Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09 SP/ 2001 Yamaha TTR600 Belgarda
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering.... I want to change my akrapovic racing line exhaust system. The design of it does not fit in my opinion in the 09... My question is, which grade is the exhaust made of? I know that it's stainless steel, but idk which class Thanks guys

Enviado do meu SM-G975F através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Generally, exhaust components are either 304 or 409. 409 is magnetic while 304 is not, so that's an easy test. But I can't say for sure if Akrapovic uses those same alloys. Maybe there's a materials list on their website?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've been wondering.... I want to change my akrapovic racing line exhaust system. The design of it does not fit in my opinion in the 09... My question is, which grade is the exhaust made of? I know that it's stainless steel, but idk which class Thanks guys

It is 304

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally, exhaust components are either 304 or 409. 409 is magnetic while 304 is not, so that's an easy test. But I can't say for sure if Akrapovic uses those same alloys. Maybe there's a materials list on their website?
If there is, I couldn't find it :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as I know, Akrapovic uses for their pipes (car exhausts) AISI 321 (1.4541).
I suspect they use the same material for bike exhausts.

But that's only what I have read in another community.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's highly likely to be 304. I forget why 304 and 409 are the common alloys used for exhaust ( I think they bend without cracking/ vibration tolerance? I don't really know), but 409 isn't particularly rust resistant. 304 is very rust resistant, impervious to many chemicals ( most kitchen ware is 304 to resist food acids/ cleaning acids) so for cosmetics alone I would assume Akrapovic would use 304. If you test it with a magnet you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as I know, Akrapovic uses for their pipes (car exhausts) AISI 321 (1.4541).
I suspect they use the same material for bike exhausts.

But that's only what I have read in another community.
I paid about 750$ for the system. It's well built and all of that, but it doesn't stay shiny for long time. Need to remove it already to clean it up. I want to put the catbsck a little higher. Too straight for me

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's highly likely to be 304. I forget why 304 and 409 are the common alloys used for exhaust ( I think they bend without cracking/ vibration tolerance? I don't really know), but 409 isn't particularly rust resistant. 304 is very rust resistant, impervious to many chemicals ( most kitchen ware is 304 to resist food acids/ cleaning acids) so for cosmetics alone I would assume Akrapovic would use 304. If you test it with a magnet you'll know for sure.
Thank you bro

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've emailed Akrapovic before with a query about something and they've got back to me the same day! Drop them a line and I bet you'll get an answer on Tuesday after the holidays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've emailed Akrapovic before with a query about something and they've got back to me the same day! Drop them a line and I bet you'll get an answer on Tuesday after the holidays.
Cool!! I've noticed that my exhaust, the carbon wrap in can is getting loose . That's not good for a good exhaust system

·
Registered
371 Posts
Carbon cans often fails on thumpers and twins. Can't handle the big exhaust pulses. Wouldn't have thought that would be an issue on these bikes. Especially if it's just an end cap. That stinks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carbon cans often fails on thumpers and twins. Can't handle the big exhaust pulses. Wouldn't have thought that would be an issue on these bikes. Especially if it's just an end cap. That stinks!
It does. Already put it to warranty...sorry for the late reply.
Take a look

1 - 15 of 15 Posts