Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a new FZ09 with Dunflop tires.
The dealer offered to change them out before I pick up the bike
next Monday. He'll adjust the price of whatever I choose for tires
as he can resell the OEM Dunlops. He offered up Pirelli Diablo Corsa's
mounted for $300. I can buy the Bridgestone S-20's delivered to my
house for $232 and get them mounted for $25 a piece. The Pilot Road 2
delivered for $242. I'll always been a fan of Bridgestone tires and Michelin
and Metzler's too.

So...my question is, with the advent of the Pilot Road 4...is the Pilot Road 2
still in production? The reason for my choice of the PR2 is nothing more than
I like the look of the deep siping. Silly, I know. But there it is.

~fish

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just ask how old they are.... there's a date code on every tire. First two digits is the week, and second set of digits is the year.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply LD,

I am familiar with reading date codes. But, motorcycle-superstore.com is just too big an outfit to ask them
to check the manufacture date. Maybe I'll call the Michelin regional rep and ask. I just thought someone here
would know whether or not the PR2 is indeed still being manufactured.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, mis-read... I thought they were at the dealership.
Sorry, I was a bit confusing. The dealer offered to swap to Pirelli Diable Corsa's and I wanted something different.
I think I'll try the Dunlops just to see, but it will still be pretty chilly for the next 6 weeks up in the mountains of
North Carolina and Virginia. And I think I'm reading the Dunlops take a while to warm and don't do well in low temps.
Thanks. Of course, maybe all it really needs is for the rider to practice reasonable tire management.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I purchased the PR4's. I have found that over the years tire technology takes big leaps forward with new models. I loved my PR3's, and can't imagine the 4's being any worse. I will give a report when I return from Austin.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a sets of Pilot Roads (the first version - single compound) that were manufactured in July 2013 and Pilot Road 2s that were manufactured in June 2013,so it appears they still make the full range

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You are right DNF, I might as well sell a few pints of plasma and pop for the $68 difference between PR2's and PR4's. $331 delivered.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a sets of Pilot Roads (the first version - single compound) that were manufactured in July 2013 and Pilot Road 2s that were manufactured in June 2013,so it appears they still make the full range
Yep, the PR2 is still listed in the Michelin 2013 catalog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts