Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody,

I've been a "lurker" for the past few weeks now, checking out active topics almost every day. At this point, I thought I might commit to making account so that I can actively participate in the forum. I can tell that there are great people here, and I'd be honored to be part of the community.

A little background information on myself: My name is Max, I'm currently 21 years old, and currently in Arizona to finish up college. I grew up in the same house on the California coast for all of my life, and plan to move back there as soon as I'm done with my acquiring my degree. I started riding when I was 17 years old, with a 1991 Suzuki GSX1100G. It was heavy, but it was fast. Unfortunately, the excitement of riding blinded me from making a decent craigslist decision - I bought the bike with 77,000 miles on it, and rode it for about 8,000 more before selling it for a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800. I wanted to try something new, so I rode that cruiser for 2 years before moving away to college, at which point I sold the bike so that I could pay for college expenses.

Fast forward to current day. One thing I've learned from my college experience is that I absolutely cannot live without a bike. So, last September, I bought myself a little 1977 Suzuki GS400 with 6,000 miles for $500. I've been working in my apartment complex's garage with limited tools since then, customizing it to the best of my ability (with the help of a Clymer's manual). While I've had an absolute blast working on the bike, I need something modern. Something fast.

Enter the FZ-09. It's a triple, it's got torque, it's got character. And, with the low price, it was a bike that I could realistically see purchasing in the near future. I currently have a job (a minimum-wage one, unfortunately), and am saving up to purchase the bike myself. Last week, I walked 20 or so miles into the nearest Yamaha dealership to see the bike in person and check out the ergonomics. It's physically beautiful, and ergonomically it's perfect for me (6'2" rider). Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the bike by the end of the year, after I've moved back to California. I can't express enough of how I excited I am to pick the 'Niner up.

That's enough story time for now - thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome!

The good news is that by the end of the year the 2015's will be coming out, so maybe you can snatch up a leftover 2014 at a great price!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Max,
It would be great if you could buy the bike in Arizona (or nearby non-Calif. state) and put the reqiured 7500 miles on it to bring it into Calif. as a used vehicle. If you've been watching the OTD prices here in Cali. you'll know why, plus you wouldn't have the evap. charcoal canister and plumbing though that's not a big deal...just my first thought when you said you lived in Arizona...Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.
And thanks for the suggestion, Mark. That could be a good route to go, considering my financial restrictions.
In terms of buying in California - do the charcoal canister + emission regulating parts inhibit the bikes performance at all?

·
Registered
885 Posts

Welcome, Mad Max! Sounds like you have a good plan to get your FZ-09. Best wishes and please check in often!

·
Registered
186 Posts
No, they don't but if you drop some bikes so equipped it can make a restart a bit difficult sometimes as the tank will vent fuel into the canister and end up being sucked back into the airbox. It's just that sometimes the evap. can and parts are hung on a bike like an after thought and stick out big and ugly. It's real hard to find an FZ-09 around the bay area for less than about $9200 and most are trying for closer to $9600 and up whereas in other states they can be found for a lot less, check the post on OTD pricing...it was just a thought...availability may be better out of Cali. also...Mark

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.
And thanks for the suggestion, Mark. That could be a good route to go, considering my financial restrictions.
In terms of buying in California - do the charcoal canister + emission regulating parts inhibit the bikes performance at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mad Max from Cali.... and not from down under UUHhhh!!:evil6:
Don't worry, I'll be moving down there when I apply for the Main Force Patrol.

No, they don't but if you drop some bikes so equipped it can make a restart a bit difficult sometimes as the tank will vent fuel into the canister and end up being sucked back into the airbox. It's just that sometimes the evap. can and parts are hung on a bike like an after thought and stick out big and ugly. It's real hard to find an FZ-09 around the bay area for less than about $9200 and most are trying for closer to $9600 and up whereas in other states they can be found for a lot less, check the post on OTD pricing...it was just a thought...availability may be better out of Cali. also...Mark
I appreciate the info. I'll have to do some more research. I'd prefer not to have the extra plumbing, but if it comes down to being the only model available, I'll take it. That price is terrible, though, considering that one of the niner's strong points is it's relatively low cost. Not to say that the bike isn't worth it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The plumbing comes off real easy so not a big deal. Here in the SF bay area the dealers want MSRP plus $475 freight, $280 set up, $720 tax (9%) $65 license, small tire surcharge, etc. but other places (states) are selling them for MSRP and tax and waving the other stuff so there is definitely bargaining room and once there is more supply you'll see more realistic OTD prices I think...Mark

Don't worry, I'll be moving down there when I apply for the Main Force Patrol.

I appreciate the info. I'll have to do some more research. I'd prefer not to have the extra plumbing, but if it comes down to being the only model available, I'll take it. That price is terrible, though, considering that one of the niner's strong points is it's relatively low cost. Not to say that the bike isn't worth it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, um yeah
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Think I saw the Rolling Stones in 1991. Good luck in your endeavor to get this amazing machine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for such a warm reception, everyone. AND for the Stones reference. That happens to be one of my favorite songs, I was planning on seeing them on their upcoming tour.

Max, if I win Powerball Tomorrow you will own an FZ-09.
I appreciate the gesture, but I could never accept such a generous gift. I have yet to buy a brand new motorcycle for myself - for me, the journey of acquiring my dream bike through hard work is half the fun. And after the machine is finally in my garage, I'll take pride in the knowledge that she's mine, and mine alone. Tell you what - when you win tomorrow, buy me a beer, and spend the rest on people who need it.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts