Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test rode the Indian FTR. overall gave a very good impression, and thought it would complement the FZ. FZ has the sportier tendencies for sure, but the FTR just has something else that pulls at me, and is really comfortable on bumpy roads.

it's a bit bigger than the FZ

·
Registered
436 Posts
Congrats!! Very nice! I'm retired and have to be a bit more careful financially or I would likely buy one....BUT I have a lifelong riding buddy thats getting one, and having a friend with one is the next best thing ?.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Vcyclenut, The suspension is very nice out of the box, a 200lb rider is right in the middle of adjustment. its taught, but compliant and the larger tires really soak up impacts. it also has a lot of travel for a street bike. Turn in is of course slow compared to the FZ, it has a 19" front tire and a long wheel base. The turning isn't bad for a bike of its size. I did a commute in "Standard" and it was real tame excellent predictable. Sport is what I like so far (I ride my FZ in A exclusively) Sport mode feels like more power on tap every where, but very predictable. I think the throttle feels nice, and no dead spots. Wheelies better (more predictably/smoother) than the FZ....I'm still in break in. Tires I need to judge with more miles and warmer temps, as they are now they step out easily traction control is un-obtrusive ie. it hasn't kicked in yet, oops I had it turned off.
there are 4 modes, not the three every one says. they are Rain,Standard, Sport, and Track. in track mode you can turn off the ABS/TC, and I think it stays off if you go back to sport from Track and don't turn it back on.
Power is good, lots of LOW down torque, from off idle to 6500-7000 where it hits a flat spot. Reviews say it picks up again but I haven't taken it thee yet. Its still in the break in. engine is smoother than I expected but has a buzzy zone.
seating is slightly more sporty than the stock FZ, but not as aggressive as my FZ is now. over all it feels very refined. people complain about it being over priced but I don't think so (S model) when you look at the components. I Know I have more in the FZ to get it to where I want it, and it still doesn't have an IMU ABS/Traction control (and I don't want that on the FZ). I also think you cant really pin it to any traditional catagory, it's kind of its own thing.
You also have to understand where I was coming from when I got it too. I've been really looking at a Vstrom 1000 or some such ADV, but nothing was really doing it for me. I wanted something....else. I think the FTR is as close to a "tourer" or "cruiser" as I'm ready to go at this point and I'm not afraid to take a fire road if I get the itch.
I knew it only had range equal to the FZ (a sore point with me) but it is more convenient to carry extra fuel on, there are nifty accessory mounts under the passenger handles. I miscalculated the passenger comfort though. While the engine and suspension are much more suited for a passenger than the FZ, the passenger pegs are very high, and my wifes knees are at an uncomfortably high angle. she is 5' 7" I want to get her on her own bike eventually though.
I'm about 5' 9" and have a 32" inseam I tip toe the bike but it's not a big deal. The FTR is I think the single best balanced bike I've ridden. The seat is much wider than I expected, wider even than some 4 cylinder liter bikes I've ridden. I find it comfortable right out of the box. Actually right out of the box its just pretty good. Quality is over all excellent except for some reason the switch gear is not tight on the bars. this is unique to the FTR, I checked every Indian in the show room, all the other models switch gear was rock solid, but all the FTRs felt like mine. also ALL my other bikes...ever, have had rock solid switch gear. I think I'll shim them with some electrical tape or old innertube. The exhaust sounds awful stock. NOT like a V twin should, it sounds buzzy and tinny, and quiet. I'm keeping the FZ. If the FZ is an F-16, the FTR is an F14.

·
Vendor
1,218 Posts
Vcyclenut, The suspension is very nice out of the box, a 200lb rider is right in the middle of adjustment. its taught, but compliant and the larger tires really soak up impacts. it also has a lot of travel for a street bike. Turn in is of course slow compared to the FZ, it has a 19" front tire and a long wheel base. The turning isn't bad for a bike of its size. I did a commute in "Standard" and it was real tame excellent predictable. Sport is what I like so far (I ride my FZ in A exclusively) Sport mode feels like more power on tap every where, but very predictable. I think the throttle feels nice, and no dead spots. Wheelies better (more predictably/smoother) than the FZ....I'm still in break in. Tires I need to judge with more miles and warmer temps, as they are now they step out easily traction control is un-obtrusive ie. it hasn't kicked in yet, oops I had it turned off.
there are 4 modes, not the three every one says. they are Rain,Standard, Sport, and Track. in track mode you can turn off the ABS/TC, and I think it stays off if you go back to sport from Track and don't turn it back on.
Power is good, lots of LOW down torque, from off idle to 6500-7000 where it hits a flat spot. Reviews say it picks up again but I haven't taken it thee yet. Its still in the break in. engine is smoother than I expected but has a buzzy zone.
seating is slightly more sporty than the stock FZ, but not as aggressive as my FZ is now. over all it feels very refined. people complain about it being over priced but I don't think so (S model) when you look at the components. I Know I have more in the FZ to get it to where I want it, and it still doesn't have an IMU ABS/Traction control (and I don't want that on the FZ). I also think you cant really pin it to any traditional catagory, it's kind of its own thing.
You also have to understand where I was coming from when I got it too. I've been really looking at a Vstrom 1000 or some such ADV, but nothing was really doing it for me. I wanted something....else. I think the FTR is as close to a "tourer" or "cruiser" as I'm ready to go at this point and I'm not afraid to take a fire road if I get the itch.
I knew it only had range equal to the FZ (a sore point with me) but it is more convenient to carry extra fuel on, there are nifty accessory mounts under the passenger handles. I miscalculated the passenger comfort though. While the engine and suspension are much more suited for a passenger than the FZ, the passenger pegs are very high, and my wifes knees are at an uncomfortably high angle. she is 5' 7" I want to get her on her own bike eventually though.
I'm about 5' 9" and have a 32" inseam I tip toe the bike but it's not a big deal. The FTR is I think the single best balanced bike I've ridden. The seat is much wider than I expected, wider even than some 4 cylinder liter bikes I've ridden. I find it comfortable right out of the box. Actually right out of the box its just pretty good. Quality is over all excellent except for some reason the switch gear is not tight on the bars. this is unique to the FTR, I checked every Indian in the show room, all the other models switch gear was rock solid, but all the FTRs felt like mine. also ALL my other bikes...ever, have had rock solid switch gear. I think I'll shim them with some electrical tape or old innertube. The exhaust sounds awful stock. NOT like a V twin should, it sounds buzzy and tinny, and quiet. I'm keeping the FZ. If the FZ is an F-16, the FTR is an F14.
Thanks for the detailed reply! sounds like a very cool bike. I had a customer put one of the short little cans I sell on his and he says it sounds great, cheap option if you wanted to go that way. they make one with a metal body like this and one with a full carbon body

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detailed reply! sounds like a very cool bike. I had a customer put one of the short little cans I sell on his and he says it sounds great, cheap option if you wanted to go that way. they make one with a metal body like this and one with a full carbon body

View attachment 157317
I kind of want to put the S&S Grand National high mount exhaust on it, but i worry about how close they are to the rear shock. I wouldnt want to cook it. And i kind of wish the heat shields were carbon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts