Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
However when I’ve gone to fit them tonight, they wont fit. The new MT-09 doesn’t seem to have a throttle tube??! - it’s got a rotating plastic assembly that the throttle grip fits into, inside the switch assembly on the throttle side.
The 'rotating plastic assembly' is literally the definition of a throttle tube.

The Oxford grips don’t have the attachment that fits into the assembly, and because there is no throttle tube, the grips are way too big in diameter.
Uh....you're supposed to remove the stock grip from the tube first, and then put the Oxford one on the tube. Didn't you notice the part that your hand grips, and the part that contacts the bar, are two different materials?

Am I being stupid or something, or is the new MT-09 restricted to using only OEM Yamaha heated grips (with the correct throttle grip attachment)??
No, the MT is not 'restricted' to using only OEM heated grips. You can fit any grip over the stock throttle tube you want.

Is this your first motorcycle??

From the reviews I’ve read, I’d rather not pay double the price, and wind up with heated grips that aren't as good.
The Yammie ones are expensive, true, but they do get hot as hell.

·
Registered
536 Posts
LOL, no worries. I was thinkin 'the MT throttle tube looks like any other motorcycle throttle tube, so WTF is this guy on about??'

P.S. the MT has a built in heated grip controller (accessed via the dash), so you don't need to use the included Oxford one. You'll just need to replace the Oxford connectors with the Yamaha style ones and plug them in behind the headlight. There are a few threads on the forum about this.

2021 SP - Careful about the OEM grip heater -... (ignore the posts about modifying the throttle tube, that's only for non-SP heated grips on SP's)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts