Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 05/06 ZX6R rear shock and I'm wondering if the shock is worth rebuilding or if I'd be better off looking for another shock, ZX10/GSX/ZX6RR shock? Kind of caught in between, I had a 6RR shock but the clevis was bent and I sent it back. Can't find any more on ebay either, I suspect most of you early adopters scoffed them up :). So I'm looking for some experienced advice on this, I ride semi aggressive 195lbs with gear, mix of commuting and play but I don't turn the streets into a race track. Just looking for a solid shock to keep the rear on the ground as much as possible (live in the North east and less than quality roads most of time) and don't have much experience in the shock department.

Thanks for any input.

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it was me and costs were close I would just get the single adjustable Penske from stolte or wherever. However if the shock isn't much to rebuild, and it's all you need, by all means go that way. I would just say be honest with yourself on what you need vs what you want, and the cost/gain of each side.

Max

·
Registered
555 Posts
I went with the base Penske, could not be happier with the result. I too dont ride too aggressively, but like to hit some twisties when they appear in front of me with gusto. And this shock has improved the feel of the bike twofold.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was me and costs were close I would just get the single adjustable Penske from stolte or wherever. However if the shock isn't much to rebuild, and it's all you need, by all means go that way. I would just say be honest with yourself on what you need vs what you want, and the cost/gain of each side.

Max
Yeah thanks, I'm trying to decide if rebuilding that shock for ~300 is worth it, plus it's a little longer and it has the reservoir that may need to be 'adjusted' to fit.

I went with the base Penske, could not be happier with the result. I too dont ride too aggressively, but like to hit some twisties when they appear in front of me with gusto. And this shock has improved the feel of the bike twofold.
Sounds like we ride similarly, did you end up doing anything with the front yet?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah thanks, I'm trying to decide if rebuilding that shock for ~300 is worth it, plus it's a little longer and it has the reservoir that may need to be 'adjusted' to fit.
Just a word of caution on that. The longer shock can be good or bad. From my experience on this bike, extending the rear shock 3mm more than stock caused the bike to turn in extremely fast and feel very twitchy. Take that down to about 1.5mm longer than stock and it went away and the bike feels great. So the length can be really touchy, it just depends on your taste and how you want it to be.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, I didn't realize that little difference would have that impact. I was reading another thread and there was mention of different lengths causing a problem but I assumed they are 'much' longer than that. How did you take it down to 1.5mm?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Penske so it is fully adjustable, just loosen a jam nut and turn the shock in. It may be that I was just really sensitive to the increase, but it really made a difference in feel for me. I mean night and day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.