah you make really good decisions and are clearly a smart guy, I should definitely listen to and heed your advice.

The rest of the 8 minutes he saying the misconception is that HD are technologically inferior and people just blindly buy HD's out of loyalty to the badge. Then he proceeds to explain that HD will never abandon it's outdated engine platform because that is their signature design and sound and that's what people who buy Harleys want. So what you're saying is that it's not a misconception at all that an outdated engine platform that is technologically inferior to other designs is what HD people want. Then you back that up by bringing up the V-rod? A motorcycle that wasn't designed by Harley and was whole heartedly shunned by the HD faithful. This guy was clearly not on the high school debate team.

The reason people say those things on internet forum boards is because it's true. HD was the last major manufacturer to incorporate fuel injection, water cooled engines, abs, and are still clinging to an archaic engine platform that despite being 1800+cc's can't produce enough power to get out of it's own way, which in large part doesn't matter since most of their riders just want to be seen, and spend most of their time sitting in front of bars or creating rolling road blocks.

Can you tell it's a Monday morning and I haven't been on a motorcycle in two weeks and starting to get itchy for a two wheeled fix?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Shirley you can't be serious with that video. I made it to the 8 minute mark before all the contradictions made me shut it off. First, am I really supposed to give any validity to a guys opinion who wears fingerless gloves with those cute little knuckle holes? Safety equipment with no safety, yeah you make really good decisions and are clearly a smart guy, I should definitely listen to and heed your advice.

The rest of the 8 minutes he saying the misconception is that HD are technologically inferior and people just blindly buy HD's out of loyalty to the badge. Then he proceeds to explain that HD will never abandon it's outdated engine platform because that is their signature design and sound and that's what people who buy Harleys want. So what you're saying is that it's not a misconception at all that an outdated engine platform that is technologically inferior to other designs is what HD people want. Then you back that up by bringing up the V-rod? A motorcycle that wasn't designed by Harley and was whole heartedly shunned by the HD faithful. This guy was clearly not on the high school debate team.

The reason people say those things on internet forum boards is because it's true. HD was the last major manufacturer to incorporate fuel injection, water cooled engines, abs, and are still clinging to an archaic engine platform that despite being 1800+cc's can't produce enough power to get out of it's own way, which in large part doesn't matter since most of their riders just want to be seen, and spend most of their time sitting in front of bars or creating rolling road blocks.

Can you tell it's a Monday morning and I haven't been on a motorcycle in two weeks and starting to get itchy for a two wheeled fix?
You're not wrong Harry, being a Monday has nothing to do with your views. I managed to get through (although I was skipping a bit) to the part where he started talking about the better resale value of HD. That was enough for me to shut it down.

If you're buying a particular motorcycle because of its resale value, you've got it ALL WRONG!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,660 Posts
TLDW...

I just don't care enough about Harleys (or really any cruiser, for that matter). Nobody has to convince me about any of this. You could show me that a HD is more technically advanced than a Formula 1 car, and it wouldn't matter. I'm not riding a chrome-plated couch.

Now, when they finally produce that Streetfighter concept, I'll start paying attention...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've never shopped that style of motorcycles so I'm not completely informed, but I would highly doubt that if you did an honest assessment, based solely on facts and not emotions, of all the manufacturers' offerings, that you couldn't justify the extra price of the HD, and that it is mainly a status symbol purchase. That being said it's not my money and it's not my motorcycle. People should do what makes them happy and buy what they want. I take no exception with that and you don't have to justify your purchase with me, so stop trying. Just admit you bought the bike you wanted to buy even though you could have bought something technically better for less money because you liked it better based on your own reasons that may not be wholly rational. We all make irrational decisions based on emotions from time to time. As long as you're happy with your decision who cares. Harley Davidson makes a perfectly fine, but grossly over priced motorcycle, no amount of words is going to change that fact. Buy it, ride it, and shut up about it. I care more about how you ride, not what you ride.

This is a general statement made in regards to the "Harley faithful" not necessarily the OP or any one else who has or may want a HD. The fact that you are here is probably an indication that you aren't one of the people my comment is directed towards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey man, looks like I am not too far from ya. Hit me up and I will roll with you. I have a ground pounder if you just want to cruise

CB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So I bought a 2008 Harley Lowrider. It shakes like a paint shaker at idle, the starter cover bolts were on their last thread and my right rear tail light fell off during a ride. I now wish loctite was sold in a bigger tube to cut down on runs to the auto parts store. I rode over a slightly sunken manhole that my FZ would glide over and my spine may have been injured by the jarring hit this bike delivered with the non existent rear shock travel. The lower stance and forward control footpegs caused the the bike to almost pivot on a conservative lean angle going into a right turn at an intersection. The fork dives if you look at the front brake.
Despite all its shortcomings, I have come to really enjoy the riding experience. It took some time and cash to fix the suspension, (sound familiar?), and I have learned how to change three different oil chambers. There is a very relaxed and soothing vibe to the hum of a well tuned vtwin. This bike is raw and slower than a sports bike. I ignored my FZ while I brought the Harley up to spec.
I know a Yamaha is not the most refined vehicle on two wheels, but after a month exclusively on a Harley, my FZ felt like a hand crafted thoroughbred. Neutral was just a click away! The brakes stopped the bike in a reasonable distance! I could lean into curves! I am going to keep both bikes, it is like having two very different girlfriends. One is high strung and requires more input. The other is sweeter and easy to enjoy the scenery with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I will start by saying I have owned two different Harleys. I am not a Harley lover. I bought each of them at different times to fulfill different needs I had at the time.

The first was a 2006 883 Sportster. I traded my Yamaha 600r in on it because my knees couldn't handle the sport bike angles anymore. Riding isn’t fun when you have to stop every 50 miles just to walk around and get feeling back in your legs. The Sportster wasn't quick enough for me, so I installed a NRHS 1250 kit. It was a beast after that. You could pop the front wheel up in second gear and ride it through third. The bike could definitely surprise a few sport bikes and it did. The bike was heavy, but offered some fun in the corners. Limited due to the pegs dragging. And I have to say this, anyone that knows anything about Harley Davidson, knows that the Sportster is the father of all Harley motorcycles and it should be paid that respect by other Harley owners. The problem is most of them are just buying a Harley because it is/was the cool thing to do and ride. They know nothing of the heritage of the brand only who's cost more, so that must be cooler.

Later in life I bought a 2012 Road King and rode that for a little over a year. It was actually my retirement gift to myself. But, it was way too heavy for me to enjoy, just south of 900 pounds. A pain in stop and go traffic and a pain to move around the garage. Very limited cornering due to floor boards dragging. But, honestly that is not what the Road King or any other Harley touring bike was designed for, they were designed to provide comfort on a long ride. I traded the 2012 Road King in on my 2019 MT 09. I can say I could not be happier. I am a spirited rider and the Road King just wasn't for me, which was my bad, not the bikes. Was it a good bike for what it was designed to be, I would say yes.

The newer Harleys are just as reliable as any bike out there. Every manufacture has recalls and issues with their different model bikes. The problem isn't the motorcycles, the problem is the people riding them and their attitudes. As I stated earlier, the majority are not riding a Harley because they want to, they are riding a Harley because they want that image of a Harley Biker. They have not done any research and have no idea what is even available out there.

The Harley Davidson brand has lived off of the reputation and admiration of generations of riders. Most of which were in search of belonging to something more, the Harley biker club. Unfortunately for Harley, it looks like those days are coming to an end. The newest generations of riders are not caught up in the retro bling of the Harley. They want the latest thing and the newest technology. They have seamless connectivity to people around the world and are not craving the need to belong to a club. I believe this will close the doors for Harley Davidson in the near future. Personally this saddens me as Harley Davidson was one of the great United States of America companies throughout history. And I feel this would be a great loss. ‘Steps off soup box’.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You are so correct about the Harley branded lifestyle. I ride my Harley and my FZ wearing the same gear, I don’t believe road rash discriminates based on brand preference. My Harley buddies were shocked and dismayed. I was supposed to buy officially sanctioned Harley Davidson products to project some fake imagery to the road going public. We are just run of the mill guys with jobs and mortgages that need to be paid. There is no way in hell I am going to pay 40$ for a branded T-shirt. When I was forced into buying some parts at the Harley dealer, my wallet cringed at the prices on the clothes and knick knacks. I don’t care what people think about my ride or riding apparel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As an owner of a 2009 HD XR1200. Which is probably the best handling Harley ever made except for the VR1000 (not sold in the US). I wish HD would expend as much effort in designing and updating their bikes as they do on the clothing line.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You are so correct about the Harley branded lifestyle. I ride my Harley and my FZ wearing the same gear, I don’t believe road rash discriminates based on brand preference. My Harley buddies were shocked and dismayed. I was supposed to buy officially sanctioned Harley Davidson products to project some fake imagery to the road going public. We are just run of the mill guys with jobs and mortgages that need to be paid. There is no way in hell I am going to pay 40$ for a branded T-shirt. When I was forced into buying some parts at the Harley dealer, my wallet cringed at the prices on the clothes and knick knacks. I don’t care what people think about my ride or riding apparel.
I'm sure you have heard the joke...What does HD stand for? Hundred Dollars, they add a hundred dollars to the price of anything that has the HD logo on it. lol

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Not feeling optimistic about the Streetfighter right now. HD just announced the price for the LiveWire electric bike, and it's THIRTY grand! So what's the Streetfighter going to run, $25k?! So much for that one.

I really thought HD was trying to pull in some new blood with these great new concepts lately, and reestablish their place in the market. But if the LiveWire price is any indication, they're just aiming to become a boutique company, selling to celebrities and eccentric rich guys. Middle America need no longer apply...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not feeling optimistic about the Streetfighter right now. HD just announced the price for the LiveWire electric bike, and it's THIRTY grand! So what's the Streetfighter going to run, $25k?! So much for that one.

I really thought HD was trying to pull in some new blood with these great new concepts lately, and reestablish their place in the market. But if the LiveWire price is any indication, they're just aiming to become a boutique company, selling to celebrities and eccentric rich guys. Middle America need no longer apply...
I have always considered them somewhat of a "boutique" company, selling a lifestyle more than motorcycles. So many guys buy the bike, the boots and the leather jacket thinking they will become something they are not...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
This post had me thinking about my motorcycle t-shirts. Can't wait to see the quilt my wife makes out of them in a couple years :)
1.) H-D = 15 + (3) hats
2.) Indian = 7 + (1) hat
3.) Triumph = 3 + (1) hat
4.) Yamaha = 1 + (1) hat

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
This post had me thinking about my motorcycle t-shirts. Can't wait to see the quilt my wife makes out of them in a couple years :)
1.) H-D = 15 + (3) hats
2.) Indian = 7 + (1) hat
3.) Triumph = 3 + (1) hat
4.) Yamaha = 1 + (1) hat
What? No Victory?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have always considered them somewhat of a "boutique" company, selling a lifestyle more than motorcycles. So many guys buy the bike, the boots and the leather jacket thinking they will become something they are not...
The key words being "so many guys". That's the thing. Whatever you think of HD as a motorcycle, or whatever it's supposed to represent as a lifestyle, and as pricey as they've been (at least in recent years), they've still managed to sell hundreds of thousands of them every year. You see them everywhere. To me, that's not "boutique".

But a $30,000 electric motorcycle that looks like it came from a 1950's science fiction movie - which, don't get me wrong, I think it looks pretty cool - they'll be lucky to sell a few hundred of these. And you're more likely to see pictures of them being ridden by their owners in People magazine than American Motorcyclist magazine.

I just hope this isn't their plan for all the other non-cruiser concepts they've been showing...

·
Registered
972 Posts
60 mile range for 30 thou. OMG they are sure going to lose their shirt on this one.
What the hell were the mucky mucks there thinking?
Where was the research? This (along with the other new bikes) could just spell their doom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Harley Davidson "Live Wire" electric bike has a combined range of ~120mi, the ZERO motorcycle co that produces electric bikes for the past few years are half the price of the H-D and the ZERO offers an upgraded extended range batter option as well. Not every model is a home run with every manufacturer, I have my 2015 FZ-09, 2016 KTM Duke 390 and a 2012 Harley Road Glide that I bought brand new and modified heavily. I still love riding ALL the bikes I own, I buy what I enjoy riding, simple as that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
How many here have ridden the new Milwaukee 8 (new engine and chassis/suspension) bikes?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts