Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pre-order for a Puig touring screen from RevZilla that was supposed to ship at the end of Sept., but on 10/1 they sent me an email that said it would be Dec. before they would have them. The only other outfit that looked like they might have it was:
Yamaha Motorcycle Performance Parts & Accessories | Super Tenere | YZFR1 | FZ8

Their web site didn't automatically indicate whether or not an item was in stock, so I emailed them to find out. Mike Barychko answered in less than 1 Hr., but since I was busy with other things, I didn't discover his email till a couple of hours later. I then cancelled my pre-order with Revzilla and placed an order with them. They are located in Florida and by that time it was well into afternoon there on 10/2. Their price was not nearly as good as RevZilla's and I thought their shipping charge was also a little high, however it turned out to be extremely quick shipping. It arrived this afternoon in just 4 days.

I've been thinking about how to evaluate the Puig's aerodynamics. Since I didn't expect to see a big difference I thought it might be difficult to measure. I keep track of my mileage, but since it's not possible to fill the tank to exactly the same level every time and how much time is spent on highways vs in town as well as how throttle happy I am varies from tank to tank. Then I remembered the FZ's ability to display mileage. Even though in my case the bike seems to be a little optimistic, I reasoned that it should be equally optimistic both with and without a windscreen. Therefore any difference should be fairly accurate.

With that in mind, I took the bare bike to the interstate and made three runs down the same section of highway at 60, 70 and 80 mph. Then after a quick install of the Puig windscreen, I repeated the same runs with the windscreen. I made no attempt to tuck in behind the windscreen and maintained my normal posture. See attached table for the results.

The real shock was that the biggest difference occurred at the slowest speed. I would have expected just the opposite. Also, I'm not as confidant in the numbers at 80 since traffic conditions would not allow me to maintain a steady 80 for as long as I would have preferred, but it should still be in the ballpark.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just ordered the touring screen but it's actually coming from motovationusa.com out of Austin, TX, despite the fact that Puig USA is 35 min. from my house! Anyway, thanks for doing the research. Looking forward to some wind protection and increased mpg's.
Also, I have the Revzilla pre-order...guess I should cancel it too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have that screen. I get about 1 or 2 more mpg with it than before. The airflow is really smooth too, no buffeting at all. I put spacers under the mounts to raise the screen about 10mm, not sure if that helped or not.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After posting this data yesterday, I thought a lot about why the difference was greatest at slower speeds and I think I now understand what's happening. In spite of the screen's small size (relative to the frontal area of my torso) it does a pretty good job of deflecting the airflow over and around me at slow speeds, but as my speed increases the shape of the airflow behind the top edge of the screen starts to bend downward allowing more of the air blast to hit me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I was younger, this was the easiest way to get rid of buffeting, if the wind shield didn't give you enough :

https://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

I couldn't find many manufactured products when I just looked, but essentially a piece of rolled trim (think small pipe insulation sheeth) fits on the top of the shield. The rounded edge kicks the wind up just a smidge more, and gets rid of the last bit of helmet buffering.

There ought to be something out there similiar that works, that doesn't look like some cheap autoparts store plastuc door trim...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When I was younger, this was the easiest way to get rid of buffeting, if the wind shield didn't give you enough :

The rounded edge kicks the wind up just a smidge more, and gets rid of the last bit of helmet buffering.
If the reduction in buffeting is your main concern, this probably does help a little, but my main concern was the reduction in drag and a slight improvement in cruising range (with good looks being a secondary consideration). If you want to reduce buffeting above all else, I would suggest you choose one of the larger, less aerodynamic looking screens. I actually didn't mind the buffeting, without a screen, up to about 80 mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts