Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am taking a small road trip this weekend, and I'd like to bring some spare fuel with me somehow. I don't have saddle bags, is there any device or trick that you know of? A bag in particular that can hold a cannister or container of fuel?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Wear a backpack or tank bag and go buy a couple of MSR Fuel bottles, old dirtbikers trick. They screw tight and work great. They come in various sizes up to 1 liter. I take em dirtbiking up high in the mountains, wipe out hardcore all the time and have never had one leak.

Look here

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good call, I will definitely pick some of those up

I worry about carrying them in a backpack if I came off a bit, it's going to be some pretty serious highway riding, I guess you can only be so risk adverse though

Thanks for the advice!

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Hah... I just borrowed a MSR bottle with an enclosure to mock up where I will be mounting one or two of these.

Basically this:

Plus this:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Two bottles, one water, one gas, no extra weight on my back. Yosh plate frame bracket has two small holes on either side, just big enough for the short rubber bungee hooks. 1300 miles like this, and they don't budge. I've also used a tail bag.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use the Primus bottles when offroad, not sure how much street riding would shake them up but if overfilled past the full line they do build up pressure. Had mine blow gas and leak a few times when removing the cap, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Gas expands when heated in containers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This may be a very stupid question, so I apologize in advance. I'm assuming I can't just use an aluminium water bottle with one of those plastic caps?

Water bottle Cylinder Bottle Vacuum flask Drinkware

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gas expands when heated in containers.
It's important to leave some room at the top any time you fill up a tank. Gas comes out of the pump at a much cooler temp than the atmosphere because the storage tank is underground. I've seen a friend fill his tank while his bike was on a trailer, so he wouldn't have to fill it at the end of the trip. Fuel expanded and was dripping all over the place on arrival. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This may be a very stupid question, so I apologize in advance. I'm assuming I can't just use an aluminium water bottle with one of those plastic caps?

View attachment 5221
I use them on my dirt bikes, I have made tubes out of 80mm storm water pipe and mounted them to my frame, here in OZ they only cost about $4 each and some of mine are over 5 years old, I have never had one leak and they don't leave a smell so they can be packed in a bag.

My plan for the 09 is a fuel bladder in my tank bag. Fuel Bladders > Motor Bike | Liquid Containment Bladders & Liners ? Fuel, Water, Petrol, Diesel, Water Storage

·
Registered
149 Posts

View attachment 5221
I have done it but I needed to replace the "O" ring on the cap because it wasn't fuel proof.
I got 2 red bottles for $1 each at one of the dollar stores and the "O" rings I had in a kit in the garage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts