Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I noticed my rear sprocket isnt aligned today when I first put the bike on rear wheel stand. Sprocket waves and chain snakes slightly on idle in 1st gear. After trying to balance the wheel with increment indicators on axle sliders i noticed some damage that might be resulted from hitting a pothole (I live in new york city) or forgetting to loosen the axle nut when adjusting chain slack (im still learning). The bearings are fine i had them changed with new tires chain and sprockets some time ago. Chain isnt unevenly stretched either. I have already ordered this part. Could it be the cause of my problem or i should keep looking?
os.jpg

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I wouldn't sweat that damage at all. If you're going by the tick marks on the axle blocks then they are notoriously not even. The best way to align your wheel is one of those light/magnets on your sprocket, the motion pro alignment tool, or some yarn around the rear tire.

Reactions: Camp49

·
Registered
413 Posts
First time I aligned my wheels was the string method. Then went the two 2x4 method, the measured from rear axle to swing arm pivot bolt and now the easiest way is the 16 dollar motion pro alignment tool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't sweat that damage at all. If you're going by the tick marks on the axle blocks then they are notoriously not even. The best way to align your wheel is one of those light/magnets on your sprocket, the motion pro alignment tool, or some yarn around the rear tire.
6 year old post I know, but I just got my mt-09 and was using the alignment marks to align the chain. Then I got in my motion pro alignment tool with the steel bar, which seems pretty fool proof. After using the tool my alignment marks looked off. Your saying you noticed the same thing I guess? Seems so odd to me, but I'm no certified mechanic lol.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
6 year old post I know, but I just got my mt-09 and was using the alignment marks to align the chain. Then I got in my motion pro alignment tool with the steel bar, which seems pretty fool proof. After using the tool my alignment marks looked off. Your saying you noticed the same thing I guess? Seems so odd to me, but I'm no certified mechanic lol.
I got my first bike in 2011, and have never used the tick marks to align the rear wheel. In those months leading up to the first bike I spent a lot of time reading up and educating myself on bikes and such. One common "fear" of mine was regular maintenance. On those searches I'd read countless warnings on how untrustworthy the swingarm tick marks could be.

So long story short, I've never used the tick marks, nor took the time to validate how far off they may be. Just always used yarn/MP tool. I'd go look now, but I've got chinese chain adjusters on... and I'm sure that wouldn't help the issue lol.

Reactions: Heavyd490
1 - 5 of 5 Posts