Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, the European version of the FZ is called the MT and the European site already has an Akrapovic full system showed in their list of accessories for the MT. So, with this in mind, I went to the Akrapovic web site and started looking for an exhaust from Akropovic, that is label....FZ 09.

Ta Da............So here is a link to the page, which basically says that it will be coming soon. Then the question will be, will the Akra pipe be cheaper from a Yamaha dealer or through one of Akra's selling dealers?

Yamaha FZ-09 - Akrapovi?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It be nice to see what two brothers are going to come out with, always liked how they sound

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been a fan of the two bros exhaust. I had a set of them on a '99 BlackBird that I bought and ended up taking them off and putting a set of MIG's on it. MIG is no longer in business, but I got hundreds of compliments on the way they looked and sounded. Hopefully, we'll have at least several choices on exhaust systems. The one that I'm hoping for, in addition to the Akra, is if Graves comes out with an exhaust for it. Quality product, sounds and looks good, and they work hard to make them get the most HP out of the engine that is possible without porting/polishing/etc.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If Graves brings out a carbon can like the shorty for the FZ8, I am all in. Not going to buy the stainless Akrapovic until I see what Graves has to offer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep the more choices the better and cheaper they'll be!

·
Registered
10 Posts
the akra is listed on motorsport.com now for over 1200 for the whole Ti setup.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^^^^ Plus 1 I want something that is going to open up the flow of exhaust; to the point that additional fueling is required.

·
Registered
75 Posts
will this exhaust be stubby like the stock exhaust. i like the fact that its tucked back like that. but Id be info something that increases performance.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is street legal, that means that it might be a little bit louder than stock, but will have to abide by current laws regarding sound emissions levels. That type of exhaust will be more restricted than one that is for off road use only or Not for street use.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If it is street legal, that means that it might be a little bit louder than stock, but will have to abide by current laws regarding sound emissions levels. That type of exhaust will be more restricted than one that is for off road use only or Not for street use.
How do people get away with such loud pipes on their Harley's?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do people get away with such loud pipes on their Harley's?
If I'm not mistaken (and I may be) it has been against the law for years (Federal), to put aftermarket exhaust on you bike unless it meets the same standards as the original bike's exhaust on noise levels. The law has pretty much been ignored since it's inception. Every once in a while you will see where a city or municipality will enforce the existing law. I can't tell you the number of "Blue Knights" riders that I've seen with very loud pipes on their personal bikes. The "answer" to me is to use some common sense when riding. By that, I mean that if you have installed an "off road" or "race only" exhaust on your bike (I've had one on every street bike that I've owned), keep the RPMs down when riding in town or anywhere that might attract attention from the wrong people. I suspect that as time goes on, there will be more and more attention (depending on where you live) paid to the louder aftermarket exhausts. So, some common sense and "throttle control" will go a long way to help preserve your license and or wallet. It won't happen overnight, but it is like many of the things that we once enjoyed freely.......it's either gotten or getting regulated by the government.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know for a fact the the diesel truck market has recently taken a huge set-back with the EPA pretty much killing the "chip" and tuner sales. that's the products that add HP but make the diesel trucks blow black smoke like a coal fired power generation plant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone seen any numbers on the weight savings the new Akra system is supposed to give us over the stock exhaust? I haven't seen a discussion of that in any of the write ups yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just guessing, I'd say in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 lbs less than stock, which would put the FZ's ready to ride weight right at 400 lbs. SWEET!

·
Registered
23 Posts
the akra is listed on motorsport.com now for over 1200 for the whole Ti setup.
Guys... I went to that site... seems to be a racing news website, not a place to purchase anything. What am I missing?

I'd love to see the whole setup for sale (price, specs, etc.) Can anyone help clarify? Thx!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Guys... I went to that site... seems to be a racing news website, not a place to purchase anything. What am I missing?

I'd love to see the whole setup for sale (price, specs, etc.) Can anyone help clarify? Thx!
It is a mail order site but the pipe listed is not available for purchase. THey just added the bike to their website prior to launch to sell some off the shelf stuff. Try this link:

Motorcycle Parts, Accessories & Gear | MotoSport

1 - 20 of 21 Posts