Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket exhaust on my FZ-09. They sound so much better than stock and give a slight performance benefit as well, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $500+ investment. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards a slip on cuz they're cheaper, but good quality and easy install are what I'd look for. Opinions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been looking as well, and I'm kind of leaning towards the Yoshi (R-77)full system. It looks great, (the Carbon Fiber), complements the bike, and is quite a bit less expensive than others, but not much more than the slip-ons. I've seen them for between $800 and $850.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I was in your boat too...I didn't think getting an exhaust was such a big deal, was it really worth the $$?

Then I got in on a good group buy for an Arrow full system and just said "The hell with it"
I have to say, it was AWESOME having the exhaust.
1. I did notice the bike being quicker, and pulling harder...the little performance boost was noticed
2. It cleaned up the the look alot...lets face it, the OEM nut-sack looks crappy...the aftermarket full systems tighten up the appearance alot
3. The SOUND, OMG...droool...it sounded so insanely good...I did not expect to love the sound as much as I did...sooo worth it

So yes...I think it is a good upgrade worth doing.

One thing to note...the slip-ons require you to hack apart your OEM exhaust because it is one big welded piece...so you can never return it to stock if you go that route. The price difference between the slip-ons and full systems aren't THAT great either...plus I think the full system headers look nicer, and are better integrated to the contours of the bike, but thats just my opinion.

good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't have an exhaust yet so this might be invalid...

Slip ons are not bad, as they allow you to use the pretty much perfectly flowing stock headers, BUT some are pretty pricy, and all require you to cut the stock exhaust.

For me, I'd rather save up the couple extra $100 for a full exhaust because no cutting is required... You will still have the full stock exhaust as back up or something in case you would for some reason need it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
There is no wrong or right here. Some people like to stay sock and quiet. Some people (like me) like the sound of aftermarket systems/cans. I have owned many street bikes, my first in 1989, and have had at least a slip-on on all but the first bike. It is a personal choice that includes sound, looks, performance, weight reduction, etc. Beware of the fanatics that say "if you are not getting a .......... you are getting shit". Many companies have been doing this for a long time and "generally" male quality products. I've owned Supertrapp, Cobra, Leo Vince, Two Brothers Racing and Yoshimura and wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of their products again.

That being said, earlier today I ordered up the Yoshimura stainless w/carbon end cap for my Blazin Orange. Cant wait to get rid of the scrotum that hangs below..

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
So I'm toying with the idea of installing an aftermarket exhaust on my FZ-09. They sound so much better than stock and give a slight performance benefit as well, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $500+ investment. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards a slip on cuz they're cheaper, but good quality and easy install are what I'd look for. Opinions?
The M4 can be had for about ~$350.00...its a bit of work to install it , but nothing too crazy....It took me about 55 minutes, I have all the proper tools and I'm anal about stuff like that, so I took my time and made sure it was done perfectly....I think its worth every penny and then some....a full system will run you about twice that, and some full systems are even more.....whether or not a full system is worth it, only you can decide...for me, a slip on was the logical choice.

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
833 Posts
The demo Fz-09 I rode have the M4 on it. Sounded great. The stainless Yosh I just bought ran $735, so Yes, at least twice as much. Again, personal preference. Do what's best for you and ride the wheels off of her!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Akrapovic carbon fiber full system $709 OTD at Indy superbike.
I bought the Arkapovic carbon from Indy Superbike. I like it alot. IMO, it's the best value on the market. Akrapovic is recognized for their engineering and quality; however, the price, especially for the carbon, is low compared to other exhausts.

·
Registered
555 Posts
50 bucks or so and 10 minutes from any local welder/fab shop will return your system back to stock for those looking to go the slip on route........don't think for a moment that because you have chopped your stock system up that it is effectively useless now, all you have done is one straight cut in one place. It can be re-used if you so desire at a later date. Or if you have the tools and welder at home yourself or access to one, free to return to stock. With the weld being in the exact same place as before, and cleaning it up after you had finished...........anyone would be hard pressed to know the exhaust had even been cut in the first place if its a good weld and care is taken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's really personal preference. I've always been an exhaust guy - graves, racefit growler, MIVV, custom work, etc. My past cars have been mod-heavy with catback exhausts; even my current car has a nice AWE exhaust... but my FZ-09 is still stock. I really enjoy the stealth status of the OEM exhaust. Now, there are pros and cons to this... lane splitting being the biggest issue for me. On my old bikes, they were loud and people would know I was coming up on them. I don't see them same happening with my FZ-09.

On the flip side, I haven't been hassled by the cops... I don't get second takes from them and I can ride without having to constantly look in my mirrors. Will I get an exhaust in the future? Maybe. I definitely miss the scream of the exhaust when speeding up on the freeway, or rolling onto the throttle mid-turn. Just know that the marginal performance gain(s) from simple mods will never trump riding experience/skill. Sure, you might gain a few HP here and there, but what difference is 100HP to 105HP?

·
Registered
416 Posts
+ 1 on the Akrapovic Carbon - Just got my system last night and I'm very impressed with the build quality. The price was awesome, too! Two thumbs up! :cool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I ordered the Yosh stainless, I will let everybody know what I think being it is out for delivery today. Thanks Revzilla! super fast delivery!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aussie MT09'er here (ok FZ09 :p) Like a lot I was like WHOOAA at the price but went for the laser engraved Akro (stainless/titanium) love it and while i had intentions to run no baffle (I had a ZX10R before with a Yoshi RS3 and no baffle = LOUD!) after running the bike baffle in I don't know many people who would want or need it louder as it's up there! Sounds great though, just need to fix the popping and farting on light throttle as it's pretty major and the dealer did already block off the AIS for me (wondering if they didn't do it very well or missed something though?)

$1500 AUD here so might make you guys feel better about the price you pay. ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts