Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

First time poster long time lurker. I'm a 30yr old male for some background (I'm sure some kids will disagree with my assessments). I have been looking into exhaust systems since I got my 15' 09 back in October and really have been waiting for Christmas to roll around. Well I made my mind up on the Akro Ti after reading countless reviews and listening to as many Youtube videos as I could. Well the gf surprise Christmas gifted me early as revzilla dropped of my new system yesterday. I was so excited. I had made up my mind to remove to baffle for a more straight pipe sound. I listened to all the videos and it sounded so much more aggressive than with the baffle in. It's a great idea right? WRONG! It was too much for me. All the videos sound great but take it from me if your on the fence. When that baffle is out my brains feel like they are rattling in my head I can't hear anything else going on (and that was with helmet and ear buds in!).

Quick side note. Removal of the baffle was quite easy. Remove the set screw (there is a very small bit of weld on the edge of the bolt that if using a socket wrench and proper allen socket will come right out with a 2 finger effort. After that prior to installing the muffler onto the bike you can see straight through the muffle to the back of the baffle. A dowel rod and a hammer; SLOW AND STEADY and that baffle comes right out.

From start to finish the whole install took me 1hr 15mins. Now I'm sure some are wondering why I removed the baffle in the first place if I wasn't sure and there are two answers to that question. 1) at the time I was sure and 2) I live in a high rise apartment downtown (wish I had a garage and am jealous of all those that do!). So queue smuggling operation to get bike into the elevator and into the apartment. Since I was so sure that I wanted the baffle out I figured I'd remove it prior to install to save myself time from what I though would happen (get bike back to the road, decide to remove the baffle after all, and get bike back to the "workshop" disassembly of everything again).

I'm sure some of the much more "experienced" guys out there will shake their heads at this next part. I took it for the ride. Couldn't hear myself, and in a fit of rage and frustration decided to reinstall the baffle with just a flashlight and tools curbside (oh I didn't mention this before its now 1045pm). A couple minor burns and cuts later the baffle was back in and the bike sounds great, but not before I had to move the baffle in and out to line up the set screw. In the process using my vice grips added a lovely crimp mark to one of the baffle tubes. Moral of the story take your time!!!

TL;DR Was impatient, didn't take time to properly disassemble muffler to reinstall baffle, permanently marked $1k beautiful exhaust baffle tube.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You still on stock fuel map?

Just curious cause I'm leaning towards Akro for my next big purchase (after suspension gets settled). Curious how it was w/o an aftermarket map right away.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
When I heard the Akra Ti in person w/out the baffle I thought it sounded nice. But it's different when you're on the bike and motoring around with the engine under a load.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you ride with the db killer out you will be saying huh/what /I cant understand you later on in the years......its insanely loud......to loud in my opinion....and as far as motorist hear it....cops can hear it to I don't want to draw unnecessary attention when I hit the throttle and give them the opportunity to hear me 100 miles away.....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There are 100 posts on this forum about how loud the AKRA TI is without the baffle. And another 100 about how it won't run right without the baffle installed, without a fuel controller. And despite that, folks are still removing the baffle to see what it sounds like. We need a name for this phenomenon. We can call it.... "The Akra TI baffle blues". Or maybe we call it..."How to f*@k up your brand new baffle". Or maybe.... "I just refuse to listen to any advice on an Internet forum".
I think I'm going to form an intervention and 12 step program for these poor folks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I went as far as to order a new baffle and experimented with removing a lil at a time to get the desired sound and still ended up re-installing the stock baffle.....mine was a BIOTCH to get out by the way wasn't as easy as people make it out and I am a industrial mechanic....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You still on stock fuel map?

Just curious cause I'm leaning towards Akro for my next big purchase (after suspension gets settled). Curious how it was w/o an aftermarket map right away.
I am still on the stock fuel map. Going to have vcyclenut flash after the first of the year. I've had very VERY minor popping on decel. Not enough that it would be any problem. As for performance just from my little commute to work it feels more responsive and acceleration feels quicker but I'm sure there is bias from having just installed it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What color is your '15? I've been dieing to see a Yellow '15 like mine with the ti system. I love carbon fiber but the titanium system looks mean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I heard the Akra Ti in person w/out the baffle I thought it sounded nice. But it's different when you're on the bike and motoring around with the engine under a load.
Agreed. When I heard it on the web and then standing by the bike at idle it was loud but I really enjoyed the deep tone. However under a load between sheer volume and resonance around 5k in my opinion it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have liked to been there during the smuggling operation!
I've had to do it so many times now for the mods that I'm getting pretty good at it. It's always fun when the elevator stops on another floor and I'm standing there with a motorcycle that just barely fits. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you ride with the db killer out you will be saying huh/what /I cant understand you later on in the years......its insanely loud......to loud in my opinion....and as far as motorist hear it....cops can hear it to I don't want to draw unnecessary attention when I hit the throttle and give them the opportunity to hear me 100 miles away.....
And that's why I decided to go back to baffle in. I was thinking to myself maybe if I was still 22 I'd leave it out but I don't know if I'd even do it then. At the same time I was finding that compared to my last bike (2007 gsxr 750 w/ aftermarket exhaust) I was having more cars merge into me on the road because I don't think they can hear me. So I definitely wanted something that made some more noise to be safer. Safer to me is another 10-15db not 50! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are 100 posts on this forum about how loud the AKRA TI is without the baffle. And another 100 about how it won't run right without the baffle installed, without a fuel controller. And despite that, folks are still removing the baffle to see what it sounds like. We need a name for this phenomenon. We can call it.... "The Akra TI baffle blues". Or maybe we call it..."How to **** up your brand new baffle". Or maybe.... "I just refuse to listen to any advice on an Internet forum".
I think I'm going to form an intervention and 12 step program for these poor folks.
Might be a good idea for recovering idiots like myself.... Err maybe not idiots but rather people who choose to learn the hard way all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went as far as to order a new baffle and experimented with removing a lil at a time to get the desired sound and still ended up re-installing the stock baffle.....mine was a BIOTCH to get out by the way wasn't as easy as people make it out and I am a industrial mechanic....
Well there you have it... I guess I just got lucky.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What color is your '15? I've been dieing to see a Yellow '15 like mine with the ti system. I love carbon fiber but the titanium system looks mean.
I got the matte grey with black wheels. Sorry no Yellow here. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are 100 posts on this forum about how loud the AKRA TI is without the baffle. And another 100 about how it won't run right without the baffle installed, without a fuel controller. And despite that, folks are still removing the baffle to see what it sounds like. We need a name for this phenomenon. We can call it.... "The Akra TI baffle blues". Or maybe we call it..."How to **** up your brand new baffle". Or maybe.... "I just refuse to listen to any advice on an Internet forum".
Taking advice from people on the internet isn't always a good thing! One guy mentioned taking the oil and coolant out for a "proper" break in. I think someone actually did it too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had to do it so many times now for the mods that I'm getting pretty good at it. It's always fun when the elevator stops on another floor and I'm standing there with a motorcycle that just barely fits. :D
I'm "about" your age and still enjoy shenanigans to this day. I love seeing the look on people's faces when you don't completely conform to being a boring sheep! As long as I don't harm others, I'm always doing something silly.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
LMAOOO :D

When I'm out on the road I Want all the "unnecessary attention" I can get -- I Want them all to see me or at least Hear me -- I've only got one life to live and if having Cagers Hear me coming & going saves my ass once I'm thrilled......Besides, I LOVE how she sounds w/o the db killer.

Reminds me of Led Zeppelin at The Garden in NYC 1975 --- Sweeeet & Loud :D

Reactions: JohnnyC4
1 - 20 of 57 Posts