Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride with a group of friends who all have Harleys, with loud stereos and big fairings. They range from a 2003 Road King to a 2018 Street Glide, with two Dynas. I get on b mode and follow the group on 100 to 200 mile rides up the San Diego coast or the beautiful backroads we are blessed with locally. My fz has about 11k on the odometer. Penske double clicker. full boat Forks by Matt, Ivans flash,Akropovic carbon, Seat concepts GP, PR4 tires have all made my bike a keeper that now feels settled and perfect for me. The guys that have switched bikes with me now want an fz as a second fun bike to add to the stable. I was not very impressed with the Harley performance, but do like the ergos and the relaxed vibe, with a sense of camaraderie thrown in. Whenever we stop for the ride lunch their bikes get a lot of attention, cruising the beach I have witnessed accompanied women throw these guys,(not a stud among them), sly waves and smiles. I have sipped the kool aid and kind of like the flavor.
We stopped at a Harley dealer and I jumped at the chance to test ride a softail slim and the new lowrider, I do not need a rolling couch. The engine seemed constricted and sounded like a sewing machine, but the comfort and mellow ride is what I want from a second bike. The lowrider fit the bill, and they actually bit on my lowball offer of 800 off msrp out the door. Then things went downhill from there. The finance guy treated me like I was his bitch to rape and pillage. Double the payment for the elite service package? 9.99 interest rate? Just sign the paperwork, we are closing soon? I have a very relaxed attitude about confrontation, my body language asks for forgiveness from road ragers when they cut me off, they probably have issues that have nothing to do with me. Guys like Mr. finance perceive that as weakness, being underestimated is a great advantage. I declined and off he went in a huff. The kid who was helping tried to salvage the sale a couple of days later, but further research came up with a host of problems with the new m8 engines that I don't want any part of. I still want a Harley, but I think a used twin cam is in my future.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Step back twenty years and they were a choice worth considering. Today? I, for one, just don’t see it. The technology, looks, comfort and build quality of most other brands has left HD in the dust. There are so many better choices. Strictly my opinion, of course.

On craigslist for the Milwaukee area alone, there are over 1000 Harleys for sale. I searched for Harleys on CL and got that number. That’s more than ten times any other brand. Once the novelty wears off, byebye HD.

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Moving this thread to the correct location......"Other Bikes"!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
sometime 2008-2011 certain Harleys had a recall done for the braking abs system,

the Harley would roll through a stoplight with the clutch pulled in, and the bike wouldn't stop, with the brake on.

something to keep in mind if you buy a used one from those years, and there may be more, I know someone who had one, and had to take it back to the dealer......

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would go back and thank that finance guy...you dodged a bullet:tongue7:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have never been a HD fan. Every now and then I see one that looks cool but by and large I feel like they've just become caricatures of themselves. Seeing how much chrome you can jam on a bike doesn't get me excited. The basic design is so antiquated that performance is a joke. I rode motocross and enduro bikes for years and have always loved the technology and performance aspect of them. When I got older and finally decided to get a street bike I wanted that performance in a bike. I'm a bit of a strange case as I stopped riding off road at 40 and didn't own a street bike until I was 60. I got a Ducati Scrambler and although I loved the bike, after a year I wanted more performance and was disillusioned by Ducati problems and warranty. I traded on a 2016 XSR900 which I loved. (i subsequently got run down in a parking lot and the bike and I were both totaled. Shopping for a new one.)
Having been back on a bike for a couple of years now, my perspective on Harleys is getting worse. Not about the bikes as much as the whole culture that surrounds it. I have a good friend from work that's been a Harley guy for years. When I got my Scrambler I said we should get out for a ride some time and he said sure. Never happened. Eventually he pretty much told me that Harley guys don't want non Harley bikes around and that he can't be seen riding with a non Harley bike. Truth be told, I now realize that I'd hate riding around with a group of Harleys. They are the slowest thing on the road except for old guys wearing baseball caps in Vette's. I'm not the fastest guy on the road or a super rider but I can still get it leaned over and air it out a bit. And what about the regular people dressing up to look like 1%'ers. Most of them look like their mom's went out and bought them brand new biker outfits. I've seen a lot of them in Sons Of Anarchy shirts. That's pretty embarrassing. I have to be fair though, I've seen a bunch of guys riding BMW and KTM type adventure bikes wearing spotlessly clean full motocross outfits. That's worse than the pirate costume. I've also noticed the Harley show of riding skill.....ride around with only 1 hand on the bars. That's awe inspiring although not as awe inspiring as straight pipes. How can you not be in awe of something that makes that much noise but goes that slow? The thing that really has pushed me to write this rant is the comments that Harley guys have made to me about the bikes I ride. For example - "what's that thing supposed to be?" And then there are the times that I have pulled up next to them at a stop light. They start blipping the throttle and stare at me like I should be intimidated and then punch it off the line like they're going to give me a lesson. This has happened a bunch of times and is a lot of fun because I think that they see these upright standard type bikes and think they're underpowered small bore bikes. When you smoke em their reaction is funny. They slow down to a crawl, or pull off. Never had one ride up along side of me at the next light. I missed my midlife crisis and went straight to my late life crisis but I'm having a blast back on a bike. I ride alone most of the time because the majority of the old guys ride HD and I'm not in the club. Fortunately for me I live in a great area for sport type bikes and I ride for the pure joy of it. I put on 7500 miles last year and had 1900 miles in 6 weeks on my Yamaha before my wreck. Hoping to be back out there very soon. I know a lot of HD guys will be pissed at this post but hey, I've never confronted a Harley guy and insulted him because of his bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Harley's are for fags (ref Southpark) and chromosexuals, all show and no go. Usually owned in the UK by dentists and accountants dressed like Wild Hogs. Apologies for the stereotype :p

I'd rather have anything else, if I were to look at cruisers, it would never be a Harley, it would be something British or Jap.

But fair enough if it appeals mate, if we all liked the same things what a boring world we would be living in!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I was fairly certain that I was going to get a new 2018 HD...either the Sport Glide, or the Fat Boy. After looking at both just couldn't justify the price, especially considering that this was going to be a second bike with very limited riding. But I happened to go into a Victory dealership that was transitioning over to Indian and had a 2016 Victory Hammer S as their last new Victory off-the-showroom floor bike. I got it for a good deal and its a wonderful machine....along with a 24 month warranty. You can find some excellent deals on Victorys...mostly used since almost all the new bikes have been sold, but I've noticed that prices have started to climb back up since supply is limited. Here's my bike.
100_9491.JPG
100_9492.JPG

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I saw a Victory identical to yours angle parked by a sidewalk I was on. I had to circle it a few times to take it all in. Too big and heavy for me, but I must admit I was definitely wowed. Nice bike.

So, do the Harley guys let you ride with them?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Harley Davidson is a dying brand, old and tired with nothing new to offer, well maybe if you're in the market for a bicycle that is...they are making an effort there. yet another waste of money like the Livewire electric motorcycle that had a very, very similar design as the Buell XB's with Buell aftermarket ideas included. And still clueless as where they are heading as usual. they had a sport bike division, Buell Motorcycle Company, closed it down to "focus" on the Harley brand...yeah, right so they bought MV Agusta motorcycles and sold them 11 months after purchase. last year they bid on trying to buy Ducati motorcycle, that didn't happen either. closed a facility stateside, plans to open one out of the country, and make bicycles now.

Harley Davidson, I have a phrase for ya..."Karma is a bitch"

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I saw a Victory identical to yours angle parked by a sidewalk I was on. I had to circle it a few times to take it all in. Too big and heavy for me, but I must admit I was definitely wowed. Nice bike.

So, do the Harley guys let you ride with them?
I almost can't remember the last time I rode with anyone...I'm not really a fan of group rides and the few people I'm friends with that have bikes still work (I'm retired). The only one I know who has a new Harley is my brother who ironically lives just four houses away from me, but sadly I don't see him unless he passes by on his bicycle. I get "waves" from all sorts of people....mainly from folks on sport bikes...not so much from the Harley riders.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Interesting. In my area, I exchange waves with 99% of bikes I meet, Harleys and the rest. Even the pillions wave. All two lane country roads. Maybe it’s the index finger pointing at the highway that triggers the response.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Are you absolutely sure those women waving at the Harley riders were really women?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Harley's are for fags (ref Southpark) and chromosexuals, all show and no go. Usually owned in the UK by dentists and accountants dressed like Wild Hogs. Apologies for the stereotype :p

I'd rather have anything else, if I were to look at cruisers, it would never be a Harley, it would be something British or Jap.

But fair enough if it appeals mate, if we all liked the same things what a boring world we would be living in!
The funny thing is, because I own the new Fat Bob, a lot of these guys don't talk to me anyway in the UK because it's not a 'real' Harley. But yeah, really comical seeing the 'chapter' meet up.

Straight choice between a Fat Bob and a Speedmaster. The HD just had more about it. And I don't like chrome...

Reactions: donbiddinger

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The funny thing is, because I own the new Fat Bob, a lot of these guys don't talk to me anyway in the UK because it's not a 'real' Harley. But yeah, really comical seeing the 'chapter' meet up.

Straight choice between a Fat Bob and a Speedmaster. The HD just had more about it. And I don't like chrome...
you should try riding a Sportster...you know, the girls bike..half a Harley....I've heard them all...usually from fat old guys who ride 75 miles a year ..

·
Registered
53 Posts
you should try riding a Sportster...you know, the girls bike..half a Harley....I've heard them all...usually from fat old guys who ride 75 miles a year ..
I had a V-rod for a few years before the FZ. I think they're just as bad or worse than the Sportster as far as the loyalists go (a radiator, oh the horror). I don't care though, I still wave at everyone on 2 or 3 wheels.

Reactions: Crosshairs
1 - 20 of 65 Posts