Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a new Yamaha MT-09 with an Akrapovic system designed for the MT-09. It's the one with the MT-09 logo on it. Is this system different from the system on the Akrapovic site? It seems like the shapes of the mufflers are different. But whats more important: are they both producing the same extra horsepower and torque? And do they both have an removable dB-killer? I hope they do, otherwise i have to cancel the system and buy the other one.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Graves has a system that gives you more HP, more Torque, more sound and less weight then the Akrapovic. Best of all, its available now, its been designed for the FZ-09, tested and guaranteed to fit. It also has a removable DB killer.

Just sayin..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just ordered the Graves, today.

Have been told the Akra has been pushed back till February.

Akra may end up on bike # 2.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just ordered the Graves, today.

Have been told the Akra has been pushed back till February.

Akra may end up on bike # 2.
Sweet!! Welcome to the club!

Curious about you think about it when you get it all setup. Did you get the block off plates & Power Commander?

I like Akra's products, but I think its a shame that they've had an actual FZ-09 to test and develop with and in the end come out with a steel system with a titanium sleeve. Not to mention they've had more time than anyone else to produce inventory and still can't deliver to their biggest market (Southern California in the Winter time.)

Enjoy the new exhaust, its a real game changer for the FZ-09. Cheers!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Graves has a system that gives you more HP, more Torque, more sound and less weight then the Akrapovic. Best of all, its available now, its been designed for the FZ-09, tested and guaranteed to fit. It also has a removable DB killer.

Just sayin..
Even if it was a year wait for the Akrapovic system I would wait mainly because their quality is second to none! One or 2 extra HP doesn't mean ANYTHING because it's "claimed" gains. Real world is what I'm after, not the manufacturers land of make believe claims to boost sales. Plus the Graves system is $1200+ and the Akra is under $1000. I have their full race system on my R1 and will never stray from Akrapovic no matter what anyone else claims to make.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Even if it was a year wait for the Akrapovic system I would wait mainly because their quality is second to none! One or 2 extra HP doesn't mean ANYTHING because it's "claimed" gains. Real world is what I'm after, not the manufacturers land of make believe claims to boost sales. Plus the Graves system is $1200+ and the Akra is under $1000. I have their full race system on my R1 and will never stray from Akrapovic no matter what anyone else claims to make.
So what your saying is Akrapovic is the only exhaust manufacture telling the truth?

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Funny... mine is $700 and the dyno sheet are within about the same... and better than Akra. Ah, 5 lbs lighter too. 2K miles on it and all tuned too.

I got mune dyno at A1 Cycle in West Palm Beach. You can call Milke anytime... no BS numbers there. My whole point of doing this is for hobby and give a cheaper option to people. So if It doesn't make any difference to me if I sell 100s, 12 or none. I got mine and im sure some people with parade with my exhaust and be just as happy as I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Reactions: FazerKat

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Akra for the FZ-09 is $1115 at Revzilla.com and after tax and shipping not likely to find it under a grand retail...

Akrapovic Exhaust System Yamaha FZ-09 2014 - RevZilla
The MSRP according to Akrapovic is $1039 US. You have to pay shipping no matter where you buy it from so that's not part of the equation. My point is it's NOT about numbers, it's about quality and engineering. I have personal experience with Akrapovic as do most of my riding friends. The price is worth the quality because it's barely more money than other systems. You all know the FZ uses a very low mount exhaust and it's subject to major wear and tear due to its location on the bike. Carbon cans just won't survive there for long if you ride it a lot. It'is most likely why Akra doesn't offer a carbon can version for our bikes OR the MT-09. I look at the under belly and bottom part of the swing arm on my R1 and amazed how many scratches and chips there are. If you're a weekend warrior cruising around town going for looks and bragging about HP numbers than it'll do just fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Funny... mine is $700 and the dyno sheet are within about the same... and better than Akra. Ah, 5 lbs lighter too.
So you're saying your full exhaust weighs 8 LBS total? Akrapovic's full system weighs 13.2 LBS.

And BTW, the Akrapovic gains are with the silencer installed. Check their site, 94dbs stock and 94dbs with theirs. Since the full system can be used with the silencer and no fuel controler, but a tuner is needed with it removed you can expect higher gains after it's taken out.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The MSRP according to Akrapovic is $1039 US. You have to pay shipping no matter where you buy it from so that's not part of the equation. My point is it's NOT about numbers, it's about quality and engineering. I have personal experience with Akrapovic as do most of my riding friends. The price is worth the quality because it's barely more money than other systems. You all know the FZ uses a very low mount exhaust and it's subject to major wear and tear due to its location on the bike. Carbon cans just won't survive there for long if you ride it a lot. It'is most likely why Akra doesn't offer a carbon can version for our bikes OR the MT-09. I look at the under belly and bottom part of the swing arm on my R1 and amazed how many scratches and chips there are. If you're a weekend warrior cruising around town going for looks and bragging about HP numbers than it'll do just fine.
Your right, it is about quality and engineering, but with the right tools anyone can build a good quality exhaust system.

The real challenge is making the rest of the bike work with the new exhaust. The Akra, IMO, is designed to work with the Stock engine setup of the FZ not asking the engine to do anything more than what Yamaha set it up to do. Engineers who know Yamaha intimately know that a simple exhaust is not the answer.

My bias and honest opinion:

Take a look at Graves for example, they have decades of professional racing experience with Yamaha and trophies to prove it. For the FZ09, Graves developed a full exhaust, Smog plates and fuel maps in less time then Akrapovic. No one can say its a hack job, I've seen hack jobs already, headers to can is designed for the FZ09. Graves know what works and what doesn't, they know there is no need to re-invent the wheel. Not only that, they have quality bar ends, sliders, and a fender eliminator that works. All this in less time than Akrapovic.

There is many more parts in the pipeline I cannot comment on, but the point here is one company in the U.S. is doing all this while Akra still has yet to ship their single product to our shores. Best thing is, if you run into any trouble with Graves, you can call them and they will be happy to assist you. With Akra you have to call Slovenia.. different time zone and more expensive.

Also, Graves offers a professional race bike program, something Akra or any other exhaust builder is not doing. There is no arguing about their engineering and quality

Graves Motorsports Yamaha R6 Daytona Sportbike 2014

And I don't think Akra decided against Carbon for reasons you stated. Because if that was true then they would have designed this better. Whats funny is that they designed it so that the carbon pieces protect the metal behind id. So I'm not worried about the carbon getting damaged.

I'm not saying Akra is garbage, I strongly feel when it comes to the FZ-09 they dropped the ball. But you cannot be perfect with every bike and car the way Akra tries to be.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So you're saying your full exhaust weighs 8 LBS total? Akrapovic's full system weighs 13.2 LBS.

And BTW, the Akrapovic gains are with the silencer installed. Check their site, 94dbs stock and 94dbs with theirs. Since the full system can be used with the silencer and no fuel controler, but a tuner is needed with it removed you can expect higher gains after it's taken out.
To my knowledge, they haven't release any tuner / fuel maps for the FZ-09. Graves & Marthy have.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I hate to sound like I'm attacking threesvts or Akra.. I just strongly feel that exhaust companies that try and make exhaust for everything on the market will begin to make exhaust that don't work in favor of building their buyer base. If they focused their engineering on one thing they could do really great things with it. Akra IMO has tried to do exhaust for everything and compromised the quality its known for.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't think you're attacking me in any way shape or form. I just know all too well the different exhaust makers out there. I've had 4 different systems on my R1. The Akrapovic is the last one I will install on it. The welds are works of art! The sound is like no other that has been on it. I've seen too many hack job exhaust systems around recently. But what looks eh and preforms OK today probably won't last 5 or 6 years on the bike under real world conditions.

The exhaust is available for the MT-09 in Europe, so it's been out for a while. Just no dealers in the U.S have it yet. My supplier told me today that it's looking like late January before he will get mine. I talked to Power Commander today and the maps are being fine tuned right now. The PC5 should also be available about the same time the exhaust is. I for one do not like simple programmers that are locked to one tune until you change it. I like the PC5 with auto tune for this reason. You are NEVER riding in the EXACT conditions when you set a bike up on the dyno. Temps, altitude, humidity are ever changing, your fuel controller needs to do the same to gain optimum performance.

And BTW, the Carbon piece of the Akrapovic system you attached is replaceable because of wear and tear in that area...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So no Akra in US except for Power Commander folks?

I've tested PC5 already for Graves, it was dyno'd and dialed by Graves. Waiting to test the auto-tune, however I doubt anyone will notice it working unless your doing some serious elevation changes.

On the Graves, the exhaust has a port for both the O2 Sensor and Auto-tune. On the Akra, do you replace the Stock O2 with Auto-Tune?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey I like the Akrapovic, 1115 or 1039, its nice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
got to wait for Power Commander V to update, figure out if rev limit of 132 mph can be turned off or increased, modify air box, add K&N, make sure o2 sensor is good run it on a dyno all great. but man, it adds up :)
lol, I love good weather!

·
Registered
418 Posts
So no Akra in US except for Power Commander folks?

On the Akra, do you replace the Stock O2 with Auto-Tune?
With any Auto Tune I see no reason to have both the OEM sensor and an auto tune sensor plugged in. One would fight the other would it not? With PC5 Auto Tune you only have the Auto Tune sensor in the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts