Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would cross-post from Reddit, here's how I removed my dB killer from the exhaust.

For a long time, I was very interested in buying the Akrapovic high mount exhaust for my XSR900. The look is a bit polarizing, but I think it's gorgeous and wasn't interested in mounting a "sportbike" looking exhaust on a retro-styled machine like this. After reading just about every post on Reddit and FZ09 forums, and watching all of the few YouTube videos on it, I decided to order one.

One of the few issues that many previous owners had mentioned was the disappointing volume. To mitigate this, nearly everyone had attempted to remove the dB killer, but no one had succeeded. I decided to email Akrapovic and take my own crack at it. I sent them several questions regarding the exhaust components and removal of the dB killer and premuffler. Regarding replacement of the premuffler with a straight pipe, they responded with "All of the system options are full systems. The pre muffler box is also for needed back pressure for performance on this system. There are no additional options. Below is a link to the installation manual." When I inquired about removing the dB killer, they responded with "Do you have the CAT installed or removed? The noise insert is designed to be tamper proof to meet homologation requirements. Due to these requirements, we are unable to provide removal advise."

So now I understood why no one had been able to remove the dB killer, despite it being such an easy job on many other Akrapovic exhausts. It was designed to not be removable. With this knowledge, I formed a plan to remove it that differed from the traditional route of drilling the spot weld and pulling with a set of vice grips. The first step I took was to drill out the rivets on the can holding the end cap in place. Next, I used a rubber mallet to tap the end of the can until the end cap had wiggled out enough to be twisted free. Once this was out, I was able to visualize the dB killer and cut it flush to the end of the muffler. After this, I reinserted the end cap and secured it with 3/8" stainless steel rivets.

Progress pics:
Although this isn't as complete a removal as I sought out for, I'm very happy with the results. I believe that any attempt to completely remove the dB killer entirely with result is damage to the exhaust cosmetically. In the future, I may still attempt to remove the premuffler box and replace it with a straight pipe and a tune to compensate for the back pressure, but for now I am very happy with the performance and sound gains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you share more video clips just for the sound of the after work? I can't hear anything from the current clip.
Thinking of doing that on mine as well and I notice that route, I live in NY as well and have the same color bike like yours.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts