Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok....Here is my review....

The tech I had install them said that Traxxion could have given better instructions on how to assemble the cartridge, spring, shims, etc...He noted an exploded view would have been crazy helpful. As for my opinion on this, I dont have one because I did not install them.

How do they feel you ask? I would say that everything missing in the stock setup is now present. No diving while braking, more stable in and out of corners, many of the bumps and lumps in the road are no longer felt in the bars. Absolutely love the upgrade and would recommend to any potential buy, friend, or even family member.

Thanks for the opportunity Dan!

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly, not sure.... Dan asked for my weight (205-210 lbs with gear) and sent a setup for me. On the instructions there was a box with blank baseline settings. The blanks were filled in by hand with a red pen for suggested compression and rebound settings. I have not altered those settings thus far. I figured I'd put a few hundred miles to allow for any kind of "break in" that may occur before I fine tune. At this point, I do not have a reason to adjust away from base line.

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Morning everyone!

Thought Id post a little review of my Ak-20 cartridge kit.

I was lucky enough to get in on this deal and jumped at the chance and Im glad I did! I sent my forks to Traxxion for them to do the install and also a little extra... I had them anodize my forks black also. They look fantastic now! Their service was exceptional.

For my little review I should say Ive got a Penske 8900E rear. Also a reflash from Stoltec. Im 173 lbs at the moment and front and back are set up for a 180lb rider. I told traxxion to set it up for sport touring and spirited joy-riding.

Heres the review: This might be short as I am not a suspension expert and have not owned alot of bikes to compare it to. However the stock suspension is dangerous imo. If you just ride like grandma on Sunday its probably fine, but for any spirited ride where you push it at all you will get wobbly and unpredictable in the corners. Not to mention severe brake dive that makes the rear brake useless and dangerous. And whatever the back does on hard acceleration? Yeah thats annoying. I didnt believe how subpar the suspension is stock on this bike until I bought mine. Its all true. Very little confidence in traction from day one. Lowering tire pressures helped a little but sheesh... Really killed my riding enjoyment when Im puckered up wondering if the tires will stick!

Now after the front and rear work is done, I took a 200 mile round trip to where I bought the bike yesterday. I had Pony Powersports do a service and one more thing. I had them set sag for me. The bike was already sooo much more planted, stable, confidence inspiring but on my way back I knew it was dialed in pretty close unless I want to mess with the other settings. Frankly I may never adjust another thing. The difference is really night and day in front and back. A complete joy to ride! As it should be. My enjoyment, the reason I ride, is where it shouldve been all along.

Minimal brake dive. All the weight doesnt drop on the front locking your back brake up. Now the rear brake is a lot more useful.
The ride is plush yet firm on harder bumps and bigger pot holes. I was aiming for the worst part of the road just to enjoy how my suspension works!
Go into corners with confidence instead of puckered cheeks!
I feel less worry about bottoming out and wrecking my oil pan!

As for the Penske 8900E in back. The squat is gone and bye, bye pogo machine.

The transformation is like magic both front and rear. I feel the bike is now super bad-ass! Im very proud of the results.

Im sure Im forgetting a few things I wanted to put in this review but Im still just waking up and doing the best I can. I will leave with a few pics and the comment that this kit is worth the money! On sale or not. The kit is fantastic.

IMAG0317.jpg IMAG0319.jpg IMAG0311.jpg IMAG0324.jpg

No

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Guess you miss the best deals when you buy the bike latter in the season....wish I could have been in on this one ! I have the AK20 installed in my 2002 FZ1 and it was like night and day !!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just placed a order for the ak-20 cant wait to try them out.....(update #1) received them in two days but im not far from Atlanta....my instructions are pretty straight forward so they may have updated them..plan on doing the install this Sunday but cant do a ride report due to the impending WHITE DEATH OF 2-3 inches of snow we may get...yes 3 inches of snow will shut Memphis down....They were great to deal with and im sure the ride will be as expected....mine came with the tools needed for the install (cartridge holder/ fork cap socket) minus the spring compressor and oil height gauge...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I wonder if they offer a discount to active duty military?

·
Registered
987 Posts
You could always ask.

For my business, I consider it only for enlisted personnel. Why would I give a discount to an officer making $60-$90 grand a year?
Agreed! ;)

Reactions: Alley Oop

·
Registered
601 Posts
Why are Officers less deserving of "Military" discount? Are they not military?
Officers pay 10% more. :)

Each business has a choice. Clearly in my case, being military is not the only consideration.

If all military were equal, then I would have made more than $9,000 my first full year of enlisted service and not had to live in squalor while the officers had luxury condos.

I could go into more depth about the job performance of those highly compensated and benefited officers and whether they're entitled to discounts from struggling small businesses. Or we could talk about the merits of various professions such as paramedics, firefighters, police, teachers and how a small business chooses among which professions to offer discounts and what makes one more deserving than another. But my brief answer will suffice to avoid a threadjack. Thanks.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts