Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with the ti akra and the db killer removed i would like to purchase it if not needed would buy new but looks like its gonna be a hassle right now so if you want to sell yours pm me...once again just looking for the db killer insert, in as new condition...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no but i am wanting to chop it off some to see if it makes it louder and want a replacement if it dont turn out like i want....took mine out and its too loud ive read where people have modified theirs to get a deeper note.....they sell them overseas but not here yet motomummy cant even find the part number listed even after i give it to them...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I chopped mine because I liked how it looked but wanted it loud. It was still too quiet imo so now it just sits in a droor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did this mod after a run without the baffle installed.

As soon as I returned home, I chopped it so that the 3 pipes do not reach the holes in the pipe they slot into.

Simple clean up with a dremel & slipped it in to check the noise level, & bolted it back in. Quick spin up the road to test it & that's how it has stayed.

It's a good balance between having the baffle "stock" & having no baffle at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KOOL Thanks!!!! so it does make it louder??? but not as loud as baffle out correct??? very good idea!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
KOOL Thanks!!!! so it does make it louder??? but not as loud as baffle out correct??? very good idea!!!
Exactly.

A mate has the same pipe without his baffle installed. I will be trying shortened pipe lengths on the rear of the baffle & still have his as a back up should I cut it too short & it becomes too loud.

There's nothing to say at this point that it will gain any extra volume from shortening the pipes, but good to have a back up, on the off chance I don't like the note after further modification.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find for everyday use the short baffle is a good compromise, if you are out for a blahs then take the whole thing out, sounds great. For me too quiet with both bits (normal length) but for track days and when it goes for service ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I contacted akrapovic to see why its not showing available here in the states really want a spare before I start hacking on mine...guess everyone wants to hang onto theirs...

·
Registered
601 Posts
no but i am wanting to chop it off some to see if it makes it louder and want a replacement if it dont turn out like i want....took mine out and its too loud ive read where people have modified theirs to get a deeper note.....they sell them overseas but not here yet motomummy cant even find the part number listed even after i give it to them...
This is the Akrapovic part number that I see in case you have something different.

V-TUV142 Muffler Insert SS

·
Registered
601 Posts
To each his own. But I have to say that after my experience 1) hearing the ear-splitting sound without the insert and 2) seeing the jury-rigged, banged up mufflers that result, I think that doing anything with the baffle is just a bad idea.

Getting a replacement insert to have fun with is a good idea to help prevent #2.

The Akrapovic Carbon doesn't fit the bike like the stock muffler. But people wanting a deeper tone might want to consider that one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
To each his own. But I have to say that after my experience 1) hearing the ear-splitting sound without the insert and 2) seeing the jury-rigged, banged up mufflers that result, I think that doing anything with the baffle is just a bad idea.

Getting a replacement insert to have fun with is a good idea to help prevent #2.

The Akrapovic Carbon doesn't fit the bike like the stock muffler. But people wanting a deeper tone might want to consider that one.
IMG_0196.jpg

My jury-rigged baffle.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good job! But I've seen some that are really ugly on the inside.

Looks good on the silver bike, too!

I warn people away from it just as a public service, as I've seen a few people give it a try and regret it.

I actually had the bolt break off in the muffler insert upon removal. Tons of fun ensued with the rethreading.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the silver does look really good!!!! yeah i have the correct part number so not sure why its not showing up.....figured with everyone pulling them out surely someone would want to sell it guess not...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ended up ordering a new one and it was a p.i.t.a.....shout out to indysuperbikes for assisting with the order THANKS!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts