Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys!!! I have an 2015 FZ-09 with stock exhaust. I would like to upgrade the exhaust to Yoshimura YAMAHA FZ-09/XSR 900 2014-17 Race R-77 FS SS-CF-CF Works Finish or Akrapovic Yamaha MT-09/FZ-09 2015

Racing Line (Titanium) S-Y9R8-HEGEHT.

What are you guys thoughts and what do you like better, why?

Thanks
Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 5.39.36 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 5.39.06 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 5.39.00 PM.jpg

·
Registered
839 Posts
I like the looks of the Akro can better but the Yoshi pipes better especially how they hug the bike instead of stick down. I liked the sound of the Yoshi better, it has more bite. I went with the Yoshi. The Akro also has the advantage of not needing new packing every 10k. Performance is the same. I will say the WORKS finish is awesome, my pipes after a couple thousand miles are a satin light gold and look great. Zero cleaning needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this helps a lot. I am getting more people go with Yoshi cuz of the sound, but like you said the bad is the repacking every 10k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I´m running the Akra. Great exhaust, fit and finish perfect. As far as sound? with db killer on sounds almost the same as the stock one till 5k. Without db killer, deep, LOUD, beautiful sound. Not recommended for long trips. Keep in mind that the new akrapovics are Euro 4 compliant, and to remove the db killer you need a little of work and a drill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I´m running the Akra. Great exhaust, fit and finish perfect. As far as sound? with db killer on sounds almost the same as the stock one till 5k. Without db killer, deep, LOUD, beautiful sound. Not recommended for long trips. Keep in mind that the new akrapovics are Euro 4 compliant, and to remove the db killer you need a little of work and a drill.
Thanks that helps a lot. The Akra is more expensive too. Ill be keeping the db killer on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't speak with any experience on the yoshi setup, but I can tell you the fit of the Akrapovic was damn near spot on. Everything went together as it should, no forcing, tweaking, or cursing necessary. Looks beautiful too. In all honesty though, go with whatever one looks prettier or makes your wallet happy. They are close enough that looks/cost/sound are probably the biggest factors at play. The Akra with the DB killer has a very nice sound but is capable of being mellow when you need to be. Without the DB killer it's a deep full throat sound that I just can't get enough of.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Both are top notch so it's a toss up. I'd seriously go with whichever one I could get the better deal on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It’s $35 big deal
Not expensive but just inconvenient to remove it, send it, put it back and all that. Also it means that you can't ride while you're waiting for it to get repacked.

As for me I have the Akra Carbon. I like the look of both the Akra and Yoshi a lot. No preference for one another. They both sound amazing. To me it came down to how much I had to spend. I got the Akra for almost $200 less than the Yoshi that's why I went with it. If it was the opposite i would have got the yoshi

·
Registered
149 Posts
TwoWheel is Yoshimura paying you? i also agree that the need to repack or not could be a selling point. I know I'm capable but I don't exactly want to buy a rivet gun for my exhaust maintenance. I agree, an easy job but i'de rather not. And this is coming from someone that has done various engine rebuilds, and had several machines down to the frame to be built back up proper. After all we are talking about two high quality add on options that come down to looks and price as probably the most influential factors for most buyers. I'm happy with either option

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
LOL no, but I wish they were :) I'm just fair. I really can't understand the hesitation about...a pop rivet gun though. If you can use a stapler, you can use a pop rivet gun. I wonder if some just don't know what it is LOL
Im with ya brother

·
Registered
186 Posts
Huh? All it takes is a $10 pop rivet gun and 20 minutes at home man.
yes I didn't say it takes the whole day. But for people like me that already have little free time to ride because of work, family, etc... having to remove an exhaust to get it repacked is somehow inconvenient (not the end of the world but I'd rather not have to do it). I do work on my bike for the most part and I have done worse things than repacking. It's just that to my eyes repacking is a (small) inconvenience.

By the way I do watch your videos on youtube and I am subbed to you. I understand that you have a lot more time than me and it's a good thing because you do a great job at explaining/showing things and helping the community :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts