Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's funny. I looked at the V-Rod when I started seriously planning to get back on two wheels motorized style. The engine is what attracted me. I was looking at Indians since the Victory production ended, when the exact model 2016 yellow xsr that got me into the fold again showed up. I am SO glad I went with modern engine, handling and brakes. I'd still like a cruiser though. They feel so different. I've always been ready to get a HD, but only with reliability and superior U.S. engineering, which we are obviously capable of.

Around here most wave, regardless of bike type. It's cool. I love being on two wheels regardless of the details.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I dont bag any brand I do feel Harley's are overpriced. I would look at a Moto Guzzi or Royal Enfield when riding fast doesnt appeal anymore. I dont lke the idea being blown off at the lights by a used 1986 Hyudai Excell driven by a semi blind 80 year old.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wanted a cruiser to go with my FZ-09, Got a 1997 Honda Magna V-4 750. Love it. Fast for a Cruiser and pretty good ground clearance for corners. $ 2300.00 plus 2 new tires. Only had 16k miles. So smooth and comfy. So now 3 flavors of bikes pretty much fill my needs. And Yes I have owned a few Harleys. Get one if you want, It's your money and nobody else's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a V-Rod this past winter and sold it as soon as I could this spring. It was the worst handling, shifting, braking, accelerating turd I have ever ridden. I really wanted to like it but it was awful. Of course it leaked oil. But it was shiny.....

·
Registered
413 Posts
My buddy bought another Harley last year, don't know what model but it is huge, fully dressed and has pretty much every option available. He spent another $7 or 8,ooo adding goodies to make it more comfy and faster. He is quite proud of the fact it makes 125hp and weighs close to 900lbs! He is very confident it will keep up to my FZ, even in the corners as it is amazing how it leans he says:rolleyes:. I have to remind him the FZ, with all I have done, is under 400lbs and in the neighborhood of 125hp, but he is sure he can keep up with it.

It looks comfortable as hell and would be great for long rides, but I have absolutely zero interest in a bike like it, zero. To each his own they say...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Of course it leaked oil.
Really, why "of course"?

I dont think Ive heard of widespread oil leaks on the Vrods....or any Harley made in the last 25 years for that matter

·
Registered
502 Posts
My buddy bought another Harley last year, don't know what model but it is huge, fully dressed and has pretty much every option available. He spent another $7 or 8,ooo adding goodies to make it more comfy and faster. He is quite proud of the fact it makes 125hp and weighs close to 900lbs! He is very confident it will keep up to my FZ, even in the corners as it is amazing how it leans he says:rolleyes:. I have to remind him the FZ, with all I have done, is under 400lbs and in the neighborhood of 125hp, but he is sure he can keep up with it.

It looks comfortable as hell and would be great for long rides, but I have absolutely zero interest in a bike like it, zero. To each his own they say...
I'm fortunate to live in an area that allows me choices of routes on twisty, rural, 2-lanes. The speed limit on most is 50 mph but since there is usually very little traffic, a more spirited pace is possible. If there is a downside it's that there are some long stretches with no-passing zones. I won't mention the specific brand, but on weekends riders of this brand form large bunches and ride like they are leading the Shriners' Parade. I'm not kidding when I say that their speed varies in the 37-48 mph range, and they constantly slow-down, speed-up, like a slinky. I see them hit the brakes going up a gentle rise or curve. Vehicles behind the Shriner Parade get angry and I've seen people make dangerous passes out of the sheer frustration of going 10 mph BELOW the limit for mile after mile.

Reactions: 2thdr

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just sold my "Harley" a 99 buell m2 ,I only put about a thousand miles on it since I got my fz's so it was time to let it go,i put 76k miles on it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really, why "of course"?

I dont think Ive heard of widespread oil leaks on the Vrods....or any Harley made in the last 25 years for that matter
Why? Because Harleys have a reputation for oil leaks. Specific to the VROD are at least a couple mine had.......one from the oil cooler, and one from the stator cover wire grommet. The grommet in the stator was below the engine oil level on the early VRODs. The issue was corrected on later model years by moving the grommet to the top of the cover, above the oil level. Dumb design to begin with.

These are just two examples I had in the short time I owned the chrome turd. Both were common issues to that bike, as far as I could tell from all the posts on the VROD forum.

Its also funny to hear Waynest's buddy talk about keeping up with him in the twisties on his FZ.......I found myself scraping the crap out of my exhaust on many right turns that were not aggressive at all. I swear at times the exhaust was dragging so hard it felt as if the rear wheel was lifting off the ground.

I am sorry if you are a Harley fan and this offends you. This was just my experience with my limited ownership of a chrome turd.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but I too want to add another cruiser to go with my FZ. My last bike was a Raider, I loved the motor but do more solo riding than two up. Just was a little boring when riding solo, so I sold it and went with the FZ09. The FZ09 is my favorite motorcycle so far (I've had many over my last 15 years of riding)... except when my wife wants to ride. I want a big touring type cruiser (street glide, road glide, road king) because I really want to do some weekend getaways with my wife every now and again on the bike now that our son is getting a little older. Hard to justify buying a second bike for riding two up every once in a while, so trying to talk myself out of it. I'd seriously consider another Harley, although a stratoliner (same Raider engine) or even a Roadstar 1700 are on the list as well. I do have a soft spot for Harley baggers though, I can't lie.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I grew up in a HD family...all of my uncles and cousins road them. I grew up racing Yamaha MX bikes and my fist road bike was an '81 Yamaha Virago w/ 80k miles on it. My family about dis-owned me. I put about 20k on that bike (got it when I was 17). My only other cruiser was a Roadstar I bought new (a year before they put the race cam in it) and I loved that bike, had 22k on it when I had to sell it for financial reasons. Been on nakids and ADV bikes since. I just don't like HD bikes and the stigma and arrogance that most of their riders have, my family included.
These days my bad low back doesn't like me riding a road couch, the seating position kills me...it's all good for the first 30 miles, but after that I can't straighten up. I have ridden a couple Indian Scouts that I could possibly live with, if I adjusted the pegs rearward if possible.

One other problem I have w/ them is that they all look alike...Ride down the road and see 20 replicas of the bike you're on, I hate that. I never see another FZ and I love that.

Just remember - HD = easiest way to turn gas into noise w/o the side affect of HP. :p

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If I was going to buy a bagger style bike I would run straight to buy a Goldwing or the bagger version, or the new BMW 1600GTL. So comfortable with all the gadgets yet they still have the performance to give sporty bikes a run for their money. I rode the new Goldwing bagger with the auto DCT, and as skeptical as I was, I loved it. You can just pin the throttle and bang the shift button and it shift seamlessly like a quick shifter. I was leaned over, running 80, dragging my boot slider, and shifted mid apex and it just gave me the next gear without hesitation or upsetting the chassis. Just boom and go. If I had $24K laying around that thing would have came home with me that day. Although as I said I would have to go ride that BMW too and then make a decision.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ride with a group of friends who all have Harleys, with loud stereos and big fairings. They range from a 2003 Road King to a 2018 Street Glide, with two Dynas. I get on b mode and follow the group on 100 to 200 mile rides up the San Diego coast or the beautiful backroads we are blessed with locally. My fz has about 11k on the odometer. Penske double clicker. full boat Forks by Matt, Ivans flash,Akropovic carbon, Seat concepts GP, PR4 tires have all made my bike a keeper that now feels settled and perfect for me. The guys that have switched bikes with me now want an fz as a second fun bike to add to the stable. I was not very impressed with the Harley performance, but do like the ergos and the relaxed vibe, with a sense of camaraderie thrown in. Whenever we stop for the ride lunch their bikes get a lot of attention, cruising the beach I have witnessed accompanied women throw these guys,(not a stud among them), sly waves and smiles. I have sipped the kool aid and kind of like the flavor.
We stopped at a Harley dealer and I jumped at the chance to test ride a softail slim and the new lowrider, I do not need a rolling couch. The engine seemed constricted and sounded like a sewing machine, but the comfort and mellow ride is what I want from a second bike. The lowrider fit the bill, and they actually bit on my lowball offer of 800 off msrp out the door. Then things went downhill from there. The finance guy treated me like I was his bitch to rape and pillage. Double the payment for the elite service package? 9.99 interest rate? Just sign the paperwork, we are closing soon? I have a very relaxed attitude about confrontation, my body language asks for forgiveness from road ragers when they cut me off, they probably have issues that have nothing to do with me. Guys like Mr. finance perceive that as weakness, being underestimated is a great advantage. I declined and off he went in a huff. The kid who was helping tried to salvage the sale a couple of days later, but further research came up with a host of problems with the new m8 engines that I don't want any part of. I still want a Harley, but I think a used twin cam is in my future.
I will never own a Hog Leg Ferguson. The only HD I would have owned was the XR750 flat tracker back in my racing days. That was a great bike.

If I wanted a cruiser I would go with one of the Jap bikes. Honda Davidson, Kawi Davidson, Suzuka Davidson, Yama Davidson, etc. I think you get my drift.

The Jap renditions are light years ahead of HD regarding reliability, handling, brakes, smooth running, etc etc. The only thing they lack is HD snob appeal, which I could care less about.

Plus they don't carry the ridiculous HD price tag.

Tat's, long hair and beard, wife beater T-shirt, and wallet on a chain are optional...Lol.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I seriously doubt Matt's video is going to change any misperceptions, but he provides some convincing arguments. I, for one, would love to get a new Street Glide for those longer rides. Comfort is becoming more of a consideration with my mileage.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts