Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off top notch customer service from vcycle. Got my ecu back today 1st one done with the akra carbon no baffle and i gotta say i love it. went for a quick ride today will do more riding later but so far im very happy. My impressions mirror the others that got their ECUs flashed including those that paid 250 plus. the throttle is smooth the ridiculous engine braking is gone and it feels like a proper bike. I was actually considering selling my bike because the throttle just wasnt fun however not anymore.....636 shock plus akra carbon no baffle plus flash = pure bliss. Thanks to David for giving this service at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Any idea what kind of gains were/will be seen with the flash? Always great to have options but I would love to see some true comparison material.

Thank you!

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Any idea what kind of gains were/will be seen with the flash? Always great to have options but I would love to see some true comparison material.

Thank you!
on a stock bike is was only about 2-3 hp at full throttle across the rev range on a fourth gear pull.

if you ride one in A mode ive flashed you will swear its picked up 20 hp on partial throttle. The value of the flash is not in peak hp gains it is in the partial throttle response both on and off the throttle. I wish it was more quantifiable but it really isn't.

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
1st off top notch customer service from vcycle. Got my ecu back today 1st one done with the akra carbon no baffle and i gotta say i love it. went for a quick ride today will do more riding later but so far im very happy. My impressions mirror the others that got their ECUs flashed including those that paid 250 plus. the throttle is smooth the ridiculous engine braking is gone and it feels like a proper bike. I was actually considering selling my bike because the throttle just wasnt fun however not anymore.....636 shock plus akra carbon no baffle plus flash = pure bliss. Thanks to David for giving this service at a reasonable price.
Really glad your happy!! Thanks for trusting me with the brains of your bike!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
on a stock bike is was only about 2-3 hp at full throttle across the rev range on a fourth gear pull.

if you ride one in A mode ive flashed you will swear its picked up 20 hp on partial throttle. The value of the flash is not in peak hp gains it is in the partial throttle response both on and off the throttle. I wish it was more quantifiable but it really isn't.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Not sure if I asked correctly though: The OP mentioned that he was the first flash for the Carbon Akro system. I was wondering what the gains were for that system with the custom flash; not just the general flash.

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. Not sure if I asked correctly though: The OP mentioned that he was the first flash for the Carbon Akro system. I was wondering what the gains were for that system with the custom flash; not just the general flash.

Thanks again.

Ahh ok. Haven't gone to the dyno yet with the akro hopefully early next week to compare

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ahh ok. Haven't gone to the dyno yet with the akro hopefully early next week to compare
Thanks again for the prompt reply!

I am not a tuner by any means and perhaps it is just because I don't know what your process is but, how would/could you optimize fueling changes without a dyno? One of the bigger concerns for me would be the air/fuel ratio; do you have a way to verify that there are no lean conditions?

Thank you again for entertaining my queries. I am trying to make a decision on what option to go with (Flash, Power Commander, Bazzazz, etc... And if a Flash, Which one).

·
Vendor
1,507 Posts
Thanks again for the prompt reply!

I am not a tuner by any means and perhaps it is just because I don't know what your process is but, how would/could you optimize fueling changes without a dyno? One of the bigger concerns for me would be the air/fuel ratio; do you have a way to verify that there are no lean conditions?

Thank you again for entertaining my queries. I am trying to make a decision on what option to go with (Flash, Power Commander, Bazzazz, etc... And if a Flash, Which one).

No worries on the questions I'm sure many others have the same ones

I use a pcv and autotuner to develop the maps. I find actually riding the bike in real world conditions more accurate then dyno tuning for partial throttle settings. At least the dyno's I have access to. I have read that there are dyno's to do accurate part throttle mapping I just don't have access to them.

I take a lot of time and go through a whole process to ensure repeatability and accuracy of my maps and am very confident in them. As in any remote tune there is room for some error on a different bike then the bike the map was made on. This is true for any remote tune

After I do the street mapping I just put it on a dyno to verify my full throttle settings are making best power by adjusting the ignition timing and fueling to see how power is effected

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I want to get this done, but I may flip between the DB killer in and DB killer out. I assume I should go with the "out" map as a compromise?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently installed the akra carbon and had the 'v-flash'. Though due to the weather we've been experiencing I can't do a lot of reporting on either since I've only been able to get in a quick freezing ride. My initial thoughts are very positive on both the exhaust and the flash. I'll have more to report as soon as the weather breaks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What size postal shipping box is everyone using when sending the ECU? I plan plan on wrapping it in bubble wrap and maybe foam to protect it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
What size postal shipping box is everyone using when sending the ECU? I plan plan on wrapping it in bubble wrap and maybe foam to protect it.
I used the small USPS flat rate priority shipping box that the post office gives you. I also wrapped a little bubble warp around the unit inside the box.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts