Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally purchased the 09 and it is in my most humble motorcycle opinion "FREAKING AWSOME" The stock exhaust is rather quiet and does not really compliment the power in my opinion. I'm truly not concerned at this moment with more power, but I would love to make this bike louder. I kept reading about slip on exhaust systems and I did not fully understand what that meant. I took it that you could unbolt and unclamp the rear muffler etc and simply slip a new one on. I see that anything that boasts that "slip on exhaust" means you have to butcher/ cut your stock exhaust. I am requesting as much info as possible about exhaust modifications and what they "ballpark" cost and what it takes to install please.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put on an M4 slip on and so far so good..There is nothing like a full exhaust but my funs are low so I decided to get the M4. I paid $370

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm an FZ09 noob but yea, any slip on requires cutting the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I finally purchased the 09 and it is in my most humble motorcycle opinion "FREAKING AWSOME" The stock exhaust is rather quiet and does not really compliment the power in my opinion. I'm truly not concerned at this moment with more power, but I would love to make this bike louder. I kept reading about slip on exhaust systems and I did not fully understand what that meant. I took it that you could unbolt and unclamp the rear muffler etc and simply slip a new one on. I see that anything that boasts that "slip on exhaust" means you have to butcher/ cut your stock exhaust. I am requesting as much info as possible about exhaust modifications and what they "ballpark" cost and what it takes to install please.
With the 09 stock exhaust the pipe and muffler are welded together. You would need to remove the stock exhaust, cut it at the muffler. I don't know if there is any preparation after that point to make it ready for an aftermarket slip on muffler. I suspect there is, but I've never done it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
True so you would need some tools like a cut off tool and a grinding wheel..

·
Registered
54 Posts
you have to smooth out the weld spot to allow the slip on exhaust to fit ...its a little bit of a PITA

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
so your looking for more bark and no bite? Run a straight pipe :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just FYI, my dealer said they would charge $50 to do an M4 slip on for the FZ-09. Seemed pretty reasonable. You might check locally on rates of an install if you don't have the tools.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Andy8199 was looking for all options for the FZ-09..I was telling him about my M4 pipe.. But if he want all options he should google search yamaha FZ-09 exhaust systems.
all The main players have full exhaust systems and they are all around 1,200 bucks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Just FYI, my dealer said they would charge $50 to do an M4 slip on for the FZ-09. Seemed pretty reasonable. You might check locally on rates of an install if you don't have the tools.
Personally, for the street I prefer quiet. But charging $50 labor to install a slip on is a good price I think, if they do a good job.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just FYI, my dealer said they would charge $50 to do an M4 slip on for the FZ-09.

Seemed pretty reasonable.

You might check locally on rates of an install if you don't have the tools.
Personally, for the street I prefer quiet.

But charging $50 labor to install a slip on is a good price I think, if they do a good job.

Hell, I have a full machine shop and 45 years working on bikes and I would pay the 50 bux if that were an option.

·
Registered
877 Posts
you have to smooth out the weld spot to allow the slip on exhaust to fit ...its a little bit of a PITA
A little PITA ?

It took longer to do the grinding, than the rest of the install put together.

My luck to have a cold weld the was 1/8 inch off the surface.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Some people like the weight loss, aesthetics, and sound of an exhaust.
I know those are all factors for my decision making process. ;)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not to be Captain Buzzkill .... but ...

$1000+ is a lot of money to spend just to gain 7 Hp and make louder noises.
maybe for you...I am just tickled with my arrow full system. And I did the group buy, so we got it for quite a bit less than $1000.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts