Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I install .85 fork spring with 7.5wt oil fork and want the best affortable rear shock, i hesitate between the penske 8900E Single Adjustable or the Ohlins S46DR1 Shock but from what i have read, the Ohlins seem to be to hard for street driving, i only want a direct application, no fit like kawasake shock, what is the best between the 2 or other brand for affortable rear shock upgrade, im 165lbs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another option is the Matris shock. I don't know where you can get them in Canada though.
Does PJ's Parts ship to Canada? I think I read that they are the only American seller of Matris Shocks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
IMO you should buy a shock that separates the function of compression and rebound damping. The Penske shock I have almost does that, although dialing up the rebound seems to increase the compression at the same time - but after about a year of use, it seems to be working better now
I think the stock spring is a 570 lb/in spring, and is about right I think

·
Vendor
1,573 Posts
Ohlins is only as stiff as the spring you ask for. ;)
There valving tends to be stiffer and not as compliant. IMO

IM looking at a zx10r shock redone through these guys. Anyone ever heard of them apparently they combine the best of. Gen 1 shock and gen 2

This is some info. Sorry copying and pasting emails so it's a bit convoluted

Not quite a stock shock. We have a Gen3 modified "Pro" shock. It's basicaly a full Gen 3 body and compression controls, but with a better Gen1 main shaft and valving stack. It also has a nitrogen pressure guage on it. Rebuilt and fresh, the cost is cheap at $290 plus shipping. Sorry, nothing completely stock or not rebuilt and filled with Ohlins fluids.
Give me an email if you want to see what they look like.

The stack is a bit more compliant at low speeds and stiffer at high shaft speeds with larger ports to help stave off cavitation internally. That price was without spring, but we have enough around here that we can make a deal for about $15 for a spring. Cant you use the spring on the FZ? Do you know the rate of the stock spring?

Looks nice. Just confirming it's the same length as a stock 08-10 shock

Yes, Gen 1,2 and 3 shocks are all the same length.

What's the purpose of the pressure gauge? To know it doesn't need service??

Yes and no. Yes that if drops too much at a certain static temp – or rises from atmospheric ingestion thru the shaft seals during harsh compression cycles – says service. No, in that shock temp can effect preload and a quick glance can give a clue to what’s happening during a track day. Hot shock on a hot day may hit 180 psi – while a cool shock on a cooler day may be around 100 psi. That delta can mean over 20 pounds of preload shift.

Any warranty with them?

One full year – racing or not.

What's the turn around time from ordering to shipped?

Less than 5 business days.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The Lako rebuild looks like a good option and price point, but they aren't building it specifically for the 09 are they? Different bikes have different suspension linkage rates, so a shock that is optimum on one bike won't be for another.

The Traxxion Dynamics zx10r rebuild is more $ but they will set it up specifically for the 09.

·
Vendor
1,573 Posts
The Lako rebuild looks like a good option and price point, but they aren't building it specifically for the 09 are they? Different bikes have different suspension linkage rates, so a shock that is optimum on one bike won't be for another.

The Traxxion Dynamics zx10r rebuild is more $ but they will set it up specifically for the 09.

Agree 100% how much is the Penske rebuild

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you mean how much is the Traxxion rebuild of a ZX shock? I didn't have it done myself, check out:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/3003-shock-came-back-last-night.html

In the first post Hawkerjet says "$475 total", ask him for a break down on that number. As I said in my previous post it's quite possible that the Lako rebuild is good for it's price especially considering that they find the ZX shock for you, but it might not be as well set up for the 09, depends on how good the rider needs the shock to be.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im on the waiting list for the Elka, it will be my first choice over the base Penske if it have ride height adjustment like Penske!

·
Registered
962 Posts

Do you just need to call them about the zx10r rebuilt shocks? I don't see them on their website. How much was it shipped? I was playing on one of my favorite twisty roads last night on my CRF250L after doing some dirt riding, and had a friend playing follow the leader. I ended up riding home and swapping to the FZ-09 only to find out that I'm not crazy - I'm faster in the twisties on my CRF with stock knobbies than I am on my FZ-09. And this is after making it better with 1kg springs and 10wt oil. I need to make a better shock more of a priority.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, even with the upgraded suspension installed it didn't feel as fast as I thought it should be. My 700+ pound BMW is faster in the tight twisties then the FZ. I think it is the front to rear balance of the FZ that makes it slower. Will need to get my new suspension tuned to know for sure, but the BMW is all factory suspension. Still love the torque of the FZ over the BMW which has 126 TQ, but has much better high speed balance, especially when coming out of the turns. Really not that concern about it, just an observation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
erm... anyone wanna chime in whether if the steel pressed swingarm is going to be a weak link (because of weight) regardless of shock upgrades or a price ceiling ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts