Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is what an AirHawk Dual Sport seat cushion looks like on a n FZ-09. I know there was another review with an image but I wanted to show a good top view:

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

This thing cost me $160 on Amazon.

I followed the advice of others and put very little air in it and went for ride with it in my backpack. I wanted to see if it provide relief after soreness had already developed. My first half of the ride was an hour with just my OEM seat (no cushion) I felt fine with no issues. There wasn't much traffic so I was really having fun. I stopped for 20 minutes for a breakfast sandwich and some coffee then returned. On the return trip I felt sore after 40 minutes or so. I felt it was time to try the cushion sine I kept readjusting my seating position. I pulled over and put it on. At first I was not pleased. Not because of the pain relief or increased in comfort but because it felt awkward. Like a bunch of stuff under me. In addition I could feel the shift in air pressure within the cushion when decelerating or breaking. It felt like a slow deflation of air from front to back as my weight shifted. Keep in mind I have very little air in this thing. I mean very little. It felt as if there was no air in it. The only way to tell is to roll it up and you can tell there is some air in it. I pulled over and readjusted the cushion a little further forward so that it felt like my butt was hanging off the back. This worked better as far as the shift on air pressure support under me. It felt more stable but I still wanted it to feel better so I stopped and let even more air out. I swear this thing is empty but its not and I now know how to master this thing because I found a good setting of air pressure and position. As far as the air pressure is concerned, it really does only take a little..like a sip of air to do the trick. When your weight is on it that this layer of air is spread out and distributes your weight. So how did it feel? It felt great!!! The pain went away and was a non issue. My personal stability on the bike was very good. I might even say better because I felt locked in to the seat. I'm not riding aggressively enough to shift my butt off the seat around turns just to provide context to my riding style. So with that said I don't think this would be an option on the track.

So I rode with this for the rest of my ride home and then some because I wanted to see how the comfort lasted. I was comfortable the whole ride home.

1st day verdict:

Was it worth the $? I say I need more time.. its expensive and I would rather have a good seat instead. see below if i would recommend it
Did it provide comfort? YES and it felt better as soon as I sat on it.
Will it extend your ride time/distance? YES
Does it feel awkward? Yes at first but it really does take some time to get it to feel just right.
Would I recommend it? Hmmmm I would say not yet. If this cost $40 then I would absolutely recommend it right now. But I will continue to test and this may change.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Airhawk2 line of pads are effectively the same but are made with polyurethane vs rubber so they're not quite as robust, but are perfectly fine for occasional long rides. An Airhawk2 is about half the price as an Airhawk, they start at like $80 bucks I think.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im one of the guys that push the Air-Hawk for those with butt pains. Ive got the Air-Hawk DS and my last long ride was 1000 miles in 2 days with the climax of the trip being the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and finally my favorite, the Devils Triangle so you know I was moving around on the seat quite a bit for those roads. So IMO once youre used to it you can slide around on the seat when needed. I put more weight on the pegs, lift and slide my bottom over to hang some ham. No problem.

After this trip I was surprised that I totally forgot about my sore ass problem. It was simply a non-issue the whole time and I forgot all about it. As it should be!

I leave mine on pretty much all the time. Once your butt is sore theres really no butt pad gonna make it better. You need a pain pill for that. Not fair to judge a seat pad when youre already butt-sore. LOL.

I should add Ive got the Yamaha comfort seat under my Air-Hawk. On my other ride, the Can-am Spyder I also have a BRP Comfort seat and an Air-Hawk. So you can see Ive also spent money on upgraded seats and STILL use the Air-Hawk. Its that good IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im one of the guys that push the Air-Hawk for those with butt pains. Ive got the Air-Hawk DS and my last long ride was 1000 miles in 2 days with the climax of the trip being the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and finally my favorite, the Devils Triangle so you know I was moving around on the seat quite a bit for those roads. So IMO once youre used to it you can slide around on the seat when needed. I put more weight on the pegs, lift and slide my bottom over to hang some ham. No problem.

After this trip I was surprised that I totally forgot about my sore ass problem. It was simply a non-issue the whole time and I forgot all about it. As it should be!

I leave mine on pretty much all the time. Once your butt is sore theres really no butt pad gonna make it better. You need a pain pill for that. Not fair to judge a seat pad when youre already butt-sore. LOL.

I should add Ive got the Yamaha comfort seat under my Air-Hawk. On my other ride, the Can-am Spyder I also have a BRP Comfort seat and an Air-Hawk. So you can see Ive also spent money on upgraded seats and STILL use the Air-Hawk. Its that good IMO.
I have no doubts that this is going to be a keeper. I just wanted to be real and fair with my review.

I went out and spent some time on it again tonight and did a quick sit on the seat without the AirHawk and then with it. I found that it really felt good and a non issue as far as pain and stability.

·
Registered
385 Posts
LoL, "hang some ham". I'm stealing that one fo sho!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I didn't catch that the first time "Hang some Ham" that's a keeper.

daltmeyer, do you strap your Airhawk down?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh by the way, the hanging ham comment I first heard at the spyderlovers forum. Yes, you hang ham on the spyder if you want to do it right and go fast in the curves as it don't lean and could fling you right off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks promising but kinda expensive I checked out the website looks like they have 2 that would be compatible with our bikes

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've riddena couple of bikes with the airhawkpads and was not impressed at all, felt like I was ridding on a pillow on top the seat. For me a new seat is the only way to go . Rr. :cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i suppose it comes down to what type of rider you are. I shift my weight a lot when riding aggressively - id fear this would move or just not feel natural - not to mention i think a full seat just looks better. There are a few seats out there from big name companies like seat concepts and corbin - but if you're on the fence and want to replace the seat (i highly recommend replacing it) - also ask around about local upholsters - you'd be amazed on the job some of these guys can do - and sometimes for less money - you can get a completely custom, comfortable and unique seat for much less than some of the big names churning these out.

It also isn't a bad thing to help out a local business...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts