Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it going to (or would it) be possible to get the Aluminum/silver colored fork shrouds here in the U.S. like on the MT-09? The gold is the only thing bothering me.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to....the fork shrouds! If you are referring to the upper fork tube, I seriously doubt that will be optional in color. I've been riding for 42 years and I've never seen that as an option for a motorcycle unless there is a "R" version produced that most like will have Ohlins forks on it from the factory......and guess what.......Ohlins forks are......GOLD! The fork tubes are anodized aluminum and since I don't know much about that kind of stuff, maybe there is a possibility that you could take the forks off over the winter and disassemble them and have the tubes anodized to a different color. I would say that it would be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, not as an option but a replacement. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to replace just the upper fork tube or shroud that is gold anodized with the EU silver ones, not the whole forks. I have a buddy that can rebuild forks, seen him fix some jacked-up ones after crashes. Can/would it be possible to order those from Europe?

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, not as an option but a replacement. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to replace just the upper fork tube or shroud that is gold anodized with the EU silver ones, not the whole forks. I have a buddy that can rebuild forks, seen him fix some jacked-up ones after crashes. Can/would it be possible to order those from Europe?
The upper fork "stanchion" tubes will come only in gold for the U.S. market. I'm sure they will cost $300 - $400 each (I've had to replace one before, and couldn't find a used one). However I've also painted them, which was easily done in an afternoon for about $10 with rattle cans. And the results came out looking factory, and the paint-base coat/clearcoat held up just fine. Anodizing would be cheaper than replacement, but both of those options require disassembly, painting them at home does not. I did remove my forks from the bike to paint them, but you could paint them on the bike I suppose with a lot more prep work to cover everything. I have also heard of someone using Blue (of all colors) heat shrink tubing to change the color of his forks. I had no idea heat shrink tubing came in a size that large, or a color other than black. Apparently it does, and he posted pics after he was done. So personally, I think the color is so easily changed that it's a non issue, if you don't care for stock. Hope that helps.

What I can't wait to change is the color on are those horrid, and huge orange turn signals. I want clear led's like the Euro models get. Don't know why Yamaha can't put nice clear indicators on like all my other bikes have. Although on my Yamaha TMAX I had to get my clear indicators from Europe for like $110 (just for the front) ! I hate throwing money away like that. Pull your head out Yamaha..... if the other manufacturer's can, you can too. They must be trying to get rid of old stock, and pawning off the crappy stuff on the U.S.

·
Registered
188 Posts
dunno about shrouds over there....

but ... you want colour/s ?... how about Create Your Colour Kit - Mix 1000's of Colours

mate of mine bought a 'customised' CBR900 .... which looks a bit like a drunk angry decepticon now :rolleyes: .... but he loves it .... anyway he has used this stuff on the tank and front fork tubes .... you do have to be a little careful with it .. cos it can be peeled off later .. or recoated ... in a different colour! ..

i saw a whole car body done in it the other day because where i am recently its 'flavour of the month' to plastidip everything on wheels ImpliedFacepalm.jpg ... but apart from that you can get a good result with it .. that if you dont like the look IS easy enough to remove and try again with another colour or other product

·
Registered
188 Posts
stupid wireless modem hangup and double post... mutter mumble

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you read my previous post. What could be easier, or cheaper than trying the heat shrink tubing?
Yeah, have never seen heat shrink that large. Don't wanna paint them. Anodizing or getting the EU ones are the only feasible options. Probably wait till it's here and see what it looks like in person.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The FZ-09 is the perfect bike for me. I just can't bring myself to buy one due to the gold and blurple color scheme. Almost all bike come in black in Europe. This is crazy

·
Registered
336 Posts
The FZ-09 is the perfect bike for me. I just can't bring myself to buy one due to the gold and blurple color scheme. Almost all bike come in black in Europe. This is crazy
Search for the post about Racetech suspension, member here had them do his forks over and they are now anodized them black - looks really good.

Of course it is going to cost you and you need to disassemble them to do it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyone seen an aplication of the Zeta Carbon fork wraps on a street bike? I've seen them for dirt bikes and I think it would be a nice look especially with the Liquid Graphite. The gold plus the blurple wheels is a little over the top for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I'm going to swing by one of the vinyl wrap shops in my area and see what they can do. I like the idea of losing the gold without a permanent alteration plus a little bit of added protection.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to....the fork shrouds! If you are referring to the upper fork tube, I seriously doubt that will be optional in color. I've been riding for 42 years and I've never seen that as an option for a motorcycle unless there is a "R" version produced that most like will have Ohlins forks on it from the factory......and guess what.......Ohlins forks are......GOLD! The fork tubes are anodized aluminum and since I don't know much about that kind of stuff, maybe there is a possibility that you could take the forks off over the winter and disassemble them and have the tubes anodized to a different color. I would say that it would be pretty expensive.
Triple I don't want to hijack the thread, but you are as good as anybody I can think of to pose this question to regarding the possibility of Yamaha offering different colors for next years model? Also do you think they will release an R version, and lastly is Yamaha consistent of the time of year they release the new models here in the USA?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Anyone seen an aplication of the Zeta Carbon fork wraps on a street bike? I've seen them for dirt bikes and I think it would be a nice look especially with the Liquid Graphite. The gold plus the blurple wheels is a little over the top for me.
I have a sheet of carbon wrap that I purchased from Tankslappers. I just haven't gotten around to making the template yet. I always wrapped my dirtbike forks.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Didn't I read on here somewhere that someone had RaceTech Suspension Anodize the tubes black while they were servicing the forks? I would think that would be a cheaper option over buying the silver ones from Europe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Having RT anodize them is cheaper than ordering new but still pretty pricey, I wanna say about $300 usd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts