Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of picking one of these up..

had a new questions though:

- how hard is it to install? is it completely bolt on?
- how much of a mileage/MPG hit will I take?
- is it unbearably loud? I want it to a bit louder since the stock one is actually really quiet
- any weight savings compared to stock?
- I have < 1000 miles on my bike.. should I wait till I get a over 1k or does it not matter?

edit: also, I'm in California... are there any issues in terms of smog regulations?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1. Install is straight-forward...it is completely bolt on.
2. my MPG has roughly stayed the same...still hit my F-trip around 118 miles (~43-44mpg)
3. It is pretty loud under load with the dB killer out. I put the dB killer back in but I'm thinking about removing it again...
Playing around I grabbed our noise meter from work and 5ft away at idle -- dB killer in - 86dB; dB killer out - 92dB
4. I think you save around 8-9lbs (not 100% sure)
5. No smog for motos in Calif.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent..
one more if you don't mind:
do I need to re-map, install Power Commander or block off plates?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yes, ideally.

Vcyclenut has an $80 ECU flash that offers an Akra carbon map, along with a whole assortment of performance improvements like reduced engine braking, customizable throttle mapping etc... It also has an option to disable AIS, so you don't need to install block off plates... Do it

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
excellent..
one more if you don't mind:
do I need to re-map, install Power Commander or block off plates?
I think you'll want to remap. Currently, I'm running it w/out an ECU flash/remap, PC-V, or block off plates...and the decel pop is not that bad.

I'll send my ECU in probably next week for reflash/remap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts