Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, who's found one that's identical to the brake lever?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I haven't found a matching adjustable clutch lever, but I did find these and they work great for the price. A set of these might be cheaper than the cost for one adjustable matching clutch lever.

Short Lever Set - $46.64 I have a set of these and they work great.
SHORTY Levers Brake Clutch Set YAMAHA YZF/R1/R6/FZ/FJR/XJ/MT/R6S/V-Max/Supertenere/FZ09, 5 Color Options - Mad Hornets
mad-hornet-short.JPG

Extendible Lever Set - $81.63
Adjustable Extendable Brake & Clutch Levers ALL Yamaha YZF/R1/R6/FZ/FJR/XJ/MT/R6S/V-Max/Supertenere, 5 Color Options - Mad Hornets
mad-hornet-extendable.JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are these hornets holding up after a years worth of abuse?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
this is debated about as much as tire pressure, oil change frequency, when to switch to synthetic and ATGATT.

I have shorty pazzo levers that are fully adjustable and they are awesome - I have nothing against anyone who spends money on levers from China (i.e. madhornets) but i personally would spring for Pazzos/CRG/ASV or similar well respectful company in this space.

My personal take is that for controls and the like - i don't skimp - because one day it could be the reason between if i live or die in an emergency situation.

Guys are selling used levers from time to time (that's how i scored my pazzos) - it's a good alternative if you can wait it out.

With that being said - regardless of brand - now that i have shorties that are fully adjustable for both levers - having never had them before - i will never use stock levers again.

The stock brake lever isn't exactly adjustable - its resting position is always the same - it just engages at a different point in pulling the lever with those various number settings.

After market levers can physically move the lever closer to your bars which was huge for me coming from a mountain bike set up that always had my levers easily within 2 fingers reach at any time.

Reactions: DTM74

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
When I looked at the Mad Hornet levers, the short set only cost $39.99 with free shipping, at the time.

mh-levers.JPG

So I figured they were worth trying for that price.

They did take quite a while to finally show up, since they do bulk shipments to North America. They couldn't give me an exact location status while they were in transit. All they could say was "yes they were shipped" and "yes they were received in Canada". But no details for where my order was sitting at???

I have to admit I was quit impressed with the fit and finish of the levers when they showed up. Unfortunately, I did order them quite late in the season and wasn't able to do a test ride before the snow started. I did install them and they fit great and seem to work great as well. I will definitely report how they work when I can get the 09 back on the road, but that is a few months away for now.

Originally I was going to try out a set of CRG Roll-A-Click Spectrum Levers, in a short lever version. They sell for $175.95 US for a set of two. That was until I read a couple of good reviews on the Mad Hornets and saw the price.

http://www.motostarz.com/filter-by-...rg-roll-a-click-spectrum-levers-set-of-2.html
crg-levers.JPG

And like Beck says, if you can find a good set of used ones, that's a great way to go as well.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Mad Hornets are good kit. Nothing too technical about an aluminum lever. A lot of ”expensive” brands are imported from the far east too. Price doesn't always equal quality. You will be pleased.

My last set of ASV C5 levers had a terrible binding issue, that was never resolved by ASV. $200 levers, that after three months, were still unsafe and unuseable.

In comparison, the Mad Hornets are much safer, because they don't bind in the perch.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mad Hornets are good kit. Nothing too technical about an aluminum lever. Most ”expensive” brands are imported from the far east too. Price doesn't always equal quality. You will be pleased.
Not sure what brands you are talking about but:

Pazzo levers are designed and manufactured in Canada
CRG & ASV+ levers are designed and manufactured in US (California)

Manufacturing standards in China are not subject to any type of US law - everyone's experience may vary in terms of quality. You could argue that a mess up at a US plan can happen as well - that's true.

You don't have to look to far to see that they can lie and get away with it:

Here is a "DOT certified" helmet from a China company - 1:06 is where it gets interesting..

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Don't worry Beck, I know exactly what you mean when it comes to Made in China products. I typically avoid 99.999% of them and prefer to by local or North American products. The Mad Hornets are my 0.001% Made in China purchase thus far for any of my bikes over the years. There are a few people on here that said the Mad Hornets worked good, which is the only reason I decided to give them a try.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Don't worry Beck, I know exactly what you mean when it comes to Made in China products. I typically avoid 99.999% of them and prefer to by local or North American products. The Mad Hornets are my 0.001% Made in China purchase thus far for any of my bikes over the years. There are a few people on here that said the Mad Hornets worked good, which is the only reason I decided to give them a try.
i hear you, and again not knocking anyone who has purchased them - just throwing my 2 cents.

To Fizzer's points - there are obviously cases where even homeland brands produce crap - there's no denying that - you would hope that they have better customer service than over seas where you're basically just out the cash but who knows.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
ASV contends that the levers were fine. They blamed the perch. Bought a new perch, at my expense. Still binding. Sent back lever, at my expense.

The lever measured to their spec.supposedly, so they were finished with the transaction. That soured me on their product and service.

Alvin was less than helpful.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
ASV contends that the levers were fine. They blamed the perch. Bought a new perch, at my expense. Still binding. Sent back lever, at my expense.

The lever measured to their spec.supposedly, so they were finished with the transaction. That soured me on their product and service.

Alvin was less than helpful.
that experience would do it for me as well - bummer particularly because you paid so much

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
$200... For a lever. Thought it would be cool. Spent literally 3 months going back and forth. Stupid.

The Chinese are not all that. But at their price point, they are hard to overlook. I spent more on shipping levers around, and buying perches, than I paid for my current levers.

At that same time, I ordered an LED tail light from China on EBAY. $20. I decided I wanted a plug and play option, which Comp Werks sold for like $80.

Guess what. I received the Comp Werks light, it was not plug and play, in fact it was IDENTICAL to the Chinese Ebay light. Same mould markings, packaging, wire markings... It was the SAME LIGHT, but resold at 4x the price. Comp Werks stated that they were told it came with OEM connectors and would revise their site immediately. 3 years later, they have not.

US companies use their position as US companies to push Chinese products to consumers, at inflated prices, because we think they are doing us a favor. Made in the US, is a very loose term. Assembled here.perhaps. Designed here, maybe... A good many companies stretch the truth. So, I no longer buy from Comp Werks either. Its Chinese parts, at 4x the price.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got/had a few different levers from US, Italian and Chinese manufacturers.

FP racing on the MT

TWM on the Ape.

CRG and Brembo on the R1

And 3 lots of M-Factory (chinese) on the FZ1, until the anodising stopped fading instantly.

All of them have performed faultlessly, apart from the anodising on the M-Factory and CRG levers. My 01 R1 ones went purple pretty quickly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been using the Asian levers on all my bikes the last 10 years. For the price they work just fine, adjustable. The last set I paid $50 for shipped and they look as good as the CRG (direct copy). Seems levers tend to break most of time during a crash. Have broken factory and Asian levers (some of the bikes where European) from time to time. Much easier to paid $50 for brand new set than $150 plus; which would have broken just as easily.

The helmet comparison was very interesting. At least I do buy the name brands for head and not the knock-offs. Was really surprised when I was in Florida this week and notice the number of bikers without helmets. Personally, I decided to start wearing a helmet/neck brace for my offroading starting next Spring. My neck is not as strong as it was any longer.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I believe that I was the first to find and order the Mad Hornets. I believe that they will hold up long after I tire of the bike. I am old enough to remember when all Japanese bikes had levers that would crumble when you tried to straighten them out. Big deal, metallurgy has improved dramatically since 1971. Long clutch lever and short brake lever here.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm happy with my Mad Hornets and also with my Arai helmet. Some items I go low dollar on and some not.

Doug, back in the day remember those black plastic (nylon?) hand levers? That's what I used on my play dirt bikes, took a lot more beating than the stockers lol.

My post rate has gone way down, you'll pass me this winter.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'm happy with my Mad Hornets and also with my Arai helmet. Some items I go low dollar on and some not.

Doug, back in the day remember those black plastic (nylon?) hand levers? That's what I used on my play dirt bikes, took a lot more beating than the stockers lol.

My post rate has gone way down, you'll pass me this winter.
We used the plastic levers too, and I remember snapping one off pulling in the clutch in a hare scrambles race on a freezing snowy day. It was so cold that it was brittle.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
....US companies use their position as US companies to push Chinese products to consumers, at inflated prices, because we think they are doing us a favour.....
We can all describe this in one word "Walmart".

The best way to get more profit on a good designed product is get it made in Asia for cheap. Unfortunately, cheap = crappy most of the time. How many times have we seen a great new product turn into a piece of crap when it starts to be "Made in China". So many name brand items are now going over sea's and the quality just isn't there anymore.

There are some good quality items made in China, but they are hard to fine. Hopefully the Mad Hornet levers are one of the good ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts