Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to buy my first bike for a while and decided on the fz-09. Thing is I've never bought a bike before and need help on buying one from a dealer, prefer to not get ripped off haha.
I'm 19 and don't have any credit history. Know that doesn't give me much bargaining power but want to see if I can get a decent price.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You don't say if you have had any experience riding, but if this is truly your first motorcycle, my advice would be to buy something different, preferably used and smaller displacement.

look on craigslist, get something under 500 cc and ride it for a while. The good news is, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it in 6-12 months, and you'll have that much more experience. Plus, if you drop it, it's not a brand new shiny bike with a lien and high insurance rates.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Good luck. You never mention riding experience. Never having a bike before immediately makes me think the FZ-09 would be too much, too soon. The FZ can be a handful for very experienced, seasoned riders. I know that wasn't what you were asking for, but I think it would be very wise to be more conservative with your first bike.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You don't say if you have had any experience riding, but if this is truly your first motorcycle, my advice would be to buy something different, preferably used and smaller displacement.

look on craigslist, get something under 500 cc and ride it for a while. The good news is, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it in 6-12 months, and you'll have that much more experience. Plus, if you drop it, it's not a brand new shiny bike with a lien and high insurance rates.

Could not agree more. (But to answer your question regarding price, I ended up paying $8,550 OTD in Laurel, MD right next to D.C.)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've been wanting to buy my first bike for a while and decided on the fz-09. Thing is I've never bought a bike before and need help on buying one from a dealer, prefer to not get ripped off haha.
I'm 19 and don't have any credit history. Know that doesn't give me much bargaining power but want to see if I can get a decent price.
With no credit history, you will need a co-signer. The deal will depend on the co-signer's credit score.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you don't have any previous riding experience, I would check out an FZ-07 as your first bike instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My advice would be to get pre-approved before you show up to a dealership, also factor in insurance. Email local dealerships and just ask them for an out the door price (shop around) I paid $8500 in Austin TX, but my local dealership in Killeen TX wanted $9800. The FZ-09 is actually my first owned bike. One thing my motorcycle mentor always preached to me was, never push the bike further then your experiance level. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nineteen with no previous history of motorcycle ownership and financing. Insurance will be very high and will be full coverage. Check out the rates before buying the bike. It could be a deal breaker. I agree, the FZ09 is too much bike for a first one. Get a used 400cc-650cc bike and if you want to move up after awhile you won't be losing much when you sell it. SVs are great bikes.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks for the replies everyone. I do believe its a bit too much but was planning on driving it slow in b mode till I got some good experience. But my biggest concern is falling off and messing it up.
What's a good older used bike to get as my first? Want to spend less than 3k on one and will upgrade after about 6 months to the 09

·
Registered
221 Posts
okay thanks for the replies everyone. I do believe its a bit too much but was planning on driving it slow in b mode till i got some good experience. But my biggest concern is falling off and messing it up.
What's a good older used bike to get as my first? Want to spend less than 3k on one and will upgrade after about 6 months to the 09
sv650

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said. The insurance company will rake you over the coals at your age. I suggest a dual sports bike learning on the dirt hurts less and costs less.
I was going to say, if you don't have a lot of experience, a DRZ400SM can be a very forgiving bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tri-City in WVA has them for $7495 OTD and you pay sales tax, tag and title in our locality. For me that was $425, so 7920 total.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Old gen ninja 250. Just stay off the freeway. Best bang for the buck since they don't really depreciate. SV doesn't lose a lot of value either, but I still think anything over 500cc is a bit much for a beginner. That's my 0.02 however some people start on 600s and lots of other bikes and do just fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not that my .02 matters but there is a reason so many people are telling you this is not a beginner's bike. I've been on the Suzuki 650 and unless you are over 6 feet tall it's more than plenty.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My 2.5 cents is to buy a beater bike 450-500cc, $1000-1500. Learn on it, crash it, drop it, ding it, doing all the stupid little mistakes we all make when learning. Plus it will give you a chance to learn maintenance and upkeep. Then when you feel comfortable make the leap to something you now know how to maintain and are confident in riding.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I NEVER advise a new rider to buy a new bike.

Your budget for your first bike is:
1) determine how much cash you can wad up in a pile and burn and not be totally heart broken and destitute as a result.
2) Subtract about $600 from the amount in #1 and go buy a helmet ($200), boots ($150), riding jacket ($150) and decent gloves ($100)
3) Get insurance quotes for a years worth of liability and uninsured motorist coverage and deduct that amount from #1
4) Find out how much the local basic rider's traning costs and deduct that from #1 and then go take the class.
5) With what is left in #1, go find the cleanest looking, smoothest running bike, take a buddy that has been riding streetbikes for several years with you and have him evaluate the bike. If it seems ok, buy it and ride it for 6 months to a year. 250/300 Ninjas are ideal for this. SV650, Ninja 650 and Ninja 500s are also ideal

6) if the bike is not destroyed after you rode it for 6 months or so, clean it up, sell it for about what you paid for it and go buy something else, maybe the FZ09 will be the bike you want then, maybe not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 2.5 cents is to buy a beater bike 450-500cc, $1000-1500. Learn on it, crash it, drop it, ding it, doing all the stupid little mistakes we all make when learning. Plus it will give you a chance to learn maintenance and upkeep. Then when you feel comfortable make the leap to something you now know how to maintain and are confident in riding.
That's what I'm looking into. Could use some suggestions though.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That's what I'm looking into. Could use some suggestions though.
Japanese, one or two cylinders to keep width, weight, power and maintenance down, have a competent shop do a pre-purchase inspection, fewer previous owners the better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts