Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to install an aftermarket LED tail light as well as some front turn signals, (the tail light has integrated signals). Let me say that i'm not the best with electronics, anyways I must have made a bad connection or something because none of my lights will turn on now when I turn the key. The bike starts fine and the digital display lights up. But my headlight, running lights, hazards, signals and brake light does not work. The issue started when I tried connecting the left front signal. The tail light hooked up fine and worked great. But has now stopped working after the front signal install attempt.

Anyone have any idea what I've done? I checked the fuses and they seem fine, though, I can't say for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm not as mechanical as most here but it sounds to me like you've got an electrical issue.:cool:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The fuse panel for the signals is behind the right side 'air scoop'. There's a chance if you cross wired the front blinkers it may be grounding out the system, but I'd still take the easy path first-check your headlight and signal fuses...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm not as mechanical as most here but it sounds to me like you've got an electrical issue.:cool:

+1, Very astute observation, doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check the fuses more carefully tomorrow. But since every light isn't working would it mean that all the fuses have blown?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That would be quite the accomplishment if you blew all the fuses! If they are ok, start undoing what you did, in reverse order to see if you can get anything working again. I accidently crossed wires when I was installing led signals and blew the 7.5 amp fuse... :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe you reversed the polarity when you installed the turn signals. Are they led's as well? Because led's are polarity sensitive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The head light and turn signals are not normally on the same fuse due to safety. Check all your connection at the rear of your head light. Maybe one didn't fully make connection. I upgraded my turn signals also and they all are working fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
If you blew a fuse or multiple fuses, something is connected wrong. Fuses do NOT normally blow for no reason. If what you said was true that the rear taillight/brake light was working fine BEFORE you started doing the front turn signals, you have a very good place to start search for what you wired up wrong. On the outside possibility, there is always a chance that the new turn signal unit that you bought for the front could be defective also, instead of a wiring mistake.....but the most likely scenario is something is wired wrong.

Reactions: TotesMagotes

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys were right, I looked closer and the signal fuse was indeed blown, replacing it fixed the problem. I guess I was somewhat dumbfounded since every single light wasn't working. Replacing the one signal fuse gave me back my running lights, tail light, brake light, signals and horn. Now I just have to wait for the proper connectors to arrive before hooking up the front signals.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, this is an area that I don't know much about.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just make sure you have a solid tidy tail or else it will snap and you have to rewire everything again lmao.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts