Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my FZ09 last week; I was torn between red and graphite, but someone bought the graphite, and the red one in-crate at my dealer was the only one I could find in the area, so that made the decision easier. I locked that thing up before someone else swooped in to buy it, even got a good deal (around $8300 OTD, dealer's offer was several hundred below MSRP and no freight/setup, and understandably, wouldn't budge off that given the demand).

Anyhow, I've got almost 300 miles on it at this point, and am loving it. Coming from a Buell 1125CR, the bike is really surprising me. It feels every bit as fast as the 1125 did, and gets better fuel mileage to boot! It's a hooligan bike, that's for sure!

I do need to tweak the suspension. I'm around 190 pounds in full gear, so I'm hoping I can get the stock suspension to an acceptable point.

My only main complaint is that I don't like the front brakes. They feel completely numb, though I'm slowly getting used to it.

As far as the seat goes, I did 160 miles yesterday, and it didn't bother me much at all. With some of the complaints, I was expecting it to be a lot less comfortable than it ended up being over several hours. I may pick up a saddlemen seat once they get released, depends if this seat continues being sufficient or not.

I just ordered a handful of mods to get started - OES slider/spool package, vizi-tek brake light modulator, accessory power plug. Need to mount my GPS as well, was debating whether or not to pick up the Yamaha GPS mount or just use the RAM mount. Might pick up a flyscreen too, not sure.

I'm also trying to figure out luggage options, I'd love some nice hard bags, and bonus points if the frame is removable as well, waiting on new options for that to come out, as well as the woodcraft case covers. Maybe some shorty levers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the review and I understand needing to carry things when your on your bike but putting hard bags on this sexy naked bike would be like cutting the top off a new corvette so you could use the back half as a pickup truck :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the review and I understand needing to carry things when your on your bike but putting hard bags on this sexy naked bike would be like cutting the top off a new corvette so you could use the back half as a pickup truck :)
I hear ya there. I'd love to be able to find something easily removable like I had with my last bike (the luggage system was welded on to a pillion seat frame, so I could pop it on and off as necessary).

Maybe your brake pads haven't finished bedding in? Stoltec in the Venders section has brake lines.
Stainless brake lines are something I will probably do at some point. I didn't think bedding in affected brake feel much though, just performance? Plenty of the reviews also complained about brake feel, so I don't think I'm alone here in noticing the numb feeling, but most seem to say the stainless lines make a big improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts