Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just looking at light mods people have done on their bikes and I got thinking why not throw in a LED strip inside the air intake scoops. The two side air intake scoops are fake because the air that goes in gets blocked by a metal plate either way. So I was thinking why not get two LED strips, stick them inside and wire them up to the front turn signals. That way they only turn on when you turn on the bike and it would only make you more visible from dusk to dawn. I wasn't thinking of super flashy LED strips, but enough to light up through the guards. What do you guys think of this mod?

Air Intake Back.jpg Air Intake Front.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've changed over to LEDs and was contemplating a light mod too. I found some LED marker lights that require a 3/4" hole... they would fit nicely in the scoop, but I won't know how it looks until I actually do it. I was thinking of using an opaque plastic under the mesh to spread the light out and hopefully make the whole "intake" area glow.
I say if it only costs a few dollars, go for it! You can always tweak it till you like it, or remove it if you don't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've changed over to LEDs and was contemplating a light mod too. I found some LED marker lights that require a 3/4" hole... they would fit nicely in the scoop, but I won't know how it looks until I actually do it. I was thinking of using an opaque plastic under the mesh to spread the light out and hopefully make the whole "intake" area glow.
I say if it only costs a few dollars, go for it! You can always tweak it till you like it, or remove it if you don't.
Yes, if I replace the mesh with some acrylic plastic panels and stick on a LED strip then it would create a nice glow inside the scoops!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Someone send us the scoops and we can make something for this!!!!!
Online they are about 40 bucks a scoop. I'd love to send you mine but I'm afraid I don't want to ride around without them haha. If you don't get any takers I'll send mine this winter.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I can't find the thread/post now. Recently there was a post with photo of someone that had installed bright yellow LEDs in the scoops.

In my opinion having front signals in the scoops only aren't as visible as they need to be from the side like when you are at an intersection. I've already installed quality LED front signals but am interested in adding LED signals in the scoops to enhance daytime effectiveness for people ahead of me.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I can't find the thread/post now. Recently there was a post with photo of someone that had installed bright yellow LEDs in the scoops.

In my opinion having front signals in the scoops only aren't as visible as they need to be from the side like when you are at an intersection. I've already installed quality LED front signals but am interested in adding LED signals in the scoops to enhance daytime effectiveness for people ahead of me.
agreed - i have to say from a distance when i see guys riding with aftermarket LED running lights in addition to the headlight/blinkers - it's almost always the first thing i see.

·
Registered
520 Posts
agreed - i have to say from a distance when i see guys riding with aftermarket LED running lights in addition to the headlight/blinkers - it's almost always the first thing i see.
Would be cool sending the running light wire to the scoops onto another set of lights after it is discarded from led install...I guess you would have to tie in the ground from those lights to the ground on front sigs though.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
If a kit gets made to retrofit the scoops with lights I'll buy a set for sure, assuming they throw a descent amount of light.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Whats in it for me if I send in my scoops?
A free set of modified scoops. You want some for signals or accent lights? Red/amber/blue/white/green.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A free set of modified scoops. You want some for signals or accent lights? Red/amber/blue/white/green.
I'm temped, right now I have signals that aren't as visible in the front. I was going to rewire the running lights in the headlight but this would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts