Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those that have the carbon akra is it a lot louder with the db killer IN than the ti with the db killer IN???? I am down to these two for my decision but I don't want LOUDER than I can bear....Want a deeper note than stock but not so deep I have to wear ear pugs...

·
Registered
184 Posts
for those that have the carbon akra is it a lot louder with the db killer IN than the ti with the db killer IN???? I am down to these two for my decision but I don't want LOUDER than I can bear....Want a deeper note than stock but not so deep I have to wear ear pugs...
I have carbon Akra and I decided to install the db killer. I rode it a bit without the db killer and it was too loud to me. I don't know if it's louder than the Ti with its db killer installed. Check Youtube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was searching everywhere for this thread. So has anybody else heard both and have an opinion??? My friend had the titanium and it sounded beast. So I went online the same day to order one. I went with the carbon since it was ~$300 cheaper. I just hope it produces near or better the sound of my buddies titanium.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
If you do a bit of reading here you will see that the "performance" of the carbon unit is better than the Ti. I suppose that is due to the extra length of the mid-pipe.
Of course it will require an ECU reflash. And forgive me for saying this, but ear plugs should be a part of your ride-wear. When you get up in years, your ears will thank you.

Product Image

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you go to the website, they have sound clips for the TI and Carbon exhaust, so you can compare.

They also list the data on each system.

TI - POWER +4.0kW at 9900 rpm, WEIGHT -2.4kg, TORQUE +5.3Nm at 5000 rpm

Carbon - POWER +5.1kW at 9850 rpm, WEIGHT -3.8kg, TORQUE +6.4Nm at 5150 rpm

You can purchase a Catalytic Converter insert.

Akrapovi?

Reactions: slolane

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i have (well, had, its a bit busted) a carbon akra, always baffle out. and i have worn custom made earplugs for the last 6 years or so.
I've had louder, more antisocial bikes - a KTM 640 SM with an OEM R6 can grafted on that was antisocial at idle and wake the dead loud at anything above that, so the akra for the MT without the baffle doesnt seem too bad. It's quieter than the M4 slip on that i had on a 2005 speed triple, but loud enogh to stop people merging in to me when im next to them in ttraffic.
Not loud enough to stop em cutting in front of me, though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is interesting to me that with all the exhaust discussions about loud, quiet, more power, more torque, I think it all boils down really to what you think the exhaust looks like on your bike. When you check the dyno charts for the Akra Ti and Carbon pipes, where you really see the nominal difference in HP is over 9,500 RPM. We are talking WOT! How many of us are drag racing or trying to compete at the track with an $8,000 motorcycle? I replaced my wart ugly, heavy OEM pipe that sounded like a sewing machine farting, with a IMHO good looking Akra Ti, because it sounds better without being painfully noisy, and I love the looks. The only concession I will give the OEM is the nice shiny headers did look nice. I hated that aluminum pot bellied chunk that came on the bike. It was the very first thing I changed. I'm just saying if you like your stock pipe or if you build your own out of water pipe and wrap it with gym socks, good for you, it's your baby. Get out there and ride and be proud. Ain't America great? Half the world doesn't have enough to eat and we are trying to eek out a couple more HP out of an already fantastic little triple.
OK, I'm through ranting.
Peace

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 to quicksilver, the most important it's I will be looking at when I do toss the stock can. 1). how does it fit and look on the bike, I like the Akra Ti best so far for that, as it doesn't stuck out and look like an ugly afterthought. 2). How does it sound, and can it be ridden at lower rpm's through your neighborhood without causing a riot???

3). I'd prefer a slip-on exhaust, but again the Akra Ti is the only one that doesn't stick out to far and look out of place to me. I am sure there will be more choices as time goes on. I here Hindle is now making systems for the 09, not so sure on the look though, need to see more pictures, but so far none that I can find.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Automotive exhaust

Reactions: veebooster

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another issue surely has to be ground clearance.
Ive had both the Ti & Carbon.
The Carbon gives you more clearance and dosent catch on the floor like the Ti.
I personally prefer the Carbon for looks,sound, extra power, clearance.and price.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It's not the max HP of the carbon, the torque curve is entirely different, with the carbon whomping the TI at lower revs. The carbon is also a good bit lighter. And fortunately costs less.

I don't care entirely about looks, hell I ride an 09, which I think is the least sexy bike I've ever owned. If I'm going to spend $xxxx.xx I want to get the most performance for my $$$. That includes weight, HP, TQ, and not necessarily the max, but where and how it produces it. The curve.

These aren't really opinions, they are facts not in dispute. Everyone has a different opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
+1 to quicksilver, the most important it's I will be looking at when I do toss the stock can. 1). how does it fit and look on the bike, I like the Akra Ti best so far for that, as it doesn't stuck out and look like an ugly afterthought. 2). How does it sound, and can it be ridden at lower rpm's through your neighborhood without causing a riot???

3). I'd prefer a slip-on exhaust, but again the Akra Ti is the only one that doesn't stick out to far and look out of place to me. I am sure there will be more choices as time goes on. I here Hindle is now making systems for the 09, not so sure on the look though, need to see more pictures, but so far none that I can find.

View attachment 13212
I'll have one in a few weeks....standby.

:cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
TBH, I don't get the whole lack of ground clearance issue.

I have the akra Ti & have never been remotely concerned about bottoming out. I've launched over speed bumps, off gutters, ridden the shittiest roads week after week & still have an immaculate system.

It's not an issue as far as I'm concerned. It's also just my opinion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
78kgs, GP suspension 25mm cartridges & Penske 8983 raised 8mm.

Front full soft (everything)
Rear preload backed off 1 full turn, compression -8 clicks & rebound full soft.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OP, I cut by baffle back slightly to improve the sound of the note. The stock Ti note was a vast improvement over the stock system, but still too quiet. Riding with the DB killer removed was unbearable. A deep bass note that reverb'd around inside my lid & seriously hurt my ears. This was only on a 400km run. As soon as I pulled into my garage, I cut the insert back, just past the round plate & reinstalled. I'm thinking I may shorten it further a touch.

It's personal preference. You'll have to decide. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the akra carbon with the 'V-flash". My daughter has the akra TI with no flash. As I have access to both bikes, I've ridden both, and so has she... but not much due to the weather we been having (please keep this limited weather riding in mind). My daughter went with the TI because of how it looks on the bike and of course the better sound over the oem pipe, I decided to go with the carbon because of the slightly more increase in power and weight reduction over the TI (not to mention I need every bit of advantage I can get on my throttle happy child).
Our take on both pipes....
The carbon does have slight but yet still noticeable power gains over the TI, likely due to the flash, increase in power, and lighter weight. The TI does (in both our opinions look better on the bike, if that's important to you). We've actually had no issues with ground clearance on the TI. Also please note that in both our opinions the TI does in fact sound better than the carbon. The carbon just seems to get louder as the throttle is twisted, whereas the TI seems to also 'change tone' as power increases.
These are only our opinions... I like both exhaust and I/we don't think you'll be disappointed in either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts