Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a few other threads revolving around my purchase, and you guys have been a great help!

Picked up my 2015 matte gray over the weekend down in Indianapolis. Hauled it on a uhaul up to northern Indiana. Then drove it for the first time on my 180 mile ride back to Michigan. Set my gps to avoid highways and took advantage of the quiet country roads to break it in. It was way colder than the forecast had called for (about 50 degrees) so I was freezing the entire way home. Stuffed a garbage bag into my mesh jacket to break the wind a bit. Couldn't stop smiling the whole way :)

Thoughts on the bike: This is my first bike, so it'll be quite a learning process for me. Before this, I spent a week touring on a older Honda Magna 750. Also rented a Ducati monster while visiting a friend in California to explore the coast and mountains. I had a chance to get a short demo ride on an fz09 and fz07 last year. I stiffened up the suspension in the front and tightened the rebound damping. I left the rear suspension at stock settings. At 170lbs in my birthday suit, the bike felt great to me, but I wasn't pushing it hard. I love how smooth the engine is (what sold me on this over the fz07) and how you can never be in a wrong gear due to the torque.

I remember the seat feeling awkward on my demo ride last year, but I found that I enjoyed it on my roughly 4 hour drive home. I found there's two ways I can sit on the seat. When I'm going slowly, I can sit close to the tank where the seat is most level. When I'm going over 40-50mph, I like to scoot back to the wider part of the seat. It causes you to lean forward more, but the wind pressure kind of counteracts that. I had no discomfort at all after 4 hours in the saddle. But I'm also used to sitting on my bicycle seats, which are about as comfortable as sitting on a brake caliper.

I bought a puig sport screen and a ram mount before I picked the bike up, and installed those before my ride home. I love the look of the puig screen and found the air flow to be pleasant (although super cold). At 5'11", the air is nice and smooth and quiet at my helmet. By crouching down, it seems the turbulence is at my upper chest/shoulders, but it all feels good to me. The ram mount works well, and I like how cleanly it can be installed. My next mod is a USB charger hooked up to the oem accessory connector.

Went for another ride after work today and I'll do my first oil change tomorrow.

Here's pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
She sure looks lonely sitting in her kennel. :(

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like it was a fun trip home.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Excellent write up. Keep her clean and happy and she'll never disappoint you.:cool:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Awesome! Welcome to the club!

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome!
Be wary of some of the USB chargers, apparently they're not compatible with every phone out there. I have a Sony Xperia Z3 and it'll charge intermittently, acting as if it's getting unplugged and plugged back in over and over again. Only happens on that port, using the same cable it charges fine on all my other chargers, and it charges by buddy's LG G2 fine with the same cable.
Here's the kit I used so you can avoid it: BikeMaster USB Charger Kit with Weather-proof cover
(I wired it to the factory accessory port rather than to the battery)

Reactions: FazeNiner

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I don't recommend sitting on a brake caliper... ;)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Terrible mistake you're going to hate this bike. Oh wait opposite day was yesterday, my bad.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I too have been lurking for about 2 months now. I'm about 2 weeks from getting my FZ. The dealer I was planning on using does not have any in silver so now I have to go on the hunt. Congrats Jon! Ride safe buddy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you located vwporkchop? I found silvers everywhere ($7900otd in Indiana)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
His user info says Central Jersey. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Central Jersey.:p

·
Registered
551 Posts
I live in union county in NJ. Motorcycle mall in Belleville doesn't have any. Metuchen yamaha also doesn't have any. I'm going to try extreme machines this weekend.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Congratulations man! Nice bike:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts