Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stand the temptation to hear the Akro on my FZ-07 without the baffle...so I took it out and took a ride. Be advised I bought the Akrapovic with the cat converter and with the baffle...so I left the cat in and just removed the baffle to see what the affects are. Holy crap ...without the baffle it is a lot louder than you would think...and the bike ran like shit. Yep it sounded badass and the cops could hear you coming from two blocks away...but it ran like it lost 15 horsepower. I'm not kidding. It's official....Akrapovic was right. With the cat and the baffle...the bike runs blazing fast and has no issues with fueling whatsoever. Without the baffle it was WAY slower and backfired and popped like crazy on overrun and downshifts. Akrapovic must have spent a lot of dyno time making the bike run faster...gaining 4hp and a few pounds of torque with the STOCK ECU mapping. I have no idea how...but right out of the box the Akra is perfect on a FZ-07.

Sooner or later someone with offer a fuel controller and make the bike run correctly with the baffle removed....but right now,...your neighbors will have you arrested within the first 2 days.

Removing the baffle requires a vice grip to clamp on the baffle and another vice grip attached to the first vice grip to hammer out like a slide hammer. Obviously this leaves marks on the baffle. To put the baffle back in...a line needs scribed on the inside of the can so when the baffle is inserted...the bolt hole lines up. Then you need to tap it in another quarter inch, with a long 3/8ths extention and a hammer. All the while using a small mirror behind the can to see when the hole lines up. It isn't easy and it leaves marks....and it isn't worth the two hours spent screwing with it.

So now the baffle is back in...and it runs perfect again. No fuelling issues at all. Ran the bike up in the hills last Sunday at 4200 feet above sea level and it ran a hair rich....but still hauled ass big time.

Hope I saved you some aggrevation by sharing ... :eagerness:

·
Registered
184 Posts
When I first installed my Akrapovic on my FZ-09, I rode it for a 15 miles without the baffle. I reinstalled the baffle because it was too loud. I didn't ride it after installing the baffle but I will next week. Also, my ECU will be reflashed at FlashTune on Monday.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I couldn't stand the temptation to hear the Akro on my FZ-07 without the baffle...so I took it out and took a ride. Be advised I bought the Akrapovic with the cat converter and with the baffle...so I left the cat in and just removed the baffle to see what the affects are. Holy crap ...without the baffle it is a lot louder than you would think...and the bike ran like shit. Yep it sounded badass and the cops could hear you coming from two blocks away...but it ran like it lost 15 horsepower. I'm not kidding. It's official....Akrapovic was right. With the cat and the baffle...the bike runs blazing fast and has no issues with fueling whatsoever. Without the baffle it was WAY slower and backfired and popped like crazy on overrun and downshifts. Akrapovic must have spent a lot of dyno time making the bike run faster...gaining 4hp and a few pounds of torque with the STOCK ECU mapping. I have no idea how...but right out of the box the Akra is perfect on a FZ-07.

Sooner or later someone with offer a fuel controller and make the bike run correctly with the baffle removed....but right now,...your neighbors will have you arrested within the first 2 days.

Removing the baffle requires a vice grip to clamp on the baffle and another vice grip attached to the first vice grip to hammer out like a slide hammer. Obviously this leaves marks on the baffle. To put the baffle back in...a line needs scribed on the inside of the can so when the baffle is inserted...the bolt hole lines up. Then you need to tap it in another quarter inch, with a long 3/8ths extention and a hammer. All the while using a small mirror behind the can to see when the hole lines up. It isn't easy and it leaves marks....and it isn't worth the two hours spent screwing with it.

So now the baffle is back in...and it runs perfect again. No fuelling issues at all. Ran the bike up in the hills last Sunday at 4200 feet above sea level and it ran a hair rich....but still hauled ass big time.

Hope I saved you some aggrevation by sharing ... :eagerness:
EJK are having an 07 right now and doing the R&D on it as we speak. They should have something together within weeks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For anyone with an FZ 07 Akrapovic TI system.....I made a tool to remove the baffle without damage. No marks,...no scuffs...no evidence of it being removed. This tool is for the FZ 07 only at the moment....but if you can send me a pic of the end view on the FZ 09 Akra baffle....I can make a tool to remove it.

PM's are best with an e-mail address.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Removing the baffle requires a vice grip to clamp on the baffle and another vice grip attached to the first vice grip to hammer out like a slide hammer. Obviously this leaves marks on the baffle.
Or you an tap it out from the inside using a wooden dowel.

No marks.

:)

I think there are a few people in the UK riding with the baffle out. They are looney tunes.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or you an tap it out from the inside using a wooden dowel.

That would be incorrect. On an Akra Titanium FZ 07 you can't reach the baffle with a wooden dowell. I don't think the Akra Titanium on the FZ 09 is any different. You need a tool to remove the baffle without damage or marks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That would be incorrect. On an Akra Titanium FZ 07 you can't reach the baffle with a wooden dowell. I don't think the Akra Titanium on the FZ 09 is any different. You need a tool to remove the baffle without damage or marks.
On my FZ09 Akra Ti can I used a long impact extension and tapped it out from the inside out. No marks, no special tool, no issues at all. I haven't seen an FZ07 Akra exhaust in person yet, but by looking at the pictures it looks very similar.

Reactions: Alley Oop

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's funny since that's exactly the way that I got mine out.

I separated the muffler from the header pipes, stuck a wooden dowel into the back of the muffler, placed the front end of the dowel on the rear of the baffle, tapped the rear end of the dowel a couple times with a hammer, and presto!

I assume it's the same with the FZ-07 since they are a similar design. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I neglected to mention that the tool I made doesn't require removing the muffler. It's designed to work in 30 seconds with the whole exhaust still on the bike. Knowing that the small exit tubes go all the way to the inner part of the exhaust...I'd be afraid to damage them tapping out the baffle with a long extension. A wooden dowell might work well with no damage on a FZ 07, but I never tried it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts