Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post to the FZ-09 forum. I wanted to contribute my own experience/instructions and mistakes I made for anybody hoping to add a USB power socket to their FZ-09. I wanted to be able to use my smart phone as my GPS device on longer trips and also a communication device once I get a helmet with a bluetooth communicator installed. Since the battery will drain quickly with GPS and a bright screen on full time, I wanted it to have a power source for it.

I purchased the Burnsmoto USB-to-bare-wire weatherproof power socket for $26 from their site (I'll include all links below) and then purchased the 2 pin MT .090-2.3mm Male and Female locking connector from Cycle Terminal for about $5. Turns out, I really only needed the Male connector, which you can buy separately for about $3.

I actually used the plastic Male connector cap that comes with the FZ-09 so I really only used the metal pieces that ship with the package from Cycle Terminal.

It took me a while to figure out how to open the panel on the right side just forward of the gas tank to get access to the auxiliary power cable that Yamaha includes on the bike. The panel that you remove on the right side is part of the fake air intake just behind the forks. You just remove one allen screw on the side of this black plastic piece and then on the back (in the area just behind the steering fork), you will remove two plastic pins (I don't know their technical name - I will provide a picture below).

plasticspike.jpg

You do this by taking your allen wrench or a screw driver and pushing the center part of these plastic pins in slightly until it "unlocks" it. Then you gently lift these pins out. Then, you just pull the plastic cover off. It will require a bit of effort because at this point, there is a plastic anchor in this plastic cover that goes through a rubber hole on the bike to hold it in place.

Once this plastic cover is off, it should be pretty obvious where the auxiliary power connector is. Remove the male connector cap from it since you will be attaching it to the end of the USB power socket.

The USB power socket comes with wires that are already nicely cut and soldered into a clean solid end. You will take the metal male connector pieces from Cycle Terminal and crimp them onto the ends of the bare wire of the USB power socket. Before doing this, however, you will want to push the little rubber pieces that they provide over the end of the wire. It should naturally stop where the rubber insulation of the wire begins. These rubber pieces help hold the wire in place when you plug it into the little cylinders of the male connector cap from the Yamaha. You should be able to figure out which wire (ground vs. hot) goes into which side of the male connector cap. Once you figure it out, slide them into the end of the cap and the rubber pieces will hold it into place. I still wrapped it with a bit of electrical tape to ensure they wouldn't fall out.

This was the easy part. The hard part came from the fact that I wanted to mount the USB power socket into the black plastic piece that is attached to the very front of the gas tank. You can see how I placed them in the pictures that I provide below. I had to cut a hole into the plastic piece that was roughly the size of the USB power socket. I did this by using a utility knife. I actually helped the process along by using a Dremel tool with a carbon fiber disk to score it a little first (on the inside that is never seen). Then I just dug down through with the utility knife until I cut out a square hole big enough to fit the USB power socket head through. That part was tricky to keep the hole centered where I wanted it to be on the plastic plate.

topside.jpg

Now for the caution: The hole that I cut was just a little too far forward (closer to the gas tank). The problem with this is that, when you have the USB power socket mounted, it points in at an angle toward the tank. There is a black plastic piece attached to the gas tank that it will touch if it is too close. As I said, I was just barely too far forward. It still allowed me to reattach the plastic piece which now contains my USB power socket but I had to really press hard to get the locking pins to go in again. Had it been another millimeter closer, I'd have been screwed. So, look at my photos to see how close you should not get when you cut your own hole. Move yours back a millimeter or two (in the direction of the handlebars). You don't want to move it too far back otherwise the end of your smart phone's USB cable might be too close to the handlebars to plug in properly.

Once I inserted the USB power socket into the hole that I cut out, I used two part epoxy to cement it into place and to seal it off.

backside.jpg

I made the size of the square hole that I cut very close to the size of the USB socket so that it fit in really tight. So even if I hadn't used epoxy, it would have never fallen out. So be sure not to cut the hole too large to begin with. Just keep trying to fit it in and then keep trimming more away from the hole in little increments until it finally fits.

When it is all put together and the wires are plugged in and hidden away, everything looks really neat and almost like it came from the factory that way. I plan to use the RAM X-grip to hold my smart phone but all of the pieces haven't arrived yet or I would have included those in the photos. Hopefully this will help anybody who would also like to add a USB power socket to their FZ-09 and have it look nice and clean. I know it can be difficult reading somebody's instructions since there is always one little step they might have missed that makes it confusing for anybody reading this. Good luck. The links to buy what you need are right below if you would like to use the same places I did.

BurnsMoto - BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - 2.1 Amp USB Charger with optional SAE to USB
Motorcycle MT .090 - Connector and Terminals

tankplate.jpg

capopen.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome and thanks. Nice install and instructions/pics. Its very clean.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I just ordered one of those yesterday. Thats a good location, thanks and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have to get motivated and do this. Great post and welcome.

Done any other mods so far?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the friendly welcomes. This is my first mod to the bike since I've only owned it for a little over two weeks. I would have included more pictures of the installation process but it only occurred to me to take pics and write it up on here after I was finished with much of the work.

The only other mods I have planned are to paint my helmet the exact color of that beautiful metallic orange tank and then put the black and silver racing stripes down the center to match (you never see those racing stripes in the photos of the orange FZ-09 on Yamaha's site - it was a happy surprise when it arrived!).

Does anybody know what that exact paint lot would be for the orange? I've checked colorrite.com but they do not yet have that orange color listed for the niner. Once I figure that out, I also want to paint those two plastic pieces on either side of the seat (similar to the red niner) that have the FZ-09 decals on them. I may also have the fenders painted to match the tank but I want to think about it first and maybe Photoshop a mock-up to see if I like the look. It might be too much orange at that point but I definitely want to paint those pieces beneath the sides of the seat. And when I say "I want to paint" I really mean I want a professional to paint it :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is one more photo of the USB power socket from the front (I could only upload 5 pics in my original post). This might help you get a better idea of where to place it on the plastic plate in front of the tank. Again, I would suggest cutting the square hole for the socket a little farther away from the tank than where I cut it. Since it sits on that 45 degree angle of the plastic piece I should probably be saying "move it down a little" which is the equivalent of moving it farther from the tank.

Also, I mentioned in my post above that the tank has a black and silver racing stripe on it (the black stripe is maybe 2-3 inches thick and the silver stripe to the left of it is maybe a quarter inch thick), but it's not visible in any of my pictures. That's because the stripes end at the gas cap.

tankfront.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome to the community!

Clean job on the mounting! I dig it. I decided to go with Niner's mounting on the outside of that piece. I will be installing a pushbutton switch as well and for that I will drill a hole and make it flush.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
whats the push button going to do?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well, I am not a fan of hard wiring it on a body piece that I cannot remove and place on my workbench. I mounted mine on the side of the frame with outdoor double sided mounting tape. I have done it on other bikes with no problems. You just have to make sure that you have the clearance.

usb.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I am not a fan of hard wiring it on a body piece that I cannot remove and place on my workbench. I mounted mine on the side of the frame with outdoor double sided mounting tape. I have done it on other bikes with no problems. You just have to make sure that you have the clearance.

View attachment 3126

Yeah, it was definitely a bit of a decision for me to make that first cut into a brand new piece on the bike. Then I thought about it and figured if I ever want to remove it for any reason, it's just a simple piece of plastic that would cost almost nothing to replace (well, "almost nothing" being a relative term when it comes to buying individual motorcycle parts :) )

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Also, I was worried about clearance for a steering damper. I have mounted stuff to access panels before, and after taking bikes apart, I try to avoid it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yeah, it was definitely a bit of a decision for me to make that first cut into a brand new piece on the bike. Then I thought about it and figured if I ever want to remove it for any reason, it's just a simple piece of plastic that would cost almost nothing to replace (well, "almost nothing" being a relative term when it comes to buying individual motorcycle parts :) )
About $12.00 I scratch mine a bit and I replaced it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice job , nice write up! I was looking for the power at the side panel! now i know where to look!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts