Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Looking for some help…….not sure if I’m missing something blindingly obvious 😝

I have a 2022 MT-09 SP. I’ve just bought a set of Oxford Hot grips for the winter.

However when I’ve gone to fit them tonight, they wont fit. The new MT-09 doesn’t seem to have a throttle tube??! - it’s got a rotating plastic assembly that the throttle grip fits into, inside the switch assembly on the throttle side. The Oxford grips don’t have the attachment that fits into the assembly, and because there is no throttle tube, the grips are way too big in diameter.

Ive added some pics below that hopefully make better sense.

Am I being stupid or something, or is the new MT-09 restricted to using only OEM Yamaha heated grips (with the correct throttle grip attachment)?? From the reviews I’ve read, I’d rather not pay double the price, and wind up with heated grips that aren't as good.

Thanks in advance

Gareth.

Automotive tire Gas Wheel Tire Rim

Automotive tire Blue Bicycle part Rim Bicycle chain

Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Light

·
Registered
536 Posts
However when I’ve gone to fit them tonight, they wont fit. The new MT-09 doesn’t seem to have a throttle tube??! - it’s got a rotating plastic assembly that the throttle grip fits into, inside the switch assembly on the throttle side.
The 'rotating plastic assembly' is literally the definition of a throttle tube.

The Oxford grips don’t have the attachment that fits into the assembly, and because there is no throttle tube, the grips are way too big in diameter.
Uh....you're supposed to remove the stock grip from the tube first, and then put the Oxford one on the tube. Didn't you notice the part that your hand grips, and the part that contacts the bar, are two different materials?

Am I being stupid or something, or is the new MT-09 restricted to using only OEM Yamaha heated grips (with the correct throttle grip attachment)??
No, the MT is not 'restricted' to using only OEM heated grips. You can fit any grip over the stock throttle tube you want.

Is this your first motorcycle??

From the reviews I’ve read, I’d rather not pay double the price, and wind up with heated grips that aren't as good.
The Yammie ones are expensive, true, but they do get hot as hell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D’oh!!! 🤦‍♂️

So it turns out I AM being MASSIVELY stupid 😆😆😆

I should’ve realised that……

I’ll go remove the glued grip off the ‘throttle tube‘ and start again, with my brain engaged this time 😉

Not my first bike I’m embarrassed to say, but the first time I’ve fitted any heated grips (or grips) to one (that’s my excuse anyway, and I’m sticking to it)

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
LOL, no worries. I was thinkin 'the MT throttle tube looks like any other motorcycle throttle tube, so WTF is this guy on about??'

P.S. the MT has a built in heated grip controller (accessed via the dash), so you don't need to use the included Oxford one. You'll just need to replace the Oxford connectors with the Yamaha style ones and plug them in behind the headlight. There are a few threads on the forum about this.

2021 SP - Careful about the OEM grip heater -... (ignore the posts about modifying the throttle tube, that's only for non-SP heated grips on SP's)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man. Appreciate it! I’m sharp as a beach ball on a good day, so this evening - even I surprised myself with that one………😉

Ive got a quad lock phone mount with a wired USB that I’ve installed, I‘m probably gonna run the wires under the tank with that anyway, so while it’s up, rather than soldering up new connectors, I’ll just run the wires under the tank too. I don’t mind the Oxford controller, as I find the screen scroll wheel a bit of a faff to use with gloves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve seen the connectors in behind the headlight cover. Does anyone know where to get the grey 2 pin Yamaha connectors from, I’ve had a look online and eBay and can’t find anything.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Think if you search Yamaha NT-040 you'll find the connectors for the heated grips. They're 3 pin but only 2 used if I remember rightly. The USB port behind the headlight should already have the connector there. You will just need to pin it up.

Where in the UK are you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve seen the connectors in behind the headlight cover. Does anyone know where to get the grey 2 pin Yamaha connectors from, I’ve had a look online and eBay and can’t find anything.
I just installed a set of Koso Apollo heated grips on my 2014... I ordered these to plug directly into the accessory power lead. They also sell pre-made splitters to allow for two different accessories to be plugged in.

Font Screenshot Software Web page Multimedia

·
Registered
15 Posts
The MT-09 SP model has cruise control which has an usual mechanism whereby you roll the throttle tube forward to disengage the cruise control. This will likely affect compatibility with third party heated grips. The OEM ones for the non-SP model actually don't work without modification. The ones that work out of the box are actually the ones for the Tracer 9 GT. As other have mentioned, they also connect to built-in connectors behind the headlight and can be controlled on the dash.

I really don't understand why Yamaha doesn't advertise the Tracer 9 GT grips as compatible with the SP. Officially, they sell heated grips for the non-SP model but not the SP model, which seems odd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts