Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the seat pad to be to small. I find it to provide relief from the hot spots associated with the extreme pull and friction on the riders butt due to the FZ-09 torque and engine breaking.

I do not think this is worth the 160 I paid. I would not recommend it.

I rode for 3 hours yesterday and during the the last half I was doing the sore butt dance even with the airhawk on. I'm sure it did extend my ride time but for $160 I want it to do a better job.
The pad is to short. I find I need it to be positioned even with the front of the seat to keep me from rocking forward on it when breaking and decelerating. However with this set up I feel like my but is positioned over the back edge of the AirHawk. So if I move it back a little I feel like my hips want to move forward or rock forward. I have tech spec tanks pads from Stoltec installed which helps but I feel like its a battle.

So This is not a bash of the product just my findings and opinion to help others decide of its something they want to gamble on. I will keep trying to use this but only until I find it to be too much effort to be happy with.

I did contact Sargent about the release of their seat. I was given a reply stating the seat is looking good and on time for an end of summer/spring release. It was suggested to me to do the pre-registration program to get early purchase discounts when the seat is released.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have to ask... Why are you so dead set on the Sargent seat when no info about it has been released yet and there are other seat options available?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The air-hawk ds is a pretty good fit for the fz-09 seat although not perfect. Could be a little bigger perhaps. I find it works great for me as is and think its money well spent.

I tried the air-hawk I have on my can-am spyder, can't remember the model. It's not that big though until I tried it on the fz-09... It's huuge. No way it would work so I ordered the ds.

Here's a pic of mine. Not sure how much bigger it could be.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to ask... Why are you so dead set on the Sargent seat when no info about it has been released yet and there are other seat options available?
Good question and to clarify I'm not dead set on the Sargent seat. I am however looking at sargents other seat concepts applied to other bikes like the street triple and using that to further my curiosity on how the FZ-09 might look. I like the look of the Corbin as well but have read it could be a hard seat too. So I'm waiting for the Sargent to be released before I make up my mind. As far as other options, well, I am not going to do anything that uses my OEM seat pan. I want to keep that as is. So any other options that include a seat pan, I am open to. It's just that it seams Corbin and Sargent are the most popular I guess

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used an Air Hawk for years, but not as a seat "fix", but to extend a long days ride. If I'm hitting the twisties, I typically stow the hawk and ride on just the seat. If I need to slab it, or drone along on a major highway, the hawk is really nice to throw on the bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The air-hawk ds is a pretty good fit for the fz-09 seat although not perfect. Could be a little bigger perhaps. I find it works great for me as is and think its money well spent.

I tried the air-hawk I have on my can-am spyder, can't remember the model. It's not that big though until I tried it on the fz-09... It's huuge. No way it would work so I ordered the ds.

Here's a pic of mine. Not sure how much bigger it could be.
I see you have a tank bag and you're air hawk is set back pretty far on the seat compared to where I set mine. I wonder does the tank bag offer good support for you to lean on and put some weight on? If so do you find that to something you do?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good question and to clarify I'm not dead set on the Sargent seat. I am however looking at sargents other seat concepts applied to other bikes like the street triple and using that to further my curiosity on how the FZ-09 might look. I like the look of the Corbin as well but have read it could be a hard seat too. So I'm waiting for the Sargent to be released before I make up my mind. As far as other options, well, I am not going to do anything that uses my OEM seat pan. I want to keep that as is. So any other options that include a seat pan, I am open to. It's just that it seams Corbin and Sargent are the most popular I guess
IMO the Corbin design does not lend itself to sporty bikes. It's cushiony and comfy but too "bulky" for bikes where you move around a lot while in the seat. If Sargent is also going in that direction then that's not good. The Saddlemen designs I think are going in the right direction. Look at them. The Saddlemen sport seat is the one I'd go for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I see you have a tank bag and you're air hawk is set back pretty far on the seat compared to where I set mine. I wonder does the tank bag offer good support for you to lean on and put some weight on? If so do you find that to something you do?
When you need to tuck in and become aerodynamic it sure does help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll throw my $0.02 in here since I just bought an Air Hawk DS and tested for only 50mi this weekend.

I agree that the overall dimensions could be a little bigger, but considering it wasn't designed specifically for the FZ I'd say it fits decently. My rather large ass fits pretty well on the pad, I'm 6'1" and roughly 245lbs. But it was a bit of trial and error getting the amount of air right so I felt comfortable but still "attached" to the seat. Initially I felt really disconnected from the rear wheel and was kinda floating around...after letting out almost all of the air (really there's very little required) if was much better and still provided good comfort. Normally after 50mi I'm ready to ride standing up haha, this time no problem. And i could feel the air moving between pockets when required.

I positioned mine about 1" away from the front of the tank and find it works nicely with the more forward stance that the clubman bars provide. I was also impressed that it never moved a mm, even when i was moving around in the saddle for turns, etc. it stayed put completely. And eliminated the bunching up effect in the crotchal region from sliding forward on the stock seat which was a huge plus.

Although if i knew i was gonna be riding very aggressively I would still take the pad off and get right on the stock brick, i mean seat...but for normal riding and commuting it seems perfectly fine. And yes its a bit pricey but seems well built, I guess time will tell.

Overall I like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts