Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone sorry I am sure this has been discussed before but I am new and still trying to figure out how to use everything on this site.

I really only have one question. I pick up my bike on Monday but am already knowing I need some type of exhaust on the bike..

If I were to buy the catted version of the akrapovic is a tune needed? I really don't even care about power gains I just can't stand how quiet he bike is.

Will it be safe to rune catted version without a tune? Or is there a better or different option to just get more sound from this bike where a tune is not needed.. I'm just not huge on buying a power commander for a brand new bike and he install looks way out of my league to be honest. Lol

Any help would be great thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Moving this thread to the performance section.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Honestly send your ecu to vcyclenut, if all you want is a new map it is really inexpensive and the turn around is super fast. Also if you decide to change exhausts in the future all you pay for is shipping the reflash is free. There are plenty of people running AK exhausts without flashes but there is a lot of popping and you don't receive the full gains from the new exhaust. Personally if I am going to spend that kind of money on an exhaust the extra little bit for an ECU flash is money well spent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses.. Honestly I don't even know where the ecu is to send haha I don't have the bike till tomorrow and I can't even imagine sending it away and not being able to ride I am just way to excited.. Also thank you for sending to proformance section as I was saying I'm new here I am sure I'll get the hang of it :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
$80 for the ECU flash... which will provide A LOT of improvements in rideability, throttle response and a better than stock fuel map. Poewer Commanders are very 1990's tech, and overly expensive considering how little they are capable of accomplishing.

Get the exhaust, get the flash... never look back (because that is where your buddies will be) FAR behind you.

The ECU is located on top of the air box, just under the fuel tank. David can get the ECU back to you within 5 days of you shipping it to him, if you live in the lower 48.

I understand the desire to have your cake and eat it... but Im the sort to not half ass things. That pipe really deserves a remap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not arguimg that it deservs it but more is it soing damage without the tune even with running baffle in and akrapovic cat.. everything i read is so mixed some say yes some say its running lean.. the lean part i dont get considering the popping.. thats basically unburnt fuel from my understanding so running lean just confuses me it would see the bike runs rich from factory

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The bike is lean from the factory... there is such a thing as lean popping, afterfire. A rich running bike typically WONT have this pop as the mixture in the exhaust is too rich to combust. Some tune the popping out using MORE fuel.

A couple tuners here have tuned the stock bike, stock exhaust, and said it was very lean from the factory. It may not do damage with no remap, but it wont run well. Nobody here is running the CAT, so it may be hard to get a comment on that specifically. Without the CAT, my bike ran like poo... the $700 I spent on the exhaust would have been a waste without a proper map. I like sound, but not in lieu of having a sweet running motor... and without the flash, it sorta sucked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks guys definately going to wait till im ready for tune and exhaust and just be happy to havr the bike! Ive never in my life been so excited for a monday to hurry up and get here. Bike looks amazing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts