Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a new battery in my 2017, I want something that will hopefully last longer than the stock battery. I usually get AGM batteries no matter what kind of vehicle/bike it's for, but I'm thinking about going with a lithium battery this time.
The Fire Power featherweight lithium is $80 on Amazon, I thought these batteries were quite pricey in the past? Is it worth it over an AGM battery that might cost a bit less? Any advantages of the lithium besides weight?
If I should get lithium, is this Firepower battery a good one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you live in a cold climate (40f or less) you might want to give a second thought to a lithium battery.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is the one I have, it's the only lithium I'd buy. If it doesn't have some way to cut the load all it takes is leaving the ignition on one time and you could kill the battery permanently. The Antigravity batteries open the circuit if you leave something on and the battery voltage goes too low.

AGM's are obviously way more robust and will take a lot of abuse. The other advantage to lithium though is noticeably faster cranking because they have higher cranking amps than AGM. Not to mention the ~3.5lbs weight you drop between AGM and lithium.

Amazon.com: Antigravity ATZ-10-RS Lithium RE-START Battery, Replace YTZ10, YTX9, others: Automotive

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
My '14 still has the original battery. And it still starts first time. Battery tenders are worth every cent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here, Lou. My 14 is still rockin' the original Yuasa.

I sell countless batteries at the tail end of winter / beginning of spring to people who just parked their bike for a few months when the weather gets crap. Half of em still proclaim they don't need a tender, griping that the new $100 battery already costs too much.

/boggle

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I left the lights on with my Ballistic lithium ion battery and it became $235 toast. Ballistic said tough luck. I'd still get another, cheaper lithium ion one and be more careful when time comes to replace my '14 FZ-09's original battery.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I used an antigravity lithium in my vfr streetfighter. Not ridden often, started first time every time, even after sitting for 6 months.
Started in the cold(snowing overnight cold) when i rode to cooma for the weekend.
Have an ssb lithium in mt mt09.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
This is the one I have, it's the only lithium I'd buy. If it doesn't have some way to cut the load all it takes is leaving the ignition on one time and you could kill the battery permanently. The Antigravity batteries open the circuit if you leave something on and the battery voltage goes too low.

AGM's are obviously way more robust and will take a lot of abuse. The other advantage to lithium though is noticeably faster cranking because they have higher cranking amps than AGM. Not to mention the ~3.5lbs weight you drop between AGM and lithium.

Amazon.com: Antigravity ATZ-10-RS Lithium RE-START Battery, Replace YTZ10, YTX9, others: Automotive
I have the same battery. I've never had an issue starting the bike all the way down to 25F. I have accidently let it drain 'all the way' till the inbuilt circuits cut the load (which was a BT OBDII scanner). Battery is still fine, although it did not 'save' enough energy to start the bike as they claim it will, so don't count on it, carry a jump pack or whatever if that is your thing. I did drain it once by accident with the headlight, and it did still have enough juice to start the bike after that so it must have something to do with how big the load is, or how fast the voltage is dropping.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you live in a cold climate (40f or less) you might want to give a second thought to a lithium battery.
That's why I didn't immediately switch to a Li bat for weight and space savings.

My '14 still has the original battery. And it still starts first time. Battery tenders are worth every cent.
My MonsTah-09 gets garaged for a couple months in winter... The battery tender I have has kept it nice and warm. Have not had problems with the stock battery. Every time I measure it, it's showing 12.7 solid on the bat tender. Def worth the investment on a tender.

Actually, I once left my bike on all night. Needless to say, the battery was dead in the AM. The tender resurrected within a 9 hour period and I've had no issues with stock since.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I got this lithium battery for $65 on ebay. Open box. Regular price is $125 on ebay. You don't need a battery tender on these, they keep their charge over a year. built in protection for the going completely dead issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Above BT on Amazon

But if an LI with 2 + & 2 - terminals attracts you

And a LI / LA hybrid!!!

OEM (my choice)

Same as OEM but 2 + & 2 - and has lasted 6+ years on my infrequently ridden 1000 cc twin with halogen driving lights, a hard wired cell charger and heated gear plug (that also connects a Bat Tendr)!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you go lead acid, you need to go AGM as the battery lays down. A flooded cell won't work this way (for long)
If you go lithium, get a 4 post version so you can orient the battery to suit the cables, tape over the unused ones.
AND Check to make sure the battery doesn't contact the seat pan :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I own this battery since 2017 and used it in my previous Yamaha MT 09 2017 model. Now I own the new MT 09 2021 model. Both use YTZ10S as standard. Upon connecting this battery to the new bike, I think I have steadier idle, less exhaust noise, more detailed throttle response .Are these in my fantasy? Is there a problem to void my bike’s warranty?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The battery will not void your warranty. It's considered a consumable like brakes, tires and dare I say oil & coolant.
One of the jobs the battery does it to even out voltage spikes and the capacity of the one you installed will do that well.
If it ever dies, you may want to replace it with a Lithium iron phosphate battery as they are less likely to get into a thermal runaway condition that Lithium Ion's have a reputation for doing.
By then, there may be even better battery technologies out there

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow! My '14 battery lasted about two years. Bought some cheap(er - maybe $100) lithium off Amazon (I think) and it's worked since. Cables were backwards, but they reached OK.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The battery will not void your warranty. It's considered a consumable like brakes, tires and dare I say oil & coolant.
One of the jobs the battery does it to even out voltage spikes and the capacity of the one you installed will do that well.
If it ever dies, you may want to replace it with a Lithium iron phosphate battery as they are less likely to get into a thermal runaway condition that Lithium Ion's have a reputation for doing.
By then, there may be even better battery technologies out there
Can you be more specific for what is the thermal runaway?Is it harmful for the bike?Give us an example of the battery you propose!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I used an antigravity lithium in my vfr streetfighter. Not ridden often, started first time every time, even after sitting for 6 months.
Started in the cold(snowing overnight cold) when i rode to cooma for the weekend.
Have an ssb lithium in mt mt09.
(y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts