Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I just rode in nw pennsylvania and front end was totally squirrelly and bike felt unstable
Rode it yesterday was perfect
Trailered down today did not over crank straps.
I am 190 with gear and had it at 1 turn large bolt 1 turn of damping screw
Now suspension is like pogo stick
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
400 Posts
When you say one turn... From full IN or OUT? You are almost full stiff preload?

You will need stiffer springs either way most likely. Either go all out and get the forks completely reworked, or go with some Hyprerpro progressive springs or something of the sort.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually both screws were fully out!
Tightened it to two rings showing( there were 5)
Going to test

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
do you even know what you are adjusting?

the large hex on both forks is the spring preload.

The smaller screw adjust on the right fork adjusts the rebound = how fast the fork extends after hitting a bump.

If your preload on the rear shock is too soft then it will cause the front to be squirrelly as well.

At 190 you need new fork springs and lots more compression and rebound damping in the forks and the shock than is available in stock form.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Actually both screws were fully out!
Tightened it to two rings showing( there were 5)
Going to test
Did the bike come from the dealer like this or did you or someone make adjustments to it for it to be like that?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its probably that your riding on different types of roads and pavement, when I set up suspension I always use a road that is like the ones I ride the most on, I always start with full soft and ride a section of road then I will go one turn of preload and do the same road when I get the preload set I do the same thing with the rebound going 1/2 turn at a time. I know this takes some time but going little changes at a time usually works out real good for me and doing it on the same road is a must. to bad this bike doesn't have compression I think it would help alot. RR:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Its probably that your riding on different types of roads and pavement, when I set up suspension I always use a road that is like the ones I ride the most on, I always start with full soft and ride a section of road then I will go one turn of preload and do the same road when I get the preload set I do the same thing with the rebound going 1/2 turn at a time. I know this takes some time but going little changes at a time usually works out real good for me and doing it on the same road is a must. to bad this bike doesn't have compression I think it would help alot. RR:cool:
That seems like a very involved way to do it. Get the front and rear sag set (in your garage), then the only thing left to do is try to tweak on the rebound adjustment, if you are familiar with how to do it.

Reactions: jasonk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Your right Vern it does take time but I'am old school and you get to ride your favorite roads while you do it. To many years of dirt bikes I guess. RR:cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyones input. For the record I have no idea how the hex bolts could havE been completely at the softest setting.
I'll post back when I figure it out.
While the suspension is not perfect it has served me well so far. New stoltec front and rear in winter for sure

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Your right Vern it does take time but I'am old school and you get to ride your favorite roads while you do it. To many years of dirt bikes I guess. RR:cool:
We've got something in common........you're old "School".........and I'm just "Old"! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts