Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm dying to do a shock conversion but my 08/09 zx6r shock is too long and hits the clevis. I was wondering if anyone or some of you guys can list all the shocks that work so I can finally complete this, I know the main shock to use is an 05/06 zx6rr shock but I can't get my hands on one anywhere, I can however get a hold of a rear shock from an 06 636 if that will work, please help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
05/06 ZX6R (636), 08-10 ZX10R and 05-06 ZX6RR are all known to work well.

The RR is best because it's the same length as stock, roughly the same spring strength, and has high-speed compression adjustment. It's also quite hard to find.

The ZX10R has a fairly heavy spring, but I'm not certain of the adjustments. A lot of people with a ZX10R shock put the stock FZ-09 spring on it, I believe. They're very available on eBay, but tend to run close to $100.

The ZX6R is the worst of the three options, but is still better than stock. It has a spring that's significantly lighter than stock (so not ideal if you're up near 200 pounds) and compression and rebound adjustment. It's also extremely easy to find on eBay for anywhere from $20-$50.

I personally have a ZX6R shock that works well. I'm about 190 without gear, so I'd ideally have a heavier spring, but I'm just dealing with it for now. I'd like to find a ZX6RR shock to upgrade to eventually.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for he info, I'm sure this will help any future fz owners as well, as long as I can find a shock to fit I don't mind having to spend another few bucks to upgrade the spring

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ebay or try SVrider in the classified section. There's tons of info over there on applicable shock lengths and conversions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts