Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hell of a time finding a zx6rr shock, so for now I'm going to adjust the stock suspension. I dont know what is involved here, or how difficult it is. Anybody know of any threads or video guides on doing this? IDK how the bike comes setup, but i'm 225-230 geared, which i hear people my weight are setting the bike to the stiffest setting.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
For the rear shock - under your seat is a tool set. There should be a sliver handle and a claw like wrench in the shape of a C. On your rear shock you should see grooves in the shock - take the c shape wrench and place the tip in one of the grooves of your rear shock and turn - do not max out the shock all the way in the back - leave 1 or 2 notches before the end - check your bike manual on which direction to turn to make it stiffer i believe it's clockwise.

For dampening - there is a flat head screw in towards the middle of the bike (should be in your service manual) that you can max out as well by turning the screw in the right direction.

For the front fork you need a socket set - screw both adjustments IN. Same deal for dampening on the right fork - adjust the flat head screw to +.

I'm a similar weight geared - it won't help you much but it will be better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 to Beck's advise above, and here is a copy of the sheets from the owners manual (Canadian Version) which should be the same. I find a ratchet wrench works great for adjusting the fork preload. It also helps to have a measuring caliper to check the preload settings for both forks, even a cheap set of $5 plastic calipers works just fine.

Plastic Caliper
Calipers Tool Measuring instrument

Pages from Owners Manual
Text Font Document Line art Illustration

Text Font Line Illustration

Text Font Document Paper Line art

And a couple of video's I have come across with some info., there might be better ones on youtube.

Reactions: dalemeister

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks a lot guys, it's raining today here at the shop so I wont have much to do. I should have all the tools needed laying around here :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It should be very easy but again, don't expect a drastic improvement. Stiffening that rear end with a different shock completely transforms the bike (as I'm sure you've already read)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I couldn't find a used ZX6RR shock either. People would buy them quicker than I could type in "ebay.com". One of the members on the forum sold me a slightly modified Ohlins ZX-10 shock that has worked out amazingly well. Highly recommend either a ZX10 or GSXR1000 shock, although I'm not sure exactly which years fit.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I adjusted my suspension at 150 miles and it was a big improvement for me. At 6'1" I'm 180 pounds with all my gear and a full backpack. I put Ohlins suspension on my last bike and it was a huge improvement. I've used RaceTech and been really happy with it as well. Not sure what direction I'll go with the 09.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't find a used ZX6RR shock either. People would buy them quicker than I could type in "ebay.com". One of the members on the forum sold me a slightly modified Ohlins ZX-10 shock that has worked out amazingly well. Highly recommend either a ZX10 or GSXR1000 shock, although I'm not sure exactly which years fit.
I read somewhere not to get the zx10r shock if you weigh what I do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an Ohlins rear on my bike. Id be more than happy to let you take it for a spin. It was sprung for my weight at the time I was 225. Now 215 so i took some preload out. Makes worlds of difference.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
654 Posts
im 250lbs without gear, im sure its not as good as aftermarket suspension, but setting the stock suspension to max preload and stiffest/slowest dampening made a huge difference from how it was set up on the show room floor. once you do that you will discover the end that really needs attention is the forks not the shock. I plan to give thicker fork oil a shot but have not done so yet.

by the way the how to adjust your suspension video with the guy that starts out showing his new gear has it backwards, the "hard" setting is the slowest dampening not the fastest, I would definitely not be taking any bike set up advice from that guy

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You don't want to max the preload on the front either or you will loose some travel to bottom. The small adjuster is for rebound, not dampening. Think fast and slow. Left (out) fast, right (in) slow. You don't want to go too slow, or the fork will pack and bounce off of bumps, not absorb them. Stiffer springs and heavier oil in the forks is the cheapest and a must if you weigh over 165 lbs. with gear on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
my set up is far from perfect, but its the best I have found that didn't include spending money. my sv has nothing factory left in its suspension except the Suzuki fork tubes and has been set up for my weight, so I completely get aftermarket suspension transforming a bike. just pointing out that as bad as the factory fz09 suspension is, playing with its settings both preload and rebound dampening is free and there is room for improvement there from how they left the factory

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The stock forks are dangerous at all settings. $70 for springs and $15 for oil is .001 the cost of the bike itself.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would agree with that, im happy with the results with the shock, the forks no longer bottom out the way I have them but they still dive. I was ready to swap the oil (done it a bunch on normal forks) and read the how to on here for USD forks, realized that is a bigger project than I originally anticipated on this bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock forks are dangerous at all settings. $70 for springs and $15 for oil is .001 the cost of the bike itself.
When i first got the bike I wasn't sure what people meant by this. After taking it out last weekend and really ripping through the mountains, man is it true. I was thinking about the elka shock but it seems pretty expensive, and I'm not sure which option (1,2, or 3) would be best, 1 is attractive due to price. As far as forks go I don't even know where to begin, I think I need to do some research on what they actually do and how they work so I can make an educated decision. Now that I have the new handlebars though, i really feel the forks need some love.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When i first got the bike I wasn't sure what people meant by this. After taking it out last weekend and really ripping through the mountains, man is it true. I was thinking about the elka shock but it seems pretty expensive, and I'm not sure which option (1,2, or 3) would be best, 1 is attractive due to price. As far as forks go I don't even know where to begin, I think I need to do some research on what they actually do and how they work so I can make an educated decision. Now that I have the new handlebars though, i really feel the forks need some love.
Elka makes awesome stuff. If you live in the US you'll pay a little less than the listed pricing also. Elka will be finding its way onto my FZ in the future, likely before I even do the exhaust.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Dangerous? If you're convinced, maybe you should seek a lawsuit against Yamaha for endangering the life of everyone who buys an FZ 09. If you have something to substantiate this claim it's money in your pocket. Go get 'em!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Dangerous? If you're convinced, maybe you should seek a lawsuit against Yamaha for endangering the life of everyone who buys an FZ 09. If you have something to substantiate this claim it's money in your pocket. Go get 'em!
I have 44 years of racing and riding experience. The chassis unsettles when you hit a bump leaned over in a turn. This can apply to a quick avoidance maneuver. Also, under hard braking, the dive is to the point that the forks are sketchy if you hit a bump or an object. I have never owned a bike as mushy and unpredictable as this one was set up from the factory. It would not hold a line in a corner. I knew the first day that I owned it that I needed to upgrade my suspension if I was going to keep it. Yamaha knew it when they released the FJ with revised suspension.

Yamaha should have never released the bike with the fueling and suspension issues. With a motor this stout, they had a responsibility to release it in a better state than they did.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts