Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if its possible to add ABS brake system on a bike that has no ABS from stock?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Anything is possible with the right amount of money.
so yes, its possible, but it certainly wont be easy and its certainly not practical

·
Registered
122 Posts
Possible? Yes. Practical? Hell no. Way too costly & difficult. Besides, we already have ABS; it's between your ears & in your right hand.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I was actually thinking of this on the commute in...single passenger in a truck decided he wanted to take advantage of the carpool lane at the last minute...had to get on the brakes hard in the rain....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep reading that it would be difficult. Why would this be difficult if the European version has ABS. Is there that much of a difference between the MT-09 and the FZ-09?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I keep reading that it would be difficult. Why would this be difficult if the European version has ABS. Is there that much of a difference between the MT-09 and the FZ-09?
You would need lots of sensors and actuators and assorted wiring and plumbing not present on your non ABS fz09.

The smartest, simplest, cheapest and most reliable way to do it is to sell your nonABS fz09 and buy an fz09 with factory ABS.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was actually thinking of this on the commute in...single passenger in a truck decided he wanted to take advantage of the carpool lane at the last minute...had to get on the brakes hard in the rain....
Hope that episode pointed out you need to practice your braking skills, as opposed to merely wishing you had ABS.

Reactions: dobervol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope that episode pointed out you need to practice your braking skills, as opposed to merely wishing you had ABS.
...and just like practicing swerving to the "escape" area to avoid target fixation on the problem, it takes a TON of practice, over and over. You are re-wiring your brain, essentially, to look away from what's wrong, which is the knee-jerk reaction. In braking, most of us have a tendency to instinctively tromp the right foot, b/c that's what we'd do in a car, and the idea here is to throw the weight forward with the rear so you can really snatch and grab HARD with the right hand.

Occasionally, I still catch myself locking up the rear wheel before I can really get hard on the front, b/c I don't even realize how quick and strong I'm hitting the rear instinctively, until after it happens. I don't know of anything else more important on a bike than braking skills. Lots of skills can potentially save your bacon while on a bike, but braking is maybe more likely to be the skill that does.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Well I always need to practice braking skills...even more so in wet conditions as I rarely ride in the rain. I'm happy I did not lock either front or back wheel stopping fairly quickly.

I've never had ABS on bikes so...it may be nice (merely wishing)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've actually got the MT09 with ABS.
This is my first bike with ABS, and I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

Since, like all riders, I try to avoid locking my wheel it hardly ever kicks in. But ever so rarely it does, just for a split second.
Obviously the rear locks more often, under hard braking, which is expected and quite normal. Often on my previous bikes I'd get a little rear lock as the weight us transfered to the front of the bike.
But once or twice the front ABS kicked in, e.g. when I was riding in a slippery underground carpark. IMO its quite reassuring to feel that you have a small "backup" mechanism, to help you avoid front end slide...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It would be truer to say that in Europe there is an ABS version as well as the standard bike.

The ABS requires sensors, an ECU, and the hydraulic unit along with extra hoses and a different wiring harness too.

As said above - possible, yes. Practical? You could probably buy a second, cheap commuter bike for the same money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts