Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have changed bars..which ones? and why? I see a lot of changes, but what was accomplished? Sportier, comfort, looks?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Rizoma MA008.
I like how they're a bit lower, but wish the sweep angle wasn't as great; kind of negates any forward reach, which is what I would prefer.
Still feels better than stock and I love the way they look. Worth a few more thousand miles before I try something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So more sweep, less height with those. Are most aftermarket bars going to be lower? Any higher bars available?

·
Registered
957 Posts
The stock bars are the highest you can get without putting on something made for a cruiser. And those would bring the bars up to shoulder height. Any aftermarket bars will be lower. If you want to raise the bars you have to use risers, not a different bar.

when I swap bars eventually it'll be to get something that is more aggressive than stock. The stock bars have me sitting bolt upright which is great for city riding but bad on the highway and bad for handling. A very slight natural forward lean that allowed me to put more weight on the bars when I wanted to but didn't force me to would be ideal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Love the clubmans, huge difference in seating position. I think they're about as extreme as you can get on the fz.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Pro Taper Countours in CR High bend. Same bars I use on my other bikes. If I had to do it again I'd go with the CR Mid because of the larger control area...the CR High barely has enough room.

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 on the Rizoma MA008- including the sweep being a bit too much. I would love to have them angled maybe 5 degrees less to pull me forward another 3/4" or thereabouts. I swapped my handlebar mounts which moves the bars forward about 5/8", but would like just a bit more. The instrument wires were barely long enough on my bike for the handlebar mount swap by the way.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I put new bars on as after installing the GPR stabilizer, it raises bar height. Wanted a little more weight over front rather than higher up. Went with ProTaper Universal Low.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car Auto part

Reactions: Smitherz

·
Registered
88 Posts
Standard flat moto cross style bar too far away for my short arms. Also, rotates my shoulder/arms up into an awkward position; too painful to ride all day. Installed Bikemaster 7/8" steel bar; Daytona Touring I think. Cobbled up some aluminum spacers so it would fit. They are slightly closer to me, but have enough pull back/ drop to put shoulders/ arms in comfort zone. Comfort= relaxed=more subtle control inputs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Had pastrana highs but they were to high , ordered some Carmichael pro tapers

·
Registered
657 Posts
Buck, I noticed you changed risers. How did you mount your stock speedo?

Thanks,

loudest143
As mentioned, the GPR damper kit comes with new risers that have the mounting holes for stock speedo. It can cause gauge-to-wind screen interference issues, so I had to re-locate the speedo cluster slightly

·
Registered
139 Posts
Had pastrana highs but they were to high , ordered some Carmichael pro tapers
+1 on the Pro Taper Carmichael Bend. I know a lot of members have done this one too. I think it's the perfect blend of aggressive while still comfortable. I can tuck now without my elbows pointing towards the pavement. It angles your body slightly more forward whilst not applying a lot of pressure to your wrists.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts