Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nels @ 2 Wheel Dyno Works just finished up the Akrapovic Carbon system yesterday, and suffice it to say, the results are outstanding!

As of today, this is the exhaust system to have. For comparison's sake, it makes about the same power as the Arrow (both baffle out). Sounds pretty pedestrian, right? Well, putting the baffle back in only takes away 1 hp. That's right, comparable volume to the Arrow with baffle, but power like the Arrow with the baffle removed. As of today, it's possible to have your cake and eat it, too. Who knows...there might be an Arrow Carbon exhaust up for sale soon :cool:

You can compare the other dyno curves here: 14+ FZ-09 ECU Reflash | StoltecMoto

Will provide an overlay as soon as possible...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Thanks for posting that Nick. I'm going to be one of those that definitely keep the Arrow though, as I run without the D.B. killer and like it a lot.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Vern, I have never taken my DBKiller out for fear that I would piss the entire west side of Nashville off. Everyone comments how they love the throaty sound of my bike. Like you, I wear hearing protection and don't realize how load my bike is. My wife always told me that she could hear the Erion on my CBR miles from the house.

What I am getting at is how much more noticeable is it uncapped?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This is great news! I just installed my Akra Carbon yesterday and need to get the ECU flashed!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Vern, I have never taken my DBKiller out for fear that I would piss the entire west side of Nashville off. Everyone comments how they love the throaty sound of my bike. Like you, I wear hearing protection and don't realize how load my bike is. My wife always told me that she could hear the Erion on my CBR miles from the house.

Doug, one of my riding buddies has an ST1300 and he an I go riding quite a lot. He absolutely loves the FZ09 and I let him ride it once in a while. While following him riding my bike with the uncapped Arrow, it really isn't that loud if you don't purposely try to make it scream. If he is riding it in front of me (I'm wearing ear plugs of course) and I'm say 40 to 60 ft. behind him going through the twisty stuff, I can barely hear it when he gets back on the throttle coming out of a corner. You can definitely make it very loud by 8K and up RPMs, but as you know, the FZ pulls very hard even from the lower revs.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Damn, now I am going to have to find out. Looks like I will have to up the percentages of my Auto Tune. I love being a mad scientist.

Now where in the hell did I set my punch?

·
Registered
314 Posts

I have videos comparing the stock exhaust to the carbon akro without the DBK. It isn't ear bleeding loud, and the only thing I have heard about it is how great it sounds, nothing about being "too loud"

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As we say in the south, look what you went and made me do.
View attachment 9414 View attachment 9415
I'll say this, Doug...the wail that this thing emitted while WOT at 120 mph on the back straight at Pocono - reverberating off the walls - is unbelievable. If I didn't think I'd get arrested (or lynched) riding around my locale, I'd leave it out. It sounds amazing.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
After seeing the DBKiller, I may take a saws-all and a drill press to it to find a happy medium if it turns out to be too loud when I am hard on the throttle.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After seeing the DBKiller, I may take a saws-all and a drill press to it to find a happy medium if it turns out to be too loud when I am hard on the throttle.
The Akrapovic Carbon baffle is nearly identical to the Arrow baffle with one key difference: the rounded tip on the end is cut off. Just a straight pipe with holes in it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does Stoltec do the re flash for the akrapovic carbon?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Stoltec doesn't do any reflashes any longer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes... All Stoltec maps are with 2 Wheel Dyno Works and are available direct. The only thing changed is where the ecu is being sent.

It doesn't have add to cart @ stoltec website for the flash service?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The Akrapovic Carbon baffle is nearly identical to the Arrow baffle with one key difference: the rounded tip on the end is cut off. Just a straight pipe with holes in it.
I just dropped my DBKiller off with the machine shop. I am adding three more rows of holes and two holes further up. Seems like a happy medium to me.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just dropped my DBKiller off with the machine shop. I am adding three more rows of holes and two holes further up. Seems like a happy medium to me.
I spoke to Arrow a few months ago about ways to increase flow without adding too much noise. Their suggestion was to drill a 12 mm hole in that rounded end cap. Nels and I were going to try this out, but we've never had anyone out his way with the Arrow who wanted to play.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts